• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The relegation mini-league

Assuming Grimsby don’t muster enough points , it’s really us or ColU for the final place.
We simply have to beat them to have any chance.

Jonny i have no idea how Walsall have been getting away with it week after week, thats 4 draws for them and quite frankly they look the worst team ive seen, worse than us even. Typical O's, turning it on when you feel you have to raise your game, i'm in no doubt you'll stuff us once more in the coming weeks

It's called not losing, you should try it some time !

I hold little bit of hope, but we have to rely on colchester not winning! If we can somehow close the gap on them by the time 20th April comes around, you never know...... Lets hope their something on the line!

It's going to be so difficult to survive. The games are running out and we have no strikers. Our top scorers on 3 each are Dieng, Olayinka and Clifford. No striker to be seen. That is shocking. If you had your top striker on 10 by this time of the season, you would say that was poor. We need a miracle.
What chance our strikers got of filling their boots, we play them alone upfront, theyve always got 2 or 3 defenders on them. David Crown would blank every week in this team.

Ok so this weekend we are looking for an Oldham win and a Crawley defeat.
If yesterday's game between these two sides is anything to go by we must stand half a chance (but please don't look at Oldham's home record this season).

Mansfield fan here in peace. Hoping you guys have enough to survive... so long as it isn't at our expense! I still think we may need two more draws to get over the line...

Your game v Colchester will decide it for that last relegation spot I think. Obviously it won't be winner takes all on the day, but if you're within three or four points of them at that point it will be a very interesting game both in terms of the table and psychologically, going into the final few games.

Good luck!

Mansfield fan here in peace. Hoping you guys have enough to survive... so long as it isn't at our expense! I still think we may need two more draws to get over the line...

Your game v Colchester will decide it for that last relegation spot I think. Obviously it won't be winner takes all on the day, but if you're within three or four points of them at that point it will be a very interesting game both in terms of the table and psychologically, going into the final few games.

Good luck!

hows our good friend MacLaughlin getting on ?

hows our good friend MacLaughlin getting on ?

He's looked quite average in a very average side, if I'm being completely honest.

Aside from one really good goal scored from a direct free kick, he's not really done too much of any note. Loses the ball once or twice per game in dangerous positions, set pieces generally poor (corners not beating the first man... criminal!). Looks ok in spells, though.

To be fair to him, he's been tried at left-back, attacking midfield and more recently as a defensive midfielder, so hasn't exactly been settled. He's looked better since slotting in at DM.

He signed a contract extension in January until the end of the season. I can't see him making the cut for next season's squad.

Good luck!

There's no chance of you going down. You have too many points, and the 4 teams at the bottom aren't winning all their games, and won't be. So no chance of you finishing bottom 2. Also, we're a bad team playing badly. You're a good team playing badly.

What chance our strikers got of filling their boots, we play them alone upfront, theyve always got 2 or 3 defenders on them. David Crown would blank every week in this team.

Lol, I don't think so. David Crown was very direct. He used to get the ball and turn and take on defenders, no matter how many in front of him. He also had pace to beat them in a race. And of course, a great finisher. He would still score at least 14 by now, even in this team. Please open your eyes, our strikers are extremely poor, and need it on a plate. Crowny could do it on his own.

He's looked quite average in a very average side, if I'm being completely honest.

Aside from one really good goal scored from a direct free kick, he's not really done too much of any note. Loses the ball once or twice per game in dangerous positions, set pieces generally poor (corners not beating the first man... criminal!). Looks ok in spells, though.

To be fair to him, he's been tried at left-back, attacking midfield and more recently as a defensive midfielder, so hasn't exactly been settled. He's looked better since slotting in at DM.

He signed a contract extension in January until the end of the season. I can't see him making the cut for next season's squad.
This has blown my mind

From a recent match report (v Carlisle in Mid-March)

"McLaughlin - 7.5. A solid performance in a defensive midfield role, and of course the all-important equaliser with a free kick from outside the box. Nigel Clough noted though that he didn’t hold his defensive midfield position in the build-up to the Carlisle goal and was instead making a run forward."

He's started at DM in most games since.

There's no chance of you going down. You have too many points, and the 4 teams at the bottom aren't winning all their games, and won't be. So no chance of you finishing bottom 2. Also, we're a bad team playing badly. You're a good team playing badly.

Highly unlikely as you say, but there's still nerves until it's over! We had a very good run of five wins in a row in December/January. It will keep us up.

Sounds strangely familiar

Who would have thought it was going to be Col Ewe or us?
Oh! The irony!

PS. Yes, I have considered a Grimsby revival but not for more than 10 seconds...

Back