• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next Manager in?

Simple. Would love Next manager to be........?

• Mark Bentley

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • A Nother

Votes: 43 14.7%
  • Stan Collymore

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Steve Tilson

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • Neil Smith

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Darren Currie

Votes: 100 34.1%
  • Graham Coughlan

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Mark Stimson

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Adam Barrett

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • Ian Holloway

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Uwe Rosler

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Sean O'Driscoll

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Graham Westley

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Neil Harris

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • John White

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Bart Griemink

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
Show me a manager that doesnt have a bad record on their CV at some point (NOT PEP! NOT PEP! lol).

But Tilly is a perfect example - hasnt he got the best win % in our history over a long time as a manager, but barely got a win at Lincoln and anyone looking at his wiki page will scoff at that Lincoln spell.

Its about the right person at the right time.

Keates had a good record in this division with Wrexham who are a similar (if not bigger) club than us and had similar issues money wise when he was there. Only really lost that job due to the Hollywood invasion.
Is getting a club a similar size (if not bigger) to mid table in this division a good record?

I was hoping for a bit more substance to it - eg signed X player for peanuts and sold him to Man U for millions; successfully integrated three youth team players into first team whilst improving results; masterminded lucrative cup run to 3rd round to FA Cup in consecutive seasons; overhauled academy system; turned profit of £Y million whilst cutting wages by 10% etc.

Is getting a club a similar size (if not bigger) to mid table in this division a good record?

I was hoping for a bit more substance to it - eg signed X player for peanuts and sold him to Man U for millions; successfully integrated three youth team players into first team whilst improving results; masterminded lucrative cup run to 3rd round to FA Cup in consecutive seasons; overhauled academy system; turned profit of £Y million whilst cutting wages by 10% etc.

you don’t want much ?

but I get your drift ?

Hahahahaha yea... on our budget and current setup??

We're looking for stability, not a miracle short term.

And "Midtable"? He left after missing out on the playoffs on the last day of the season.

Experience in the National League with a 40% win ratio during his last spell. Did you miss that stat? I'd take that at the moment.
Absolutely, achieve 40% win ratio with this, squad would be cosmic! 14 wins from 36 games, would be 42 points. Say 10 draws from the remaining 22 games, plus the 8 we already have, would take us to 60. That would be superb and I don't think any of us would turn that down. Then we would well and truly have a base to push on from. Secondly, Stan would have a major, tangible case for being involved on the footballing side with those stats!

Experience in the National League with a 40% win ratio during his last spell. Did you miss that stat? I'd take that at the moment.
I’d take it this season but wouldn’t you be a little disappointed by that next season or the season after if we kept missing the play-offs?

Because this shouldn’t be an appointment for just this year and will be a multi year contract.

My thoughts exactly. I just have this nagging doubt that the likes of Keates, Smith and Currie are all nearly men.
I've stated previously that Bentley is my preferred option. Canvey play front foot, attacking football, scoring plenty of goals and currently top their league and are undefeated this season. Stan only said that the candidate must have a knowledge of the National League. Benno will have watched a lot of games in that league and of course played in it, albeit back in the early 2000s.
His knowledge of the best non league talent in the local area is also very attractive, especially if there isn't going to be much wriggle room budget wise.
Stan likes to have all bases covered and with MB having played for the club that is another box ticked.

I’d take it this season but wouldn’t you be a little disappointed by that next season or the season after if we kept missing the play-offs?

Because this shouldn’t be an appointment for just this year and will be a multi year contract.

And you know that we would continually miss out on the play-offs?

You're a wiser man than me ?

My thoughts exactly. I just have this nagging doubt that the likes of Keates, Smith and Currie are all nearly men.
I've stated previously that Bentley is my preferred option. Canvey play front foot, attacking football, scoring plenty of goals and currently top their league and are undefeated this season. Stan only said that the candidate must have a knowledge of the National League. Benno will have watched a lot of games in that league and of course played in it, albeit back in the early 2000s.
His knowledge of the best non league talent in the local area is also very attractive, especially if there isn't going to be much wriggle room budget wise.
Stan likes to have all bases covered and with MB having played for the club that is another box ticked.
I think we'd be crazy at this point to take a risk on Bentley. Unproven at this level and if it goes wrong, we're knackered.

Dont think there is a box to be ticked in terms of having a connection to us. Just has to be the right person. Stan called out Phil for going back to sign aging former players, so would be a bit disappointed if thats a pre-requisite for the new boss (which I doubt it is)

Perhaps not a box to be ticked but certainly it would good to have that have someone with a SUFC connection in our dug out, particularly when we are at our lowest ebb and we need some unity. Stan talked at length at wanting to see ex players being involved at the club once more.
As for Bentley being a risk....I don't see it being any more risky than appointing someone like Keates.

Wow....well that is totally unexpected! I wouldn't have thought we'd have any chance of prizing him away from Chesterfield.....then again Stan does have some pulling power.
Compensation would surely be due as well?

Back