• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Formula One 2022

That Mercedes power plant really isn’t up to scratch.

That Mercedes power plant really isn’t up to scratch.
For those of us with an avid viewing but not quite fully informed interest, what has happened to Mercedes and why have they so quickly dropped off the pace like a post-Fergie United?

Is it temporary or is Lewis going to be racing back markers this season?

For those of us with an avid viewing but not quite fully informed interest, what has happened to Mercedes and why have they so quickly dropped off the pace like a post-Fergie United?

Is it temporary or is Lewis going to be racing back markers this season?
It seems their engine might be slightly underperforming compared to RB and Ferrari. But Mercedes have spoken more about drag issues which are affecting straight-line speed, plus instability at high speed (porpoising effect) especially when the car has low fuel which is making braking difficult. This is why they're underperforming but showing slightly better pace in the race.

The challenge is that the problems they now experience can't really be modelled or simulated very easily, so they're having to test things in the real world and that is impacting on their races and practices etc. They're taking a conservative approach where they basically undo changes and are looking for the underlying issue, rather than guessing and pushing forward with an upgrade they hope will be the magic key.

The change in regulations meant that it was inevitable there'd be a shuffling on the pack, and Ferrari in particular didn't bother developing their 2021 car at all last year and focussed ahead for 2022, whereas Mercedes and RB were both in a title fight. I don't think the Mercedes is as uncompetitive as it currently looks, they're down about 0.7 seconds a lap but expect them to make aero and engine improvements in the coming months so they close the gap somewhat. They've shown good reliability which is a positive.

Ferrari had the pace in the high speed corners and Red Bull had the pace in the straights. Mercedes doesn't really have either and they are really in "damage limitation" at the moment trying to grab as many points until they get a championship competing car. I think they will grab third this season.

Hamilton was unlucky with both Ricciardo and Alonso trying to limp back to the pits and stopping at the pit entrance, which gave two cars the chance to pit under a VSC while the pit lane was closed when Hamilton came around and cost him 6th place.

Have a feeling by the time Mercedes get back to being much more competitive the drivers championship could be already out of their reach. Not a fan of the DRS.

Have a feeling by the time Mercedes get back to being much more competitive the drivers championship could be already out of their reach. Not a fan of the DRS.

Yeah - it's getting a bit of a farce, with cars slowing so that they're behind but with DRS for the following straight etc. That's just not racing.

Ferrari had the pace in the high speed corners and Red Bull had the pace in the straights. Mercedes doesn't really have either and they are really in "damage limitation" at the moment trying to grab as many points until they get a championship competing car. I think they will grab third this season.

Hamilton was unlucky with both Ricciardo and Alonso trying to limp back to the pits and stopping at the pit entrance, which gave two cars the chance to pit under a VSC while the pit lane was closed when Hamilton came around and cost him 6th place.
Think Hamilton should have just gambled and boxed

Yeah - it's getting a bit of a farce, with cars slowing so that they're behind but with DRS for the following straight etc. That's just not racing.
Wasn't there a DRS zone before the main straight?

I think that was the real problem more than the actual DRS itself. Two zones so close together means if you overtake near the end of the first zone, then you are vulnerable in the second one as the gap is so close.

I wonder with these new regulation about the impact of a slip stream compared to previous years. Knowing nothing about aerodynamics, but they've made it so that it is easier to follow another car so I wonder if more air flows through and into the following car more than it did before.

I wonder with these new regulation about the impact of a slip stream compared to previous years. Knowing nothing about aerodynamics, but they've made it so that it is easier to follow another car so I wonder if more air flows through and into the following car more than it did before.
I think this is basically it.

Under the old rules, the downforce was generated from the huge front and back wings which made a big "hole in the air" behind them. This meant cars following could close up easier in the slipstream but couldn't follow closely through the corners as they didn't have enough downforce on their own wings.

Under the new rules, the bulk of the downforce is generated from from the "ground effect" underneath the car pulling the car down. This means the "hole in the air" behind is now smaller so that cars can follow closer through the corners but don't get such a big slip stream advantage down the straights.

or something like that.................

Last edited:
Wasn't there a DRS zone before the main straight?

I think that was the real problem more than the actual DRS itself. Two zones so close together means if you overtake near the end of the first zone, then you are vulnerable in the second one as the gap is so close.

Yeah I think the strength of the DRS was pretty unique to the Jeddah track and the location of the DRS zones being quite close, but even then it wasn't straightforward for Max to get past Leclerc in what was probably a very marginally quicker car. Seems fairly well balanced to me.

Don’t like the layout of the proposed 2023 Vegas track, very bland and far too long a main straight.

Like to have seen another European circuit in the schedule to a 3rd US track, trying to pander to a US audience which much prefers their NASCAR etc to F1 seems pointless.

Like to have seen another European circuit in the schedule to a 3rd US track, trying to pander to a US audience which much prefers their NASCAR etc to F1 seems pointless.
A few years back I'm sure I read that more people turned up to an Emu/Ostrich show than to a US Grand Prix a few weeks later.

Wish they'd have a rolling list of say 30 tracks for 20 races. You could maybe have a 'core' of say 10 circuits that are run every year, but then the remaining 20 tracks host a race every other year. That means there's variety and interest, without the calendar becoming ridiculously long, and without yet another cookie cutter 'street circuit' in a desert. I'd like to see South Africa come back, along with maybe the new Finland track.

The core circuits could be something like:
Silverstone
Monza
Melbourne
Monaco
Montreal
Spa
Suzuka
Abu Dhabi
Austin
Barcelona

Basically a mixture of geography, legacy, and local interest.

Although TBH I'm not necessarily wedded to the last three, you could maybe bring in Hockenheim or Baku or Bahrain.

It seems the Las Vegas GP is to be a “night” race. I don’t know exactly what that means but Vegas is 8 hours behind us. So if the race starts at 8pm that’s 4am here. The last time I got up that early was on my honeymoon. So I’m out.

Interesting that it will be a night race, especially as it will take place in November. I could understand it if it was earlier in the year with the high temperatures they get there.

I think it is simply seen as a better "spectacle" for a night time Vegas event. Guess it gives anyone going the chance to sleep in any hangovers from the night before!

It seems the Las Vegas GP is to be a “night” race. I don’t know exactly what that means but Vegas is 8 hours behind us. So if the race starts at 8pm that’s 4am here. The last time I got up that early was on my honeymoon. So I’m out.
So much for F1 trying to become more sustainable.

Back