• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Any Questions?

I have a list of 10 who I think all have strengths and weaknesses but one gets me very excited.

He's a manager, early 40's, spoken to him recently and he's an impressive guy with an impressive outlook on the game. Doing very well, reputation for quality teams, proactive style, players enjoy playing for him.

The list of 10 will go to Ron and Tom.
Sounds excellent, Is he currently employed in a first team manager capacity Stan?

If so how would you prise him away from his current role to come here, we’re not exactly prospect of the year career wise.

Well Stan.
Putting aside today’s disgraceful scenes which the majority of supporters will abhor from this complete low we must turn things around.
I think most ( and you know by now you will never please everyone and need the skin of a rhino) would like to see you involved. So best of luck.
The immediate problem is we have no obvious caretaker manager with the club. No not RD great with the academy not near the first team.
So unless we have someone already lined up have you got a SUFC track suit yet? I am afraid you will need to stand in a caretaker manager first up. Don’t complain, into every life some rain must fall. As a sweetener we will allow you to wear you cap on the touch line

Hi @StanleyVictorCollymore,

Thank you for all your tenacity and hard work to your research and analysis in how the club can be improved and I think the club would be massively fortunate to have your knowledge, experience, extensive contacts and most importantly perhaps right now, emotional attachment and desire for the clubs best interests.

With that last point in mind, could you see Steve Tilson, Kevin Maher or Adam Barrett as part of the first team coaching staff come the next appointment?

Naturally, any appointment should have the credentials and that should outweigh sentiment, but equally I think it’s important that the next first team manager has an emotionally vested interest in the club and it’s long term future, not just another position on the managerial ladder at this time when the club is in desperate need of unity.

For someone who doesn’t care he’s remarkably prickly about criticism.
I think this ridiculous -the doesn’t care notion needs binning. Like the your not a supporter only in it for the money nonsense. God knows he’s made mistakes- the poor man has also attended virtually every home and away game for 20 years. You can care, be a fan and **** it up all at the same time..

Dear God no. First he does care, and not just in it for the money. This is just endlessly said but most know it’s not real. He’s just made a lot of mistakes and without any shadow of doubt is frequently his own worst enemy. He needs help but isn’t good at realising it.

The idea of a Phoenix club as a solution is equally lacking a hold in reality...

We need to deal with the reality before us and all get pointing in the right direction

Questionable Decision Making?

He took an age entertaining the Larsson and co which cost us precious time. Then he appointed Sol and his entourage - swayed by the name I feel. Then he appointed MM, which he had long term hopes for that were in the right place - but lack of experience, in particular league experience showed and cost us. And then we got PB which I can't really summaries in a short sentence all of what I feel has gone wrong there, but it's led us to now.

In the Zoom meetings, running of the football club is always a topic and frustratingly the answers seem to circle around pound notes and financial backing more than anything else. I'm sure Ron puts up ever penny he says he does which I'm not going to fault him for that.

Amongst all of the anger we feel as a supporter group I genuinely I wonder if fatigue of the situation and desperation to turn this around is effecting his decision making. I think of a gambler doubling up to try and recoup what his lost whenever I picture of Ron I don't mean that as a slight but when your back is against the wall you don't always make the best choices.

My question I guess if there was one in this rant is, ego aside does Ron feel that he's able to make the right decision or is the pressure getting to him? Who does Ron consult when appointing a manager? And what support can be put in place to make sure WE get this right?

PB may be gone but the sense of dread hasn't because we need to appoint another manager and I'm not confidence the next appointment is going to fix anything.

Last edited:
Well Stan.
Putting aside today’s disgraceful scenes which the majority of supporters will abhor from this complete low we must turn things around.
I think most ( and you know by now you will never please everyone and need the skin of a rhino) would like to see you involved. So best of luck.
The immediate problem is we have no obvious caretaker manager with the club. No not RD great with the academy not near the first team.
So unless we have someone already lined up have you got a SUFC track suit yet? I am afraid you will need to stand in a caretaker manager first up. Don’t complain, into every life some rain must fall. As a sweetener we will allow you to wear you cap on the touch line
mate calm down.. a few people walked on some grass during a game of football, you said on another thread you have been going to southend for many many years, how did you cope with 60s/70s and 80s Karen?

Sounds excellent, Is he currently employed in a first team manager capacity Stan?

If so how would we prise him away to come here?

If so how would you prise him away from his current role to come here, we’re not exactly prospect of the year career wise.
Because
Well Stan.
I have 10 names ( who we should be looking at, based on a number of factors). I took the liberty of contacting several last week ( without any Southend United input, just for my own curiosity). Several are ready to rock.

Hi Stan,

Of course we are well aware of Ron Martin's stance on not selling, but out of interest, the consortium you mentioned on Twitter that were lurking in the background that were interested and ready in taking over the club, did they actively make themselves aware or make a formal offer at all?

On the back of that, why is it that Ron Martin has so far not wanted to make use of the contacts and resources you have offered up? Of course he took up the chance for Tom Lawrence, but surely any club would jump at the chance of scouting/recruitment resources you have been mentioning?

Because

I have 10 names ( who we should be looking at, based on a number of factors). I took the liberty of contacting several last week ( without any Southend United input, just for my own curiosity). Several are ready to rock.
From your conversations with Ron over this week (and today!) are you going to be part of the consultation process in recruiting a new man? Personally, I would hope so - I'd hate for your role to be passing 10 names to Ron to make a decision on!

Hopefully you'll be involved in more in depth discussions about the pro's and con's of each with a long term strategy in mind - and involved in the interview processes too.

Hi Stan,

Of course we are well aware of Ron Martin's stance on not selling, but out of interest, the consortium you mentioned on Twitter that were lurking in the background that were interested and ready in taking over the club, did they actively make themselves aware or make a formal offer at all?

On the back of that, why is it that Ron Martin has so far not wanted to make use of the contacts and resources you have offered up? Of course he took up the chance for Tom Lawrence, but surely any club would jump at the chance of scouting/recruitment resources you have been mentioning?
I'm not talking about a consortium because it's not relevant today.

Ron thinks I'm a maverick, uncontrollable and too opinionated.

I'm certainly opinionated, wouldn't concur on the maverick or uncontrollable. I predicted 100% accurately the situation in summer, helped get the calmest, most thoughtful CEO you could get and know my sport and your club (now) inside out.

Better be a maverick with ability than a steady Eddie with none, eh?

Do you believe that Ron Martin can turn around his stewardship of the club with the necessary changes to the structure? After the offer that was made to was changed, you were rightly upset and stated you would not work with the club whilst Ron Martin is in charge. Have you seen something to change your opinion on this?
I like Ron, I told him today as much but I told him clearly that I believe many people have abused his goodwill along with poor decisions and communication, stubbornness and a lack of tact.

But I'm only offering Ron support because I want to help the club.

I care not who likes me, loathes me, or is indifferent. I care only to create an environment where talented people love going into Southend United to work and create a modern, dynamic football club.

So if I have to be used by Ron or the club and they show me no respect, so be it. I can say I tried.

No questions, I trust you to do what’s needed. Just a plea from me.

Be thick skinned. We have suffered so much disappointment and smoke and mirrors, a lot of fans are cynical of anything, and don’t know a good thing when it comes along like an ex player who wants to help fix things. Ignore the comments, and prove them wrong with actions and delivery.

Up the blues, and thank you Stan!
I will be. I promise.

Lesson learned from the summer.

Do you think that the current squad, with the right manager, is good enough to survive this season? If not where do you see our weaknesses?

I like Ron, I told him today as much but I told him clearly that I believe many people have abused his goodwill along with poor decisions and communication, stubbornness and a lack of tact.

But I'm only offering Ron support because I want to help the club.

I care not who likes me, loathes me, or is indifferent. I care only to create an environment where talented people love going into Southend United to work and create a modern, dynamic football club.

So if I have to be used by Ron or the club and they show me no respect, so be it. I can say I tried.
Hopefully Ron can see beyond the end of his own nose & see his way clear to let you help out.

He seems quite happy to pay others a salary to perform appallingly but is then suspicious when someone with history with the club offers help for nothing with no strings attached- weird.

Once he has satisfied himself that you are good for your word & have no ulterior motive then a established paid role will hopefully be agreed.

One step at a time though eh?

Stan, given that you are a bit of a maverick and ron is, well, ron. Do you see yourself in an official capacity within the club or more as a special advisor? Bearing in mind if you did have an official role certain things wont always go your way? Would you be happy to help and advise from the outside looking in? As we do desperately need help, and i hope you are the one to give it to us.

Hopefully Ron can see beyond the end of his own nose & see his way clear to let you help out.

He seems quite happy to pay others a salary to perform appallingly but is then suspicious when someone with history with the club offers help for nothing with no strings attached- weird.

Once he has satisfied himself that you are good for your word & have no ulterior motive then a established paid role will hopefully be agreed.

One step at a time though eh?
Your second paragraph has summed up communication between Ron and I.

I don't think owners of anything like to be told no.

I owe Southend United zero.
Southend United owe me zero.

I don't need a brass farthing from any football club to enjoy a very lucky and blessed life. I'm here because I want to be not have to be. So I speak as I like and am unhindered by "need".

That's a powerful thing to have on your side and a powerful thing for an owner to conjure with.

Someone who won't take bull****.

Ladies and Gentlemen, any questions you have about my involvement since summer, the club moving forward please fire away.

Stan.
Hi Stan,

So glad to see you back involved.

1. You got the CEO spot on, so impressed with Tom so far.
2. Looking forward to your recommendations for new manager.
3. Just been cheering myself up watching England beat Andorra, we need a creative midfielder, any chance you can get us Jack Grealish ?

Oh Stanley Stanley...Stanley Stanley Collymore

Back