• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Relegation appeal

Not sure I enjoy being lectured by a Torquay fan on the right to stay in the football league despite finishing in a relegation place...

<<
Torquay United finished at the bottom of Division Three, having won just five games all season, but were saved from demotion because Conference champions Stevenage Borough did not meet the league's required minimum stadium capacity.
>>

Not sure I enjoy being lectured by a Torquay fan on the right to stay in the football league despite finishing in a relegation place...

<<
Torquay United finished at the bottom of Division Three, having won just five games all season, but were saved from demotion because Conference champions Stevenage Borough did not meet the league's required minimum stadium capacity.
>>

Several others such as Exeter and Northampton have also managed to wriggle out of it and it done them no harm long term.

Yes apart from Dover obviously. I meant every team that’s continued hasn’t given up.

<<
>>

Ha, well some very important differences here to what you’re trying do

We never actively tried to weasel out of relegation like you are, threatening legal action. That decision was taken out of our hands as Stevevages ground wasn’t up to league standard. If we had of been relegated im sure we would’ve taken it with grace as we’ve done many times with relegations in the past.

it’s so low to try & get out of relegation during a pandemic when the league honestly has (apart from Dover) continued on very well & competitively.

Unfortunately nowadays it’s all about trying to save your own skin & screw everybody else eh.

<<
>>
Exactly this. Clubs have been saved from demotion from the league for many different technicalities over the years and so this year, if there is a genuine reason, should not be any different.

For those moaning it makes us look silly I think this is just looking for something else to blame Ron for when in fact all he is doing is looking to preserve our status not just as a football league club but a football club full stop. Also bear in mind this is a Grimsby initiative and we are simply backing it (why wouldn’t we?).

Exactly this. Clubs have been saved from demotion from the league for many different technicalities over the years and so this year, if there is a genuine reason, should not be any different.

For those moaning it makes us look silly I think this is just looking for something else to blame Ron for when in fact all he is doing is looking to preserve our status not just as a football league club but a football club full stop. Also bear in mind this is a Grimsby initiative and we are simply backing it (why wouldn’t we?).

Nope. This isn’t a technicality, you’re actively trying to weasel yourself out of a relegation with legal action

it’s embarrassing & it does make your club look pathetic. You can’t spin this any other way.

In my opinion we were obliged to take this action the second Grimsby started proceedings.

My rationale is do we want to be mugged off by Grimsby?

Nope. This isn’t a technicality, you’re actively trying to weasel yourself out of a relegation with legal action

it’s embarrassing & it does make your club look pathetic. You can’t spin this any other way.
No spin needed here. If there is no genuine reason for us to stay up then no-one is “weaselling” out of anything. I personally don’t know the ins and outs of the reasoning behind the appeal/challenge so cannot possibly comment if it is a genuine reason but I can comment and say if the chairman didn’t look into these options then I would be disappointed he had just accepted it without consideration.

And for the record I don’t think anyone is suggesting Torquay or whoever else are not promoted, from my understanding this is about extending the league for a season.

If this was successful and we stayed in league 2, the rest of the football league would probably view our league status was as about as legitimate as we all felt MK Dons league place was, and rightly so.

Its the football equivalent of letting a serial criminal off all charges in court due to a “technicality”.

Those teams who have used administration to walk away from irresponsible behaviour and then continued to spend their way to success should take a look at themselves first.

Can you honestly say that if you got promoted from the national league that you would care what happens to Southend and Grimsby?

As an aside the national league has an EGM this month because of a vote of no-confidence in the board that runs the league. If the clubs have no confidence in the league then surely that only strengthens the case for not relegating anyone?

It’s easy to sit in judgment my feathered friend. If this was your club you’d have a different view I’m certain. Anyway don’t tar us all with the same brush please as plenty of SUFC fans agree with you and accept relegation. For what it’s worth I hope you go up, I love that part of Devon and have visited Plainmoor a few times.

Total facts above.. This Torquay fan wouldn't be here calling our club embarrassing (tbh I do actually think it too) if it didn't have the potential to have an effect on Torquay's potential promotion to the football league but I don't wanna hear it from you so please crawl back under the rock you came from.

It’s easy to sit in judgment my feathered friend. If this was your club you’d have a different view I’m certain. Anyway don’t tar us all with the same brush please as plenty of SUFC fans agree with you and accept relegation. For what it’s worth I hope you go up, I love that part of Devon and have visited Plainmoor a few times.

I can honestly say I would be embarrassed if we were doing this if the positions were reversed. There’s a way to go things & this just isn’t right. Using the fact that NL N & S had to stop due to Covid to try & stay up..What would that mean to League 1, Champ & Prem teams if no relegation from your league if we use the ‘no relegation so integrity list’ argument.

Yes I do appreciate there is vastly more fans who aren’t in agreement with this action, my comments are more to the chairman of yours who comes across incredibly arrogant

Glad you like Plainmoor, it’s a great atmosphere when packed. I think what’ll likely happen is you’ll get relegated & we will stay in the National league so it is an away trip I’m looking forward to next season!

I can honestly say I would be embarrassed if we were doing this if the positions were reversed. There’s a way to go things & this just isn’t right. Using the fact that NL N & S had to stop due to Covid to try & stay up..What would that mean to League 1, Champ & Prem teams if no relegation from your league if we use the ‘no relegation so integrity list’ argument.

Glad you like Plainmoor, it’s a great atmosphere when packed. I think what’ll likely happen is you’ll get relegated & we will stay in the National league so it is an away trip I’m looking forward to next season!
Yeah likewise. I was gutted to miss Exeter away this season so I’m hoping we get to go to Torquay and make a weekend of it. Look we deserve to go down, no question. It’s unlikely to come to anything and me personally, I’d feel we’d cheated a little if it happened. But there are fans of every club, even Gulls, who would take it if it meant avoiding relegation.

Total facts above.. This Torquay fan wouldn't be here calling our club embarrassing (tbh I do actually think it too) if it didn't have the potential to have an effect on Torquay's potential promotion to the football league but I don't wanna hear it from you so please crawl back under the rock you came from.

Sorry Jim, but surely a gull will be on the rock not under it? Unless you've dropped it on him from the clifftop above of course.....,.

Nope. No integrity of the league has been lost. It’s still very competitive & in the midst of a pandemic it should be applauded how well it’s carried on. The league has gone on very well in difficult circumstances with no teams giving up or distorting the league - Could you say the same for when you had an embargo? Every season you can say that a league has been distorted , teams having injuries at different moments to other teams, buying players at different times so teams facing different strength of squads.

The only integrity being lost here is by yourselves & Grimbsy trying to weasel yourselves out of a deserved relegation
So no fear of relegation doesn't have an impact on competitive football in certain matches.....get real.

So no fear of relegation doesn't have an impact on competitive football in certain matches.....get real.

So by your own words then there should be no relegation from league 1, Champ & Prem as they’ll be no relegation from League 2-Just to save your own skin..ok I’m sure all the promoted clubs will love that totally self serving interest of yours idea. Opening up a Pandora’s box of issues just to stay up

Just take the loss & embrace the new challenge, it’s not a good look going down in this way

So by your own words then there should be no relegation from league 1, Champ & Prem as they’ll be no relegation from League 2-Just to save your own skin..ok I’m sure all the promoted clubs will love that totally self serving interest of yours idea. Opening up a Pandora’s box of issues just to stay up

Just take the loss & embrace the new challenge, it’s not a good look going down in this way

But us and other league 2 teams have been playing knowing they'll be relegation. National league clubs knew there wouldn't be any relegation so nothing on games against other teams down the bottom. For example our matches v Colchester and Barrow at the end of the season. In national league it would't matter the outcome because teams knew there was no danger of going down.

Don't get me wrong I think this is a real stab in the dark and I do agree about opening pandoras box. However there definitely is a question about integrity of the national league with teams playing knowing they had no danger of being relegated.

But us and other league 2 teams have been playing knowing they'll be relegation. National league clubs knew there wouldn't be any relegation so nothing on games against other teams down the bottom. For example our matches v Colchester and Barrow at the end of the season. In national league it would't matter the outcome because teams knew there was no danger of going down.

Don't get me wrong I think this is a real stab in the dark and I do agree about opening pandoras box. However there definitely is a question about integrity of the national league with teams playing knowing they had no danger of being relegated.

So games between mid table teams are worthless & not competitive then? As they have no relegation fears.
I don’t buy this argument at all - teams have a personal pride to do well, relegation or not

Last edited:
Back