• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Embracing the national league

Need to get rid of Oxley and Elvis.....both stand out incompetents yesterday!

I noticed in PB interview he made a reference about Oxley and about other clubs coming in for him - is he planning something ?

I noticed in PB interview he made a reference about Oxley and about other clubs coming in for him - is he planning something ?
Fingers crossed, he really panics the defence by refusing to get amongst it. For two opposition commentators to spot it how easy is it for opposition managers to find the weak link.
Does make some great stops but lets himself down by bottling the hard part of keeping!

Michael Cheek (Bromley] 21 goals in 35 games. Total shots 21-Shot accuracy 100%-Goal conversion 100%. Anyone know whats wrong with him !?

His age wont help but we already have Goodship and Akinola. It would appear there is more to it than just signing hungry, scoring for fun, non league rough diamonds.

Unless Ox accepted a massive wage drop he will be off this summer. Despite what some claim on here he will be wanted by plenty of league clubs

Made some great saves this season otherwise we would already be down. Looking at all the recent clean sheets after being the worst defence in the football league. Says to me the defence, including Oxley, are the last of our worries.

Which NL team has had the highest average home attendance and travelling support? That should be where we aim for. Even with RH as our home...

Fingers crossed, he really panics the defence by refusing to get amongst it. For two opposition commentators to spot it how easy is it for opposition managers to find the weak link.
Does make some great stops but lets himself down by bottling the hard part of keeping!
We’ve a great keeper on the bench. Good youth keepers too. Save some wages.

This is an extract from the Maidenhead FC site:
  • For league (and most cup) games, you just turn up and pay with cash at the turnstile. See admission prices.
  • Programmes are on sale for £2, and there's always a half-time raffle - 50% is prize money, 50% goes to the Club - just £1/ticket.
  • Seating is at no extra charge - and we have an excellent new stand with disabled access and wheelchair spaces.
  • There is a tea bar from which hot and cold drinks plus snacks can be obtained. The chips are excellent.
  • Stripes Bar is open on match days for anyone in need of a pint - we also show BT Sport matches on the big screen.
  • There is no crowd segregation, and so the game can be viewed from any part of the ground. This means you can actually walk around the whole ground to get the view you want. No need for binoculars here! There are stewards, but crowd trouble is almost unheard of.
  • Though it's true to say we get a lot more men than women, we'd like more ladies to come along and support the Club. It's unusual for the crowd to exceed 600, so it is not intimidating. We get plenty of children attending too.
Sounds good, but have you seen the ground?
You can easily do so from the train that passes within 50 feet of one side.
The stands are so shallow you'll get much the same view as the manager, whoever that is.

Not sure I am happy or sad that iFollow will no longer be an option for me to watch games.

Whilst I know actually being there is better, sitting in a freezing cold Roots hall.

As an immigrant in a different country, that Saturday evening watching iFollow has become a ritual that keeps me feeling a little connected to everyone back home.

Ah well, maybe when I finally return we might get back into the FL.
It's been 50 years since I saw so many games!
Back in the day went home and away when I could, since when more spasmodic.
And the season to watch 30plus games? The worst ever.
Irony doesn't come more pronounced.

We've been relegated before, that horrible depressing feeling. Yet, of course, this is something quite different. How is it different? I haven't quite got my head around yet. A strange feeling which will take a bit of time to adjust to , maybe I'm in some kind of denial phase? Understanding what's happening but not yet accepting the reality of it. It's like a bereavement yet, of course, the club isn't dead and will still be there next season (we hope!).
I have no fear per se about us playing National League football. What does scare the living s**t out of me is the route back to League football. In all our ups and downs of the last 30 so years we've lived with the fear of three of four sides being relegated but always, on the positive side, we've had three or four chances of promotion. In the NL there is only ONE automatic promotion place and one from the lottery of the play-offs.
Some will say, "you'll bounce back," citing the examples of Colchester, Orient, Bristol Riovers and Luton to name a few. I'd reply with Torquay, Stockport, Wrexham, Halifax, Chesterfield, Notts County, Aldershot, Daggers, Yeovil, Barnet, Hereford Darlington and others (I reserve judgement on the Monkeyhangers as they may just storm back?)...........I suppose all of those clubs thought they were too big for the National League.................at one time!
A League football team is, like a democracy, something to be cared for, nourished and loved. Those who hold power take responsibility for cherishing that fragile entity through joyous times and difficult times. Failure lays fairly and squarly on the shoulders of those in charge. As Ron Martin set himself up as the sole power in the club you need to look no futher as to where the responsibility for this catastrophy lies.
On a personal level I remember a period back in the early seventies when the Blues took a back seat in my life. Although I looked for our the results, the emotional attatchment was far less, yet those College and University years may well have been a distraction:Smile: I wait to see how I'll deal with life in the National League. Living over a thousand kms away one could say that things are already a little complicated. From what I understand my weekly trials and tribulations with ifollow will be at an end . I suppose one of my immediate concerns is what, if anything, replaces it??? Being able to see all our games, whether it be from the comfort of my own home or fending off customers between 4pm and 6pm, at my monthly fair in Toulouse has helped maintain that strong contact with the club. Losing that remains another big fear for the future.

I dare say our players’ agents are circling like vultures. Curious to know how many players had ‘EFL football only’ clauses in their contracts?

Ron tried that nearly 20 years ago it was called kid for a quid in south lower I doubt more than 50 turned up and it would be interesting how many go now as adults.

I do, it was about 25 years ago, the only time I see old school mates is at football too. So it works

do other supporters think agents will be trying to move our players on ? i can`t see it myself i think any players we release will find it very hard finding contracts at other league clubs . more chance of seeing ex players playing against us in the national league

Surely our defence and gk are the very least of our problems.

Well all Elvis ever does now is go backwards, used to bomb up the wing and Oxley as I said was singled out by there commentators as looking totally scared of crosses and a significant place to target rather than to muck about with short corners.

Back