• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Should we stick with Phil Brown?

Should we keep Phil Brown as manager regardless of what division we're in?

• Total voters
We don't need to answer for 6 weeks. If we are still in L2 then why not but I can't see it in the NL.
Leaving it for another 6 weeks feels like repeating last seasons mistakes. I suspect if PB does go, we will be in limbo for weeks while Ron delays his next decision. Another delay to any recruitment and pre-season for next year.

True, but just can't really see brown wanting to manage in the National league.

What do you think his better offers will be?

I'm going to wait until end of season before I take a view on this. Phil Brown is a few years older than his last term with us and the best he's managed as a manager is in India. That's not to be derogatory to Indian football but I don't see English league clubs queuing up to offer him a contract. So I'll see how he gets on with us over the rest of our games, not just on results, but the style we play and how he leads the team.

He failed at Swindon as well after us.

The words of the commentator at Wembley when we played Wycombe .We went one down then pigott scored the equaliser .HE stated this Southend united side never know when they are beaten .He heaped praise on phil browns teams fighting spirit .Lets hope history repeats its self .

Leaving it for another 6 weeks feels like repeating last seasons mistakes. I suspect if PB does go, we will be in limbo for weeks while Ron delays his next decision. Another delay to any recruitment and pre-season for next year.

And the season before's mistake with Bond....

Still Brown will probably only have to match Molesley's results in the reverse fixtures (ie beat Col Ewe, Barrow and Newport, draw at Exeter and he's already drawn v Crawley - anything v Orient a bonus) to keep us up. I think if we stay up this year we should be ok next year as we'd have bottomed out with results in the second half much better than the first half - where I'd be scared is if we go down as at least we know this division - we now know what sort of budget is required to be competitive, we know which of our current players can hack it at this level, we know what our revenue streams should be etc. If we go down. That's when things can spiral out of control again - either on the playing field or financially. There's a possibility that the top half of the conference is stronger than the bottom half of the League Two but we'd have to slash costs and Ron is already struggling to hold things together financially.

If we do go down Fagan would be the obvious choice. He'd provide continuity, he'd know the u23s, he'd be cheap but Ron loves a PR stunt and Fagan ain't shifting many season tickets.

I am keeping an open mind on this one. Brown loves the sound of his own voice and in my view was instrumental in taking the Club down a route that was not affordable.

Any manager is only doing what an owner wants.

I didn't agree with the ridiculously steep increase in wages for the 2nd season of L2 because PB had proved he was good value on a lower budget.....I'm am convinced Ron thought the stadium was imminent. With BL to fund it, he wanted to sell as as a Championship club. Obviously that would be more attractive to certain buyers and must put several million on the asking price.

It's cheaper, in the short term, not to pay manager over the summer break

I'd say it all depends on Ron. If he continues his lack of direction and funding of the past couple of years I doubt PB will stick around regardless of division.
If Ron suddenly discovers the missing warchest and says to PB 'there's the keys, knock yourself out.' Then I could well see PB being manager even in the National League.

For me it would be a mistake having PB as manager in the National League, it's a division that's proved time and again you need some kind of experience at that level. If we're down there I just hope Ron has kept Darren Currie's number.

Brown won't be here next season ,no chance of staying up.
You can guarantee whoever takes over will not be in charge until mid September unless its Fagan

OK many will think I live on another planet (well, I do live on another continent! :Winking:) I hadn't realised (or remembered?) that, through his wife, PB has connections with Southend. Whilst I may not fully appreciate his managerial style, it does give another dimension to his involvement with the club. I must also admit that, since his arrival there has been a bit more of a buzz and that can't be a bad thing. Whether it will be quite enough to save us from relegation is another matter but at least one feels we'll go down with a fight rather than a whimper.

Let’s see how these 5 games then go from there.
Lord Chairman could always use PB to help appoint a replacement in the summer.

PB is certainly full of bravado & bluster which I think we need a bit of at the moment, compared to Molesley being a lost rabbit in headlights. Hope Brown can back it up with on pitch performances & a lovely loud cravat to match his mouth.

C’mon Wor Roslin Rovers!

I think it will depend how how much RM gives him to spend. One of the reasons we're where we are is because RM indulged PB last time with the likes of Cox, Kightly & so on. I can't see PB wanting to stick around if Ron tells him he'll have no money to spend.

Respect your opinion but I personally have to diagree with that. Agree 100% that Kightly was a hugely unsuccessful signing but Cox did a great job here and was a real asset on the pitch. In my opinion we're staring into the abyss now for three reasons:

(1) RM's failure to appoint a CEO to replace Steve Kavanagh. Fatal mistake.
(2) The club sanctioning the departures of the squad's biggest characters over a short period of time. We had no choice but to sell Leonard however to also allow the exits of Timlin, Atkinson, Ferdinand, Turner, Coker (I could go on!) in quick succession without replacing them with players of the same mentality ripped the heart out of the team and left us without leaders on the pitch.
(3) The managerial appointments since Brown have been a joke. Yes Sir Chrissy Powell was unlucky with injuries but it was he who sanctioned many of the departures listed above and largely replaced them with inferior quality. Kevin Bond may have saved us by the skin of our teeth but he was never in a million years the right man for the job long-term. In hindsight the worst thing that could have happened was Humphrys' late goal against Sunderland - if we'd gone down Bond would never have been offered the job and we may just have appointed someone who knew what they were doing to stabilise ourselves in League Two while we still had the nucleus of a squad that could possibly compete at that level with three or four decent new additions. Bond's awful signings that summer significantly weakened us and we were fighting a losing battle right from the start. It's been downhill ever since....

i listened to the podcast yesterday ,its the way he answered it he s clearly not interested ,even if we stay up he wont stay ,i hope im wrong but cant see it

We obviously don't see Craig Fagan as a number 1 - there's been umpteen managerial changes, he's been around for all of them, and he's never got a look in despite being mentioned on every one.

Back