• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry, are you for real?

Stan, (and I don’t need to tell you this) football is a results focused business. To date you’ve helped us hire a very good CEO… but results have not changed.

You’ve helped us hire a new management team. Very good business. Through a structured measurable approach… but the results have not changed.

You held your own very public job interview, and in otherwords get the fans backing in said public interview. Yes you’re the correct man to support our club…

But again it’s a results driven and there’s been no change of results. You cannot be public on here and social media but complain when you’re commented about on a public forum when you don’t agree.
I can (in a public forum) have the right of reply.

And I'm more than within my rights to be an equal on this forum and asked to not be mocked or trolled by others on this forum who in all cases are in posession of 1% of the facts.

I promised to bring A class contacts to the club. Everyone in the club and those who will come into the club knows who these contacts are, what they've offered Southend United, when and why.

So just because people outside those facts don't know what I've tangibly brought already regarding recruitment doesn't mean they have any right to simply take to this forum and without any evidence say "He's not doing what he said he could". Especially when I have and those contacts are higher in quality and substance than I'm guaranteeing this club have ever had. What part of that are people missing here?

There's a minority seemingly who have a long held view on this forum that anyone who comes in is either useless, feckless, reckless or inept.

I'm none. Not by a long chalk. So I'd get used to me responding to people who can't back up disrespectful nonesense, because that's my right of reply in open forum.

Some of the posts on this board are frankly toxic, offer nothing by way of insight or solutions, just mock, chide and offer yet more woefully thought out solutions that got this club in the mess it's in in the first place.

I'm here because I want to be. I do not need to be. I bring what I said I would and some.

But if enough people on here or at games want me gone, don't worry, they'll get their wish because I'm dammed if I'm having my contacts, relationships and hard work to build bridges with clubs who told me I was crazy to try derided by people who are supposed to be supporting the same aim.

When all of you reading this are armed with the facts and the full picture, then judge as you wish, I've been used to criticism, fair and unfair for 30 years.

But from "your own"? Based on a healthy dollop of disrespect based or a hunch? Is that really where some of you are at? So weathered by the last 3 years that hammering people who simply are who they say they are is some kind of sport on a forum? Shame on you that do. That's not support, that's disrespect, disdain and wanting your cake and eating it. Some of the posts on this forum, a great forum generally , are an utter disgrace and some on here should be ashamed of themselves for putting their name to half baked gossip, conspiracy theories and in some cases borderline if not outright libel.

I'm afraid it won't go unchallenged, as even on here a whisper ends up poisoning the well even more than is.

"Could be bollocks" is basically calling me a liar, inferring the contacts aren't there or have been exaggerated when if I took any of you to my meetings in the last two weeks you'd be doing cartwheels down the road.

My advice? Honestly? Support good people who've come to help and who are.

Last edited:

And I'm more than within my rights to be an equal on this forum and asked to not be mocked or trolled by others on this forum who in all cases are in posession of 1% of the facts.

I promised to bring A class contacts to the club. Everyone in the club and those who will come into the club knows who these contacts are, what they've offered Southend United, when and why.

So just because people outside those facts don't know what I've tangibly brought already regarding recruitment doesn't mean they have any right to simply take to this forum and without any evidence say "He's not doing what he said he could". Especially when I have and those contacts are higher in quality and substance than I'm guaranteeing this club have ever had. What part of that are people missing here?

There's a minority seemingly who have a long held view on this forum that anyone who comes in is either useless, feckless, reckless or inept.

I'm none. Not by a long chalk. So I'd get used to me responding to people who can't back up disrespectful nonesense, because that's my right of reply in open forum.

Some of the posts on this board are frankly toxic, offer nothing by way of insight or solutions, just mock, chide and offer yet more woefully thought out solutions that got this club in the mess it's in in the first place.

I'm here because I want to be. I do not need to be. I bring what I said I would and some.

But if enough people on here or at games want me gone, don't worry, they'll get their wish because I'm dammed if I'm having my contacts, relationships and hard work to build bridges with clubs who told me I was crazy to try derided by people who are supposed to be supporting the same aim.

When all of you reading this are armed with the facts and the full picture, then judge as you wish, I've been used to criticism, fair and unfair for 30 years.

But from "your own"? Based on a healthy dollop of disrespect based or a hunch? Is that really where some of you are at? So weathered by the last 3 years that hammering people who simply are who they say they are is some kind of sport on a forum? Shame on you that do. That's not support, that's disrespect, disdain and wanting your cake and eating it. Some of the posts on this forum, a great forum generally , are an utter disgrace and some on here should be ashamed of themselves for putting their name to half baked gossip, conspiracy theories and in some cases borderline if not outright libel.

I'm afraid it won't go unchallenged, as even on here a whisper ends up poisoning the well even more than is.

"Could be bollocks" is basically calling me a liar, inferring the contacts aren't there or have been exaggerated when if I took any of you to my meetings in the last two weeks you'd be doing cartwheels down the road.

Stan, the overwhelming majority are with you, firmly behind you and fully appreciating everything you’re doing for our club ?

Stan, the vast majority of Southend supporters (ie 90% plus) are delighted by your involvement in the club and really appreciate your key role in bringing an excellent CEO and an exciting coaching team to the club. In fact, most supporters are more hopeful about the club they love than they have been for years

Unfortunately, there are always negative voices in every walk of life. I agree it is demoralising when you encounter unfair criticism that is not based on rational analysis or facts. You have consistently said - and the new management team have taken the same position - it will take time to reverse a three year decline. And I think the vast majority of supporters recognise this as common sense.

The development of social media in the last 15 years or so has generally been a brilliant development. It enables people to connect and exchange information in ways that were scarcely imaginable in the past. But the social media also provides a platform for views that are sometimes ill-informed, mocking, insulting, and downright hurtful.

Please do not allow yourself to be distracted by the negative voices. Your enthusiasm for Southend United and your hard work and dedication to the cause of reviving the club is inspiring large numbers of supporters and that ultimately will be a very solid basis for turning the club around.

I think you should appreciate the shame we as fans have been going through for the last few years before you come out and attack negativity.

We NEED results on and off the pitch pretty sharpish. I am not questioning the work effort and contacts from you but we NEED to start seeing the fruits of this labour, lets be honest, over the next couple of weeks. Unfortunately you are not helped by the "In the know" posters on here that get us excited about potential signings that don't happen.

You are now an official part of the Southend United machine. This machine is faulty and until it is fixed will be open to criticism.

Unfortunately the lack of results and/or signings is getting people to mention the word protest again and that is the worst thing that can happen.

I am not as critical as some but also not going to give praise until it is due.

Best of luck Stan we as a club need it.

It is so hard to put into practice but disrespectful comments from a minority should be used to drive even harder determination to succeed.

Please Stan try to ignore the trolls ,i know its just that after 3 seasons of losing its hard for many ,because of their love for this club , I certainly dont agree that they should be disrespectful, but realise with many they are losing patience and it definitely is not the fault of yourself or the team thats been put together, I hope those that have disrespected you also have to guts to apologise to you .
Why is making a valid point called trolling or disrespectful ?
Stan very publicly went on local radio saying he wanted Brown, Duncan & Robinson out of the club. Isn't that trolling or disrespectful?
He's made a living in recent years in the media discussing football & debating various clubs, managers & crisis'.
Results haven't improved & the 2 signings/improvements were the result of Currie's connection with Sheffield Utd.
He can't then come on a fans forum & accuse someone of being disrespectful because they are playing devil's advocate.

I’ve spent over 3 hours talking to Tom Lawrence in the past few days, I’m fully aware of the validity of your contacts and how much good you’re already doing for the club.
I’ve said from day 1 you’re involvement in the club is excellent and just what we needed. But we are all adults. Adults do not need to agree on everything and adults certainly do not need to throw there toys out there pram at the first sight of seeing something they read and don’t agree with.
For a long time, I’ve been saying we are a Southend “not very” United and within our fans we have our own friends and foes on all subjects.
From speaking to Tom. I will say outright, he is a genuine breath of fresh air. I believe he will drive the club forward. Across all departments.
With your contacts, his organisation leadership and a change of culture… in a rotten environment I feel we have a confident outlook to look forward too. We just need it to start, quickly!

Why is making a valid point called trolling or disrespectful ?
Stan very publicly went on local radio saying he wanted Brown, Duncan & Robinson out of the club. Isn't that trolling or disrespectful?
He's made a living in recent years in the media discussing football & debating various clubs, managers & crisis'.
Results haven't improved & the 2 signings/improvements were the result of Currie's connection with Sheffield Utd.
He can't then come on a fans forum & accuse someone of being disrespectful because they are playing devil's advocate.
Exactly

Seems that if we criticise Stan and the new managers we are in danger of blowing this very fragile house of cards away.
You’re a very communicative person, especially when promoting yourself. You’re here on an open forum and for that, I applaud you. But, don’t start saying you’ll leave (again) once the public will turn against you. And they will, especially as we’ve not seen any tangible improvement in results.
You like the sound of your own voice, both spoken and written. Personally, I’d rather you kept quiet, and have a smug grin when it all comes together.
Have you a plan c? Have you a secret consortium waiting in the wings? What’s your plan of action re an inept squad? Let’s face it, no one will want these players, so it’s probably another expensive pay off?

Respect has to earned, talk is cheap. With boastful unsubstantiated claims yet to materialise in results or recruitment it is only to be expected that there will be a reaction and to try to drown out those who dare to criticise by demonising them as trolls is unhelpful. A little bit of humility acknowledging that so far results have not improved would not go amiss.
Yesterday's performance showed that nothing has changed in any meaningful way. We were playing a side who on current form are as bad, or even worse than us yet conceded a sloppy goal within three minutes and never got a shot on target. Team selection rightly queried as well as timing of substitutions. It all adds up to evidence that nothing has really changed in the five league games plus the cup defeat the new regime has been in charge. A lot of credibility is now riding on the Maidenhead game, which has massive importance.

This really is becoming a vicious circle. Stan's achievements will not be visible yet, it takes time to change something that has been toxic for ages. And it's worth mentioning that it will not be Stan alone that changes the fortunes of our club, That will be achieved by everyone involved, players, management team and supporters. Are we all up for it? I genuinely believe that the vast silent majority of our supporters are, but constant discussions with Stan on here are achieving bugger all at the moment as both sides have drawn a red line. All in all, very sad. Far better for Club employees to get on with the job and supporters to be realistic about what can be achieved in the early stages of this change process.

Some of you lot are very short sighted. Longer term vision is required.

Some of you, let's be honest. Probley function on a day to day basis. Have Lack of a business and ethical sense.

We in knee deep ****e. Any manager would take time to sort this mess out.

Just get behind everyone to do with our club.

If not, go and follow another team

Really not sure why people are digging out Stan.

Our recruitment for years has been rushed and absolute ****, hence we are where we are. We’ve burned literally every bridge in football relationships and we are known as a club you probably wouldn’t want to send your young players out to as they’ll experience embargo’s, losing and just all round crap.

Now we are trying to repair and build relationships and actually do some due diligence people are moaning because it’s too slow.

Honestly I wonder sometimes if some of our fans are in the real world or not. This isn’t fifa or football manager, this is real life.

It will get better in time, but get a ****ing grip.

Oh and the next person to mention “New Manager Bounce” is getting blocked. There’s no scientific evidence that bringing in a new manager brings about a change in results instantly. This might happen if the players are good enough, but as most have alluded to our team last night was half made up of players not good enough. Therefore why should they now be good enough to win games just because we changed management…

We thought we could repair this summer but instead Brown came back and cocked it up beyond our wildest dreams. It’s going to take I’d say a year minimum to correct. Maybe even two when you remember Dunne signed a two year deal.

Wow there are some seriously deluded people on here. Sure I agree that criticism is allowed when fair but these guys have barely warmed up the desk chair and are already under attack and for what?

Not transforming below average players into world beaters?
Not turning the youth team into the class of 92?
Not bringing in the next Jamie Vardy from nowhere?

Give them some time. I realise as much as anyone we have been struggling for years but there is a lot of water on this sinking ship and it’ll take more than a couple of buckets to empty it out. Let’s try and be a little patient with the new guys as the very least.

Direct that anger elsewhere perhaps? I believe there is some guy in the club who has overseen this whole disaster who now no longer gets a mention…

This really is becoming a vicious circle. Stan's achievements will not be visible yet, it takes time to change something that has been toxic for ages. And it's worth mentioning that it will not be Stan alone that changes the fortunes of our club, That will be achieved by everyone involved, players, management team and supporters. Are we all up for it? I genuinely believe that the vast silent majority of our supporters are, but constant discussions with Stan on here are achieving bugger all at the moment as both sides have drawn a red line. All in all, very sad. Far better for Club employees to get on with the job and supporters to be realistic about what can be achieved in the early stages of this change
Those who raise expectations sky high by exagerrated claims in the first place can hardly complain when inevitably a reaction follows when those expectations are not met. This is a forum after all and people should not be shouted down or their motives questioned just because they prefer to believe the evidence of their own eyes rather than meekly accepting what they are told.

Wow there are some seriously deluded people on here. Sure I agree that criticism is allowed when fair but these guys have barely warmed up the desk chair and are already under attack and for what?

Not transforming below average players into world beaters?
Not turning the youth team into the class of 92?
Not bringing in the next Jamie Vardy from nowhere?

Give them some time. I realise as much as anyone we have been struggling for years but there is a lot of water on this sinking ship and it’ll take more than a couple of buckets to empty it out. Let’s try and be a little patient with the new guys as the very least.

Direct that anger elsewhere perhaps? I believe there is some guy in the club who has overseen this whole disaster who now no longer gets a mention…
On the flip side many are praising and making a cult hero of Stan before he has produced. I hope he does but obviously judgement is coming in both forms. Probably none of it warranted either way as yet.

Anyway back to the thread title, who are we looking to recruit? The priority really should be full backs.

Grimsby targeted our right back area all match and got a lot of joy, at left back we have serious injury issues. If we sort these areas out we should have enough to stay up, add in a bit of creativity and we can start climbing the table

On the flip side many are praising and making a cult hero of Stan before he has produced. I hope he does but obviously judgement is coming in both forms. Probably none of it warranted either way as yet.
Agreed there may have been too much fan worship but let’s be fair the guy is an absolute Southend legend and debatably the greatest to pull on the shirt so you can see why. What has he done in this current role to earn the negativity.

Two sides yes but heavily unbalanced right now.

Anyway back to the thread title, who are we looking to recruit? The priority really should be full backs.

Grimsby targeted our right back area all match and got a lot of joy, at left back we have serious injury issues. If we sort these areas out we should have enough to stay up, add in a bit of creativity and we can start climbing the table
Said a bit further up on the thread but for me 2 centre midfielders are top priority (box to box and game breaker). Both with pace and energy.

That said a right back would be more than welcome. Left would be ok if we could ever get more than a handful of games out of Ralph before he breaks down and Clifford is a solid back up there.

Further to those I would want another big centre half and a striker with genuine pace.

Said a bit further up on the thread but for me 2 centre midfielders are top priority (box to box and game breaker). Both with pace and energy.

That said a right back would be more than welcome. Left would be ok if we could ever get more than a handful of games out of Ralph before he breaks down and Clifford is a solid back up there.

Further to those I would want another big centre half and a striker with genuine pace.
Personally want pace at the back before up front, we are getting killed back there. Stop the goals and build from There. Aside from Ralph (when fit) we have no pace back there of any note

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back