• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The relegation mini-league

MM has to really show his metal now, we have a huge squad now, of his players. He has to get them performing and points on the board regardless of opposition in next 3 games. Anything less than 6 points now and I think its time to give him the flick.

I don't agree. Our next three games are against three of the best sides in the division, FGR, Cheltenham and Salford. If we get any points against them I will be pleased. However we then have a run of six games against sides that we can and should beat so I will be looking for 12 to 15 points out of those fixtures. By the end of March there will only be eight games left.....

What's "false" about going above team who by definition have fewer points? If you have more points than an opponent, you're above them in the table. There's nothing false about it.
I take your point, however that is not a fair comparison. You seem to forget they have the possibility of an extra 6 points as they have games in hand. Yes I know they have to win to get them but when we all have played the same amount of games then you will see how s***e we really are.

I don't agree. Our next three games are against three of the best sides in the division, FGR, Cheltenham and Salford. If we get any points against them I will be pleased. However we then have a run of six games against sides that we can and should beat so I will be looking for 12 to 15 points out of those fixtures. By the end of March there will only be eight games left.....

.......we’ve got three successive home matches......Oh........

Get behind them ffs. 17 games still to be played!
Been behind this lot for 53 years and have never seen it as bad as this. As for getting behind them, if we were in the ground there would be nothing but shouts of encouragement from me. However this is an opinion. Sorry, it differs from yours

Last edited:
Please go on, these are just old arguments you and I have discussed and disagreed on. You still haven't told me who comes in and what our strongest 11 is..
Knowing Shrimpet Steve, his line up would be

Holmes

Holmes,Holmes, Holmes, Holmes

Holmes, Holmes

Bench:Akinola.

Manager:Holmes.

Thats this week though, when he doesn't score, there will be another saviour i'm sure.

I take your point, however that is not a fair comparison. You seem to forget they have the possibility of an extra 6 points as they have games in hand. Yes I know they have to win to get them but when we all have played the same amount of games then you will see how s***e we really are.

I would rather have the points on the board rather than the games in hand. I seem to recall (could be wrong) that the start of the demise for Mr Sturrock was a run of games against teams at the bottom of the table including games in hand with poor results.

Holmes

Holmes, Holmes

Thats this week though, when he doesn't score, there will be another saviour i'm sure.

No you forgot Ranger & Taylor who should be starting even though the manager says they're not fit ?

this is where I am...even if we in mid table safety I wouldn’t expect points from tonight or Cheltenham....we need to not panic and pick points from the mid table / lower half teams ...there are still plenty of those games left...if we lose them..well, the fat lady will be about to enter stage left

Holmes

Holmes, Holmes

R they all related ?

If we lose our next 3 then we will probably have to win 7 out of our last 14 games to even have a chance of staying up.
We need to go from relegation form to play off form, pretty much from now onwards.

I think four points from the next three games would, in the circumstances, be a reasonable return. You talk of teams we should beat, I seem to remember that was the case in January and IIRC, that didn't go too well! I haven't done the research but relegation, when it comes down to the last dozen games, could depend on those who have more fixtures against mid-table sides (who have little or nothing to play for) rather than teams in a promotion or relegation dog fight.

We will 100% be relegated this season.

But that doesn't mean I'm going to stop cheering on the lads for every minute of every game.

If we are in the stadiums for the last games of the season I'm having a party in the stands ? even if we are relegated, ill be singing my heart out for the team ❤

And I know, the majority of you would be doing the same.

Southend till I die, I'm Southend till I die, I know I am I'm sure I am, I'm Southend Till I die!

I feel the majority of teams in this league are all pretty equal in terms of consistency, or rather, lack of it. I just don't see the difference in standard as very much at all between most teams. For those reasons, I'm not sure league standings of the re!maiming fixtures will be much of a guide.
I've a feeling it will be about which teams show the most desire, guts, psssion. Teams that manage to play a settled and largely experienced side each week that have got used to each other all season.
Our odds don't stack up too well using my thoughts. The youngsters like RHF and ANG and Aquah need to put a foot in and battle, rather than the stand off jogging stuff, and our experienced guys need to show what dropping out the league would mean to them.

Holmes

Holmes, Holmes

Weak bench IMO

Back