• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Relegation appeal

Using COVID & how some lower level leagues below NL had to stop & that a couple of teams I. NL were affected to justify staying up is pretty low in all honesty .

The NL league is doing fine currently, it’s competitive with the integrity of the league not affected at all by no relegation really - teams & clubs have done really well to continue in difficult circumstances and it’s in very bad taste to try & get out of relegation

If your appeal works then why wouldn’t L1 clubs appeal relegation, & then Champ & then Prem? This is leaving a very bitter taste

Out of interest why couldn't there have been relegation from the national league this season? Surely the regional leagues have the capacity to take a couple of extra teams for a season with additional promotion next season.

The problem here seems to be no relegation from the NL making that league finish under different rules from which it started and making the integrity of it suspect. If they re-instated relegation everything goes back to normal right?

If you apply that logic, then removing relegation from League Two affects the integrity of that competition for this season, and therefore there should be no promotion/relegation between League One and League Two this season.

There are two relegated clubs playing against clubs tomorrow that needs results to secure automatic promotion/play-off places respectively. Does that affect the integrity of League Two knowing they are already down?

Does the fact that were were under a self-inflicted transfer embargo for the first 15 matches of the season affect the integrity of League Two this season, because the majority of those teams got an easy three points against us whereas the others played us when we were at full-strength?

If you apply that logic, then removing relegation from League Two affects the integrity of that competition for this season, and therefore there should be no promotion/relegation between League One and League Two this season.

There are two relegated clubs playing against clubs tomorrow that needs results to secure automatic promotion/play-off places respectively. Does that affect the integrity of League Two knowing they are already down?

Does the fact that were were under a self-inflicted transfer embargo for the first 15 matches of the season affect the integrity of League Two this season, because the majority of those teams got an easy three points against us whereas the others played us when we were at full-strength?
Just to make it clear, I accept that we deserve to be relegated because we finished in the relegation zone just as the bottom three in the NL finish in the relegation zone so should be relegated.

I don't see why the national league decided to not have relegation

Yes, that’s right. Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser.

Whats the point of ‘winning’ if you do it in such an ugly & low manner? Surely you have pride in your club to do the right thing, like I said not a good look for anyone supporting this pathetic appeal
Just to make it clear, I accept that we deserve to be relegated because we finished in the relegation zone just as the bottom three in the NL finish in the relegation zone so should be relegated.

We had to as NL North & South voted to end the season.

Because the clubs in National League North and South determined that they couldn't complete the season at an earlier stage than last year when it would not be fair to apply points per game, meaning there would be no promotion. No promotion meant no relegation being applied, because if there was there would be an imbalance of teams in the National League and National League North/South.

Some clubs in National League North and South had played 11, 12, 13 or 14 fixtures of a 42-match season and decided they couldn't continue without grants rather than the suggested loans. Some clubs even argued that taking the loans offered would contravene National League regulations.

Yes, that’s right. Show me a good loser and I’ll show you a loser.
Are you saying a bad loser is a winner? How's that work? The bad loser still lost, they're just throwing their toys out of the pram whilst losing. A bad loser is still a loser just like the 'good loser' the only difference is people will think the bad loser is a tosser.

**** Torquay and **** what’s fair. If Ron and Grimsby Ron can pull this off, that would be marvelous. I don’t understand the mentality of accepting non-League purgatory because we don’t want to upset people.

I think you're barking up the wrong tree. I've not seen anyone say we don't want to upset anyone. I think people are saying we don't deserve to stay up because we're utter ****e.

However, if this works then great, I won't worry about it. But, I think it has a snowball's chance in hell of succeeding.

Because the clubs in National League North and South determined that they couldn't complete the season at an earlier stage than last year when it would not be fair to apply points per game, meaning there would be no promotion. No promotion meant no relegation being applied, because if there was there would be an imbalance of teams in the National League and National League North/South.

Some clubs in National League North and South had played 11, 12, 13 or 14 fixtures of a 42-match season and decided they couldn't continue without grants rather than the suggested loans. Some clubs even argued that taking the loans offered would contravene National League regulations.
Why can't there be relegation from the national league though, there will be an imbalance anyway as there would only be 3 teams going down from the NL next season.

The decision to not relegate from the NL was made to convince to smaller teams in the league to carry on which they did so with much reduced costs this season, Barnet have stated that they have reduced costs this season to invest extra money next season.

Are you saying a bad loser is a winner? How's that work? The bad loser still lost, they're just throwing their toys out of the pram whilst losing. A bad loser is still a loser just like the 'good loser' the only difference is people will think the bad loser is a tosser.
I could not give one solitary **** if the Molesley fan club and the Torquay supporter want to call me names because I want Southend to stay in the league by any means necessary.

As a Torquay fan all I can say to your chairman is this , ‘what if the situations were reversed?’ And after a long time in the Conference, infact a season in Conference South, you fight & put together a really good team under a great manager that have been through a marathon of a season which has been made harder that we could’nt be there at the ground- to go through all of that & then for the teams above to go ‘ you know I don’t like the sound of the Conference, so no relegation please’

The arrogance of it is amazing. Even if this isn’t successful to even have the possibility that the possibility promotion could be snatched away is so disheartening.

Yourselves & Grimsby not coming down with grace isn’t a good look
The EFL made a rod for their own backs last year by saying both promotions and relegations had to take place and if they didn’t then there couldn’t be promotion for EFL to the Prem (eg Leeds).
If they were consistent there would be no relegation from L2- they could allow for 2 additional clubs in L2 as a get out.
This said don’t worry. As you will find out in the EFL rules are only guidelines and they have their own version of the Ministry of Truth.
You will get promotedI am sure. But it’s worth noting that the Chairman is only reminding the EFL about what they repeatedly said last year.

Last edited:
A pathetic, ill judged and discreditable attempt to avoid our deserved fate. All this will achieve is to further diminish our reputation and reinforce the image of a badly run, declining club reduced to dodges and diversions to survive.

Why can't there be relegation from the national league though, there will be an imbalance anyway as there would only be 3 teams going down from the NL next season.

The decision to not relegate from the NL was made to convince to smaller teams in the league to carry on which they did so with much reduced costs this season, Barnet have stated that they have reduced costs this season to invest extra money next season.

I'm really struggling to understand this argument. At some stage in the process, there has to be no relegation because seasons weren't finished. It stands to reason that this point is where no promotion is applied. That is between the National League and National League North and South, because those divisions didn't get to a stage where they could be completed, either on the pitch or via points per game.

The National League had to continue to ensure it kept its promotion places to the EFL (it's why it battled for 'elite' status under the Government Covid regulations last summer). There's no reason to create an artificial imbalance this season (outside of that created by the sad demise of Macclesfield Town) by applying relegation at a stage where there's no promotion in the other direction.

So with no relegations, does that mean more league sides in the NL next season.

More games to play etc.

Let’s be brutally honest, we deserve to be relegated.

But if Ron had not looked at all options to keep us in League Two and further down the line it was revealed that if we had done xyz we would have stayed up which potentially is enough to keep the club alive there are people on here who accept that as it’s all we deserve?

I'm really struggling to understand this argument. At some stage in the process, there has to be no relegation because seasons weren't finished. It stands to reason that this point is where no promotion is applied. That is between the National League and National League North and South, because those divisions didn't get to a stage where they could be completed, either on the pitch or via points per game.

The National League had to continue to ensure it kept its promotion places to the EFL (it's why it battled for 'elite' status under the Government Covid regulations last summer). There's no reason to create an artificial imbalance this season (outside of that created by the sad demise of Macclesfield Town) by applying relegation at a stage where there's no promotion in the other direction.
My view is that the National League season can't be completed without relegation from the national league because that is the terms under which they started the season.

The NL chamged their rules so why can't the EFL?

My view is that the National League season can't be completed without relegation from the national league because that is the terms under which they started the season.

The NL chamged their rules so why can't the EFL?

So I return to my earlier point:

And then no promotion/relegation between League One and the Championship, and then between the Championship and the Premier League (which frankly, is not going to happen).

As I mentioned in my initial post on this subject, relegation and promotion between the EFL and the National League is applying the regulations pursuant to both competitions consistently, because there was no relegation from National League North/South to Step 3 last season (because Step 3 was not completed), and there was promotion between the National League and National League North/South. This is the same principle, but one tier higher in the pyramid.

Back