• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

League 2 Odds 2020/21

the difference is the players we have are used to losing and have been for 2 seasons. clubs do drop like stones sometimes, when the mentality is wrong. On paper we're too good to go down, but we have been the last couple of seasons too.
In a way we're in a worse position than under Sturrock. In a weird way they all started afresh with a clean slate, coz we had no players. At least there were no players with the hangover of losing every week

I'm not sure that is true, we never really put anything in place to stay in L1, we relied on older players to get us straight up into the championship and when they faded we had no foundations to fall back on, for me there are a lot od parallels with Sturrock because we haven't got the senior players that are used to losing, we had a good clear out in Jan and at the end of the season, we are left with young players that want to prove a point with a new manager and a clean slate.

I'm not saying that we are too good to go down, no-one really is, the key thing is the squad won't believe it either so will be fighthing all the way

Although there are discussions about Sturrocks initial season and the losing mentality that some of the current players have gone through I wonder how they will manage in stadiums with few or no fans for the foreseeable. I just wonder how current events may impact on all teams; no fans, no real pre-season and clubs that have had little or no income etc ...

This has probably been mentioned before on another thread ( can’t be bothered to check ) , but I actually think playing without a crowd might suit our young squad as they try to start and progress their careers under a new manager.
Certainly the freedom to play at home without their first mistakes being seized upon with negative groans and not having to suffer away fan abuse might help the youngsters settle a bit.

That said , I can’t wait to get back to watching live football *

( * and moaning at our youngsters after their first mistake )

Its too early to say Play's Off's or Promotion, but this squad is too good for non league
Is it? This is the squad that lost to Dover in the FA Cup plus the bottom half of League 1 isn't really much better in terms of quality than most of League 2. Look at Scunthorpe, they were relegated in 2019 and they finished 20th in League 2 this season. If we don't bring some reinforcements in then there's a very real danger we're going to struggle unless MM finds a way to get our players playing at a higher standard than last year. My opinion will change if the embargo is lifted and we bring in some solid players but right now survival is the objective.

Anyone know where one could place a bet on Goodship to be League 2 top scorer for this season? All major bookies seem to be awful with League 2 odds markets. Cheers!

In the last two seasons I have been hopelessly off the mark (like many others I suspect) as far as far predictions go. In 18/19 I believed us to be totally safe from relegation, and, I could have never anticipated the dire season we endured last year.
The present landscape looks so different from that of previous years (competitive games starting in September, different pre season training environments, playing behind closed doors etc) that it must make any kind of prediction even more of a guess than is usually the case.
Trying to make sense of what our prospects might be is also is especially challenging as we do not yet know if we will be adding to the squad, or, who if anyone, will be leaving.
The fact that the vast majority of our team have playing and training together for some years, firstly in our Youth set up, then at Under 23 level, and, latterly, for the first team must be an advantage, and, may even go some way to compensate for the managerial appointment being made later than was ideal.
There are many unknowns to consider in trying to guess how things might unfold.
Will Humphrys, and/or Kelman be staying? At his best Humphrys woulds surely be a very effective striker in league 2. As noted by Rigsby earlier in the week a Humphrys/Kelman strike force should be above average for League 2. If both were to go one can see goals being harder to come by, although that might depend on who were signed as replacements.
Another unknown is how much any of our large contingent of young and inexperienced group of Academy products can improve over the next nine months. Last season the likes of Clifford, Kinali, Gard, Phillips and Mitchell Nelson (and others....this list is not exhaustive) hinted they might develop into decent players. They are at the age where dramatic improvement is possible, and, should two or more of this cohort register such improvement we might yet be a force to be reckoned with. It is also by no means uncommon for players aged between 19-22 to hint at a bright future only to quickly sink to the lower leagues. In three years time how many of our academy group will be playing in the Championship or better or how many will have given up football or be playing at much lower level than Division 2 ? The answer to that question would surely give us a very good idea of what kind of season lies in store for us.
Lennon is another wild card in the mix. If he does knuckle down and avoid injury he has the potential to anchor the defence and be a key player. If he suffers injuries, or, is ineffective we would surely have to bring in a new player to replace him, and, by then, we might already be struggling.
We should know much more in four to six week's time. Even by then I suspect that there might still be some decent players available on free transfers. Hopefully, MM has an eye for a good player, as, if he does, it might yet be possible to sign one or two impactful players.
There are so many unknowns in play I would say that, in the circumstances, 25/1 seems a fair price.
My thoughts are that we are due some luck, and, should it be forthcoming, we could be challenging for a play off space. However, for that to happen we would have to find effective replacements for any players who might leave, and, as already said, some of the younger group will have to make their presence felt.

Anyone know where one could place a bet on Goodship to be League 2 top scorer for this season? All major bookies seem to be awful with League 2 odds markets. Cheers!
Most shrinks will probably take your ££'s Who's going to supply him?

Most shrinks will probably take your ££'s Who's going to supply him?
As Southend fans, surely we’re all living off of blind faith! ? Thought it worth a fiver at long odds!
Under MM he’s used to scoring goals.

No being realistic - I am going

10 quid champions

10 quid automatics

10 quid play off winners

I think we have a good mix of youth and experience ... and the journeymen have gone.

Keen young-ish manager.

Most importantly - even when going down - goals in the team ..

Looking forward to a really successful season building on our youthful team of last year

For anyone as delusional as me, Goodship to be top scorer is at 200/1 on SkyBet.

Back