• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Bolton Wanderers 3-0 Southend United

Goodship is certainly an Enigma, I think against the majority view , there is a striker in there lurking at this level. He was the only striker in the starting eleven upfront with Dieng or Olayinka trying to get forward to support.
I also thought he worked hard covering some yardage and trying to press but like Rush last week he missed yet again one golden opportunity.
In fact we managed to miss 3.
He also carries a strikers instinct but yet to come off and I don’t think you score as many goals as he did, albeit at a lower level, without a sharp functioning brain
Sometimes he gets a head of himself
Strikers we know more than anyone else need confidence. They score in big patches especially when a few go into the net even if it’s off the backside, They score in 3 monthly spells or in a season , followed by not being able to hit a barn door and then of course there is the key issue of supply
Goodship has contributed to some of our quickest passages of smart pass interchanges. Equally he has spells of really poor first touch and control
7 times this let him down, including the strange dummy, poor quick flicks, and losing possession on many occasions
Sadly we can’t afford that many of those and highlights the critical nature of our obvious major failing

We could take some lessons in recruitment from Bolton, embargo or not. Santos their commanding centre half spent years in non league football, much of it in Essex and was at Barnet with Akinola. We sign Hobson, no comparison. They pick up fit veterans like Baptiste, who had a super game yesterday while we sign old crocks who can't last a game. They have a midfield schemer who is also highly combative, Sarcevic, while we persist with an injury limited Demetriou out of position. They take an on loan winger from Luton who has pace and crossing ability while we persist with a luxury premiership club starlet like Sterling, and play one of our few promising loanees, a decent central midfielder in Olyinka out of position. They are starting to fire now with a strong spine and players of proven ability who didn't cost the earth.

Egbri hurtles about like a young spaniel, he covers significant ground at pace , constantly harassing, and is more instrumental at closing players down than anyone. At least worth a 6 for me
Countless times he ran back from our failing attacks to close down their left winger and help preserve the
Defensive strength of our right flank. Yes he might not have got the tackle in but ran 30 yards to stop their winger forcing him to turn back, this
Type of contribution shouldn’t be underestimated any more than the free kicks he won. He also managed 2 shots at goal, one decent and 2 good crosses
However he is another let down by poor first touches 5 in all, losing possession and neither is that up to standard

SOUTHEND United manager Mark Molesley insists he feels sick looking at the League Two table.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links
Join the club Mark most of us have felt totally sick over the last two seasons. Personally I wish you and your back up team well and most of us realise your hands are tied at the moment........so sad for all concerned !

SOUTHEND United manager Mark Molesley insists he feels sick looking at the League Two table.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

I feel sick looking at my phone at 4.45 every Saturday then having to go to work on a Monday & have the pi$$ ripped out of me with the inevitable “So how did Southend get on this weekend” line from colleagues followed by a round of laughter?
Join the queue Mark Molesley..

I was hoping to get a point at Bolton. At a goal down half time, i hoped to see us grab a leveller, we'd looked good at times. Regarding the penalty, White's leg went across their player and the ball went straight on, nailed down pen for me. I was more annoyed at us leaving two v 1 in the box when it got whipped back in from Bolton for the first goal. Not sure where Hobson was but Elvis has to go across and cover next to White.
Bolton looked threatening, we looked powder puff.
In a nutshell, the silly mistakes have mostly gone as more experience in the team but no one looks like banging it in. And Bolton are an in form team right now and hunting for goals and points. We couldnt live with them. Man of the match for us, i cant say anyone stood out.
Good game to watch, definetly not all one sided, result as expected realistically. Next.

Bwomono - steady game but he has to improve, enthusiasm is good but he needs to be more vocal, better postionally and be more decisive both attacking and defending - 5

Elvis is our most decisive player in possession and it is not even close.

The best example was when he read play, intercepted a wayward pass, drove forward and then picked out Egbri(?) with an excellent pass.

In recent weeks our best chances have all come from moves instigated by him and the opposition's chances have all come from moves down our left flank yet Elvis continues to attract bull**** criticism whilst those who haven't created as much and have leaked goals escape the same scrutiny.

Goodship is certainly an Enigma, I think against the majority view , there is a striker in there lurking at this level.

I couldn't disagree more. He is the emperor's new clothing.

There is no substance whatsoever to him. He's not quick, he's not strong, he's not good in the air, he doesn't get behind defences, he misplays passes, he can't shield the ball, he's not a good finisher, he doesn't anticipate.

We've seen plenty of poor forwards over the years but even the likes of Michael Husbands (pace), Drewe Broughton (aerial ability) had something to their game. The only thing Goodship does, other than frustrate, is peel away into the inside left channel but he then doesn't do anything with it.

Egbri hurtles about like a young spaniel, he covers significant ground at pace , constantly harassing, and is more instrumental at closing players down than anyone. At least worth a 6 for me
Countless times he ran back from our failing attacks to close down their left winger and help preserve the
Defensive strength of our right flank. Yes he might not have got the tackle in but ran 30 yards to stop their winger forcing him to turn back, this
Type of contribution shouldn’t be underestimated any more than the free kicks he won. He also managed 2 shots at goal, one decent and 2 good crosses
However he is another let down by poor first touches 5 in all, losing possession and neither is that up to standard

....but he loses control, can't pass, can't shoot and is 4 foot tall and weak, apart from that!

I couldn't disagree more. He is the emperor's new clothing.

There is no substance whatsoever to him. He's not quick, he's not strong, he's not good in the air, he doesn't get behind defences, he misplays passes, he can't shield the ball, he's not a good finisher, he doesn't anticipate.

We've seen plenty of poor forwards over the years but even the likes of Michael Husbands (pace), Drewe Broughton (aerial ability) had something to their game. The only thing Goodship does, other than frustrate, is peel away into the inside left channel but he then doesn't do anything with it.

Regarding Goodship this is 100% correct, he offers nothing at this level, has no particular standout attribute and is nothing more than a raffle winner who's playing professional football, he probably cant believe it himself. I don't think I've really seen him win a header or a tackle and he's missed plenty of chances, worst thing though he doesn't even make a general nuisance of himself if he cant contribute technically, defenders get an easy ride against him.

For some of these lads, the likes of Goodship this is probably last chance saloon for being a Pro - you think they'd being giving it the kitchen sink trying to make a name for themselves one way or another.

I used to think Matt Harrold was pony all those years ago but Goodship makes Matt Harrold look like Alan Shearer.

Regarding Goodship this is 100% correct, he offers nothing at this level, has no particular standout attribute and is nothing more than a raffle winner who's playing professional football, he probably cant believe it himself. I don't think I've really seen him win a header or a tackle and he's missed plenty of chances, worst thing though he doesn't even make a general nuisance of himself if he cant contribute technically, defenders get an easy ride against him.

For some of these lads, the likes of Goodship this is probably last chance saloon for being a Pro - you think they'd being giving it the kitchen sink trying to make a name for themselves one way or another.

I used to think Matt Harrold was pony all those years ago but Goodship makes Matt Harrold look like Alan Shearer.

Gawd, what we’d do for Matthew Harrold right now

[/QUOTE)

Hi Taunton Shrimper

We are just down the road from you in Axminster and looking forward to a visit to Exeter away at some point but I think it’s more likely to be Yeovil in the NL.

Back