• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend Utd 0-1 Bolton Wanderers

Formation is a basic problem I'm afraid. We never look like scoring...never get down the line...behind the defence...never. One of the highlights of the game for our team today was a stumbling barely in control run from Akinola that ended with him falling over...there...That right there was a highlight. Not a shot..not a killer cross...
Stick to the basics with a 4 4 2..easy to understand for our clearly limited players...get wide..get crosses in the box...turn the opposition round a bit. Really simple stuff that we just don't do. A bit cliche but we could have played all day today and not even troubled the keeper.
Get Hart on the left wing...get ANG on the right. We have full backs that like to overlap it's so simple. But no we have some bull#$$= convoluted set up that congests the middle of the park and limits the space for our limited players to even pass to each other. The issues we face are so basic yet so obviously our own making and when I say OUR making I mean the gaffer I'm afraid.

No they don’t. The agents and the PFA would be having a field day of clubs were trying to fine players for making footballing errors ? You simply cannot and no one would ever fine players for football errors in games
Obviously you ain’t been in the game have you, I used to get fined for things you wouldn’t believe when I was at Norwich and I was 17 at the time.

Draw would have been a fairer result. What would be fairer still would be letting 3 up from the National League because it's bordering on criminal that one of Barrow, Grimsby or us will be a league side next season.

Obviously you ain’t been in the game have you, I used to get fined for things you wouldn’t believe when I was at Norwich and I was 17 at the time.

Misbehaviour, lateness, forgetting shin pads, bringing wrong kit......quite possibly

But a pro footballer fined for missing a shot, dropping a cross, miscontrolling the ball..... ???? do me a favour.

Ive been ‘in the game’ plenty....at all levels in many capacities.

Ah you talking jokey team fines for the pot for the end of season do, like for being late, nutmegged etc.

What is all this praise for Holmes? Apart from chasing the goalkeeper down and making him shank the ball, I thought all he did was try to get free kicks by falling over. Didn't think he was that impressive. I think people should lay off Oxley. When a goalkeeper makes a mistake it is more noticeable and often leads to a goal. When an outfield player makes a mistake there are other players around that can help out. Look at Halford's mistake and pathetic tackle the other week that lead to a goal. Oxley has saved us many times. He is allowed some mistakes he is not superhuman.

Misbehaviour, lateness, forgetting shin pads, bringing wrong kit......quite possibly

But a pro footballer fined for missing a shot, dropping a cross, miscontrolling the ball..... ???? do me a favour.

Ive been ‘in the game’ plenty....at all levels in many capacities.
I could name a player that got fined last month for missing a penalty, and others do too, it’s part of the game.

1st Half Dull, lets all defend and hope by freak accident we somehow score a goal.

2nd half, oh hang on bolton are not that great maybe we should try and press them a bit and hope by freak accident we score a goal.

We look like we don't know how to score, there is no pattern to our play, we dont have any attacking tactics to get it down the wing, play this way or that, its all just run around a bit faster and lets hope something happens. Its not lack of effort in the 2nd half, you can see they tried it just looks like there is no structure to what they are trying to do once we have the ball.

Fingers crossed when holmes, ranger and co. are fully match fit they can work it out.

I disagree with the comment about us not having any attacking tactics or structure. We're playing a 4-3-3 with inverted wingers, encouraging Nathaniel-George and Hackett-Fairchild to come inside onto their stronger foot. It was exactly this that led to RHF scoring on his debut against Barrow, and ANG getting a number of shots away at the beginning of the second half (having eschewed the opportunity in the first half).

That formation also allows our full-backs to overlap on the outside and, especially in the case of Clifford/Hart on the left-hand side, utilise their delivery into the penalty area. The tactic is generally to get the ball forward a lot quicker now into Akinola, if he's playing centrally, and his job is to hold the ball up and bring those wide players into the game. I thought Clifford in particular linked up really well with Akinola in the second half in that respect. It's not bringing us loads of goals, but that's because none of our forward players (and even Ranger as and when he is fit) have a record of being prolific in the league.

What is does do, however, is make us harder to break down at the back. Without wishing to get bogged down in too much talk about formations, whether you start with a 4-3-3 or a 4-2-3-1, there's a lot less chance that we'll get over-run in midfield. That's probably where the back 5 experiment in January emanated from, but that nullifies our attacking threat as it leaves the forward isolated. 4-4-2 means that there aren't enough bodies in the centre of the pitch, and doesn't play to our strengths given that it means we have two non-prolific forwards up top (or a non-prolific forward and a defender playing as a forward when Halford is there) rather than one forward and two wingers in a 4-3-3 (with ANG, RHF, Egbri, Holmes, even Olaynika able to play in that position, or Akinola if Ranger becomes available).

On the wider game, and the substitutions, I think Molesley was trying to get us the three points rather than one, and we shouldn't be too critical of that. That goal could easily have come if Clifford and/or Ferguson were still on the pitch, and - as tempting as it is to say that we could've settled for a comfortable point - three points would've been massive with Grimsby not playing and Barrow losing. Hart is a more attacking full-back than Clifford, so there was some sense behind that, and Acquah had played well at Cambridge and brought another body up front at the expense of a midfielder. You can quibble over whether the midfielder withdrawn should've been Demetriou rather than Ferguson, who has been very composed since joining the club. It was a gamble, but having done well in the second half to that point, it was worth it to try and get the victory.

And on Oxley, as much as it is a howler, it cost us one point in real terms. He earned us two with his injury time save at Newport eleven days earlier, so it's worth keeping everything in perspective.

Ah you talking jokey team fines for the pot for the end of season do, like for being late, nutmegged etc.
See if you can Ask ranger what he got fined for last time he was with us and it’s none of the above:Smile:

I could name a player that got fined last month for missing a penalty, and others do too, it’s part of the game.

There may well be a players ‘fine’ for missing a penalty. It would be on a pre determined list of ‘fun fines’ compiled by the players before the season to go into a pot for an end of season ‘do’ or a charity donation.

Finishing a game and the manager or the powers that be saying “that was ****, I’m fining you £100” simply doesn’t happen and would be laughed at by an agent and a player before telling them where to go.

Not sure why so many of you are moaning about the Clifford substitution. He got clumped a few minutes before. Lets hope he is ok for Wednesday.

The thing with the goal that makes it look worse, is that Oxley looks so casual, a bit like when they had an early chance in 1st half (I think it was the West Ham loanee) that shot across the goal and only just went wide.

Not sure why so many of you are moaning about the Clifford substitution. He got clumped a few minutes before. Lets hope he is ok for Wednesday.
If it was an injury, fair do's. And agreed, hope he's ok as he played very well today.

Feel very low after that defeat. Not saying we deserved to win but to lose and in that fashion it's hard to take. Yes Oxley made a mistake but our inability to create chances and score is putting more pressure on the defence. However, Bolton were on top first half but we stood firm and second half we were the better team. 0-0 prob would have been a fair score line. The main issue is our set up, or the players chosen in that set up. We seem to set up not to concede and then hope to score or sneak a winner which is a dangerous game to play. We must find a way to get on t of teams and take adavantage. Again ANG did much right but needs to learn to release the ball sooner or take a shot. Reeco has been disappointing and a fit Holmes must start ahead of him. Akinola again worked so hard but gets zero service. Him off a Ranger or Simpson would probably work better. But every point lost, every defeat is a potential nail in our coffin. We can not simply hope to rely on others to **** up. We must do our job properly. Unless MM can find the right formula then we could be in trouble. Stevenage pulling away but Barrow and Grimsby now have two games in hand. Yes they have to get points from them but we look after ourselves and not worry about others

What is all this praise for Holmes? Apart from chasing the goalkeeper down and making him shank the ball, I thought all he did was try to get free kicks by falling over. Didn't think he was that impressive. I think people should lay off Oxley. When a goalkeeper makes a mistake it is more noticeable and often leads to a goal. When an outfield player makes a mistake there are other players around that can help out. Look at Halford's mistake and pathetic tackle the other week that lead to a goal. Oxley has saved us many times. He is allowed some mistakes he is not superhuman.

Maybe you went into the game subconsciously not wanting to be impressed? He showed more quick and direct running with the ball at his fit than anyone else has this season, bar maybe Olayinka

See if you can Ask ranger what he got fined for last time he was with us and it’s none of the above:Smile:
Never heard of fines for on field behaviour unless related to cards etc.
Off field I have, normally regarding dress code etc certainly a new one on me.

Back