• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Question Next Manager in?

Simple. Would love Next manager to be........?

• Mark Bentley

Votes: 20 6.8%
  • A Nother

Votes: 43 14.7%
  • Stan Collymore

Votes: 11 3.8%
  • Steve Tilson

Votes: 35 11.9%
  • Neil Smith

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Darren Currie

Votes: 100 34.1%
  • Graham Coughlan

Votes: 23 7.8%
  • Mark Stimson

Votes: 27 9.2%
  • Adam Barrett

Votes: 29 9.9%
  • Ian Holloway

Votes: 13 4.4%
  • Uwe Rosler

Votes: 9 3.1%
  • Micky Adams

Votes: 8 2.7%
  • Sean O'Driscoll

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Graham Westley

Votes: 4 1.4%
  • Neil Harris

Votes: 24 8.2%
  • John White

Votes: 3 1.0%
  • Bart Griemink

Votes: 12 4.1%

• Total voters
On BBC website re our approach for James Rowe - also confirms Neil Harris and Adam Barrett not interested.

Based our current position and point's tally do you really expect us to get a manager that would get us into the playoffs this season.? If that's the remit that they will be given then we might as well give up now.

There's been no mention of that in Stans conditions.....
No, as I said earlier this is an appointment for more than just this season. The remit should be to find someone who can get us into the play-offs next season and eventually re-establish ourselves back in the EFL. A 40% win percentage doesn’t achieve that so I want to be seeing more than that.

I think we should be concentrating more on how managers improve teams, their transfer record, their record developing players etc rather than just their win-loss records.

Reactions: Jai
May have already been mentioned on here but not sure Currie is the correct man for us. He inherited a good squad from John Still at Barnet and then left when things weren’t going his way and they had to get rid of their best players. Win % of less than 40 and only a short career as a manager. We need someone who knows this league and is experienced in my opinion

May have already been mentioned on here but not sure Currie is the correct man for us. He inherited a good squad from John Still at Barnet and then left when things weren’t going his way and they had to get rid of their best players. Win % of less than 40 and only a short career as a manager. We need someone who knows this league and is experienced in my opinion
Good to hear your perspective. In my humble opinion, I think Southend needs a manager that has demonstrated some success in the National League but still has the best years of their career ahead of them and could give us momentum over the next three or four years.

I like the look of Darren Currie. He seems enthusiastic, tactically smart, passionate and comes as across as someone who is grounded (ie does not have a huge ego) and has real integrity. Currie is also local and seems very keen to take on the job.

I also like the look of Dean Keates (43 and 2 years younger than Currie). Keates inherited a Wrexham side that was 20th in the National League in 2016 and took them to 4th the following season before being headhunted by his hometown club, Walsall. It did not work out for him there but he returned to Wrexham and took them to 7th before he was displaced by the Hollywood take-over.

In some of Wrexham's post-match TV interviews I have watched, Keates comes across really well. He is clearly driven and seems a determined character. But Keates is also an able communicator who is highly organised and speaks in a clear and coherent fashion. He also exudes a refreshing honesty and does not seem to be the sort of person that ducks hard questions or decisions.

Last edited:
No, as I said earlier this is an appointment for more than just this season. The remit should be to find someone who can get us into the play-offs next season and eventually re-establish ourselves back in the EFL. A 40% win percentage doesn’t achieve that so I want to be seeing more than that.

I think we should be concentrating more on how managers improve teams, their transfer record, their record developing players etc rather than just their win-loss

I think we should be concentrating more on how managers improve teams, their transfer record, their record developing players etc rather than just their win-loss records.

Read my previous posts again. I did not say that a 40% win ratio is what we are looking for long term. Managers with win ratios that are higher than this and equate to playoff/performance numbers are already in management. So who do you expect/want to get?

As for the other details that you refer to. They are no-brainers and should be also a key element of the interview process. Is there any evidence that Keates didn't have these? If so please share....

Exactly what I said earlier

Exactly what I said earlier
To be fair he was John Still’s assistant at Dagenham when the same thing happened two years before. Because the key financial sugar daddy withdrew his money, the club had to move out all the big earners. That I guess was sole destroying and he could see history repeating itself.

surprised Gary Waddock hasnt been mentioned? he has experience of winning this league along with Martin Allen

Demi very clear that a new manager would be in for next game. Also implied he wouldn’t have training etc to worry about so I suspect an early in the week appointment

Back