• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Pre-Match Thread Grimsby Town v Southend United, Saturday 16th January, 15:00, FL2

Starting XI and Result

• Mark Oxley

Votes: 80 86.0%
  • Elvis Bwomono

Votes: 77 82.8%
  • John White

Votes: 78 83.9%
  • Shaun Hobson

Votes: 82 88.2%
  • Sam Hart

• Tom Clifford

Votes: 12 12.9%
  • Alan McCormack

Votes: 58 62.4%
  • Jason Demetriou

Votes: 37 39.8%
  • Kyle Taylor

Votes: 65 69.9%
  • Timothee Dieng

• James Olayinka

Votes: 56 60.2%
  • Ashley Nathaniel-George

Votes: 45 48.4%
  • Reeco Hackett-Fairchild

Votes: 75 80.6%
  • Terrell Egbri

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Simeon Akinola

Votes: 79 84.9%
  • Emile Acquah

• Richard Taylor

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Louis Walsh

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Michael Klass

• Harry Phillips

• Harry Kyprianou

• Harry Seaden

Votes: 3 3.2%
  • Win

Votes: 46 49.5%
  • Draw

Votes: 15 16.1%
  • Lose

Votes: 7 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Do you know if Newport had to recompense us at all after the late postponement ?
They did indeed, all of the travel costs including coach fees as well as x 19 rooms at the travel lodge in Filton. My pal Desmond is relief manager there and said the boys were absolutely livid after hearing the news so they were.

PS I put Cleethorpes into the metoffice website as, for those who haven't been, that's where Blundell Park is, not in Grimsby. Although in reality that's like saying somewhere is in Shoeburyness, not in Southend!

View attachment 13996

Thanks for reminding me what a dump that place is!. For that game in 2005 we stayed overnight in a decent large B & B establishment, on the Sat night which was pretty good.
On a Sun morning, it looked even worse!.

Who was at Grimsby when we needed to win to secure auto promotion but we drew 1-1 and that saved Grimsby from relegation to Conference? We were pressing for the winner after Freddie equalised but the home fans invaded and then stood on the goal line and byline to ensure the draw. The ref obliged and blew up early. My son, now in Hong Kong, was vitriolic in his condemnation of the Grimsby fans when we spoke today. It still rankles but it did mean a trip to Cardiff and that play-off final win over Lincoln. Freddie and Juppy thank you.

Who was at Grimsby when we needed to win to secure auto promotion but we drew 1-1 and that saved Grimsby from relegation to Conference? We were pressing for the winner after Freddie equalised but the home fans invaded and then stood on the goal line and byline to ensure the draw. The ref obliged and blew up early. My son, now in Hong Kong, was vitriolic in his condemnation of the Grimsby fans when we spoke today. It still rankles but it did mean a trip to Cardiff and that play-off final win over Lincoln. Freddie and Juppy thank you.

Yep I was there that day, their fans came across the pitch at the end, but not much happened that I recall

Yes, was there that day.

Yep. I remember someone in blackface in a Hi Tec kit dressed as Ian Benjamin.

I was there for that one as well.

Shame we can't be there tomorrow as I have a feeling it is the time for long over due revenge, not that I am bitter :Smile:

Yes i have, its been superb, not sure what your point is?
[/QUOTEyou said" I doubt we will continue this good run of form and there will be a wobble! Personally I think the good form will continue and I cant see us getting beat at home for a while yet.

Grimsby are going to be up for this. we are one team they really won't want to lose to as it means them going bottom. I can see a frantic first 15 / 20 minutes where we may just have to contain them. Obviously they aren't great so with our recent form you'd like to think once they blow themselves out we should dominate the game, but we've got to be careful not to go behind early on.
Quite the opposite I cant see grimsby being up for it at all! They have been getting beaten by poor sides and there confidence must be shot!! Paul hurst hasnt managed to bring any fresh faces in and so we need to be up and at em from the start.

Was more critical of Carl very-overrated Pettefer who missed a five-yard sitter in the first half!

Living about 10 mins from Grimsby and there is no snow here, it's a bit soggy but it's been dry today so unless something changes overnight I would expect the game to go ahead.

Grimsby fans seem to be pretty depressed at the moment and the majority are expecting very little from their squad at the moment so we need to go out on the front foot and take the wind out of their sails.

Agrred.......but that’s not how we play.

We need to be very careful about their right hand side. It is the strongest part of their side with Hendrie and Morais, and it contrasts with our weakest side which is down our left. Wing backs out of the question tomorrow and arguably we'd need to bring Clifford in with Sam Hart on the left wing to try and ensure we have sufficient defensive cover there.

They were a real threat down that side in the RH game. I would be surprised if MM hasn't considered this and adjusted his team selection accordingly.

We should concentrate of what’s made us one of the top form clubs in the league and let them worry about us. No way we should come away from this without any points at all really and all this talk about history, we hadn’t beaten barrow since 1978 and look what Happened there.

2-1 Southend

4-3-2-1 Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Hart
Demi Macca Dieng
Olayinka H/ Fairchild
Akinola
Subs Seaden Taylor ,Ang, K Taylor Clifford Walsh Kyps

4-3-2-1 Oxley
Elvis White Hobson Hart
Demi Macca Dieng
Olayinka H/ Fairchild
Akinola
Subs Seaden Taylor ,Ang, K Taylor Clifford Walsh Kyps
Agree apart from K Taylor should be first name on the team sheet and also Demi should now be at least 3rd choice midfielder......negative and slow.......Ang and Walsh both in front of him !

I don’t see Clifford and Hart as the best defenders together, leave far too much ch space and easily get out of position, surprisingly ANG has proven to offer more cover defensively when Hart is at left back

Agree apart from K Taylor should be first name on the team sheet and also Demi should now be at least 3rd choice midfielder......negative and slow.......Ang and Walsh both in front of him !

You’d play Nathaniel-George or Walsh who are both wingers in central midfield rather than Demi who’s played there all season? Glad you’re not picking the team!

Back