• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Formula One 2022

It seems the Las Vegas GP is to be a “night” race. I don’t know exactly what that means but Vegas is 8 hours behind us. So if the race starts at 8pm that’s 4am here. The last time I got up that early was on my honeymoon. So I’m out.
it's going to start at 10pm, so 6am (similar to Melbourne)

It seems the Las Vegas GP is to be a “night” race. I don’t know exactly what that means but Vegas is 8 hours behind us. So if the race starts at 8pm that’s 4am here. The last time I got up that early was on my honeymoon. So I’m out.
Don’t think the F1 hierarchy care a t*ss about the rest of the world watching the race just as long as it gets a prime-time slot with US networks.

Just seen Australia will be running 4 DRS zones, effectively two back-to-back zones.

It will be interesting to see how that works and if we get anymore “DRS chicken” like last time.

I think they could shorten the second zones so it doesn’t get too crazy.

Don’t think the F1 hierarchy care a t*ss about the rest of the world watching the race just as long as it gets a prime-time slot with US networks.
That's a pretty 'European' perspective. F1 is increasing in popularity around the world. Just because the west coast US night race isn't at a great time for Europe doesn't mean it shouldn't happen. It's a much more convenient time for Asia and Australia. It's a global sport, that means there will be races at times that aren't great for us from time to time, but the alternative is a sport that is wholly 'European' and I'm not sure that's what F1 has ever been about. We have great racers (Senna, Piquet, Villeneuve, Scheckter, Ricciardo, Webber, Massa, Fangio, Brabham, Andretti), along with great circuits (Montreal, Suzuka, Interlagos, COTA) from all around the world.

Just seen Australia will be running 4 DRS zones, effectively two back-to-back zones.

It will be interesting to see how that works and if we get anymore “DRS chicken” like last time.

Melbourne has always been pretty difficult to pass, and they've remodelled the back straight and taken out the tighter complex before turn 11 so I think that now becomes a much more viable overtaking point. I agree that we probably need to see some tweaks that avoid people playing chicken at the DRS detection point, but it'll be good to see how easy overtaking is now on a slightly harder track compared to Jeddah and Bahrain (in terms of overtaking)

I think the knack is to not have the DRS detection point anywhere near a braking zone.

If the detection point is in a spot where the cars are accelerating then any backing off to pass the point second would mean they drop much further back than at the last race where both cars would have been braking anyway.

I think the knack is to not have the DRS detection point anywhere near a braking zone.

If the detection point is in a spot where the cars are accelerating then any backing off to pass the point second would mean they drop much further back than at the last race where both cars would have been braking anyway.
yeah definitely, simple way is to put it after a corner.

Pleased for Leclerc getting pole! That Merc is still struggling and how their drivers are putting up with the porpoising is beyond me. When they show the footage of Hamilton going down one of the straights his head is bobbing up and down at a high rate for a good 5 seconds.

Gutted for Alonso, he was on for a stonker of a lap before his hydraulics went.

Stroll with a very stupid move on Latifi and in his interview afterwards he really didn’t know what to say. Obviously knows he was at fault for that and couldn’t really justify an answer.

Not the most exciting of races.

Red Bull still having reliability issues. Max would’ve easily finished second, he was never catching that Ferrari.

Faultless drive by Leclerc, shame about Sainz just didn’t have any luck this weekend.

Fantastic drive by Albon and great strategy from Williams to finish 10th.

33 point lead for Leclerc over George Russell in the championship. I’d be more than happy for Leclerc to win the title. A top driver and a really nice bloke.

Leclerc absolutely cruised that, taking the fastest lap. Ferrari are a class above. Better from Mercedes and good to see Russell grab the podium place .. was amusing seeing Horner put on the spot about this fuel issue .. “definitely not an engine issue” but hopefully they sort it out as it makes things more interesting.

Leclerc absolutely cruised that, taking the fastest lap. Ferrari are a class above. Better from Mercedes and good to see Russell grab the podium place .. was amusing seeing Horner put on the spot about this fuel issue .. “definitely not an engine issue” but hopefully they sort it out as it makes things more interesting.
The overtake from Perez on Hamilton without DRS shows just how fast that Red Bull is compared to the Mercedes. I’m sure in next couple of races that won’t be the case.

In the past Horner used to raise queries when Merc had a similar speed advantage over his RB cars…

In the past Horner used to raise queries when Merc had a similar speed advantage over his RB cars…
That’s not a Horner thing, that’s an F1 thing. This rivalry of Wolff and Horner has been intensified by the over dramatised ‘Drive to Survive’. All of the teams will question anything that looks new or out of place on cars.

Think it’s not unreasonable to say Horner has had a fixation about Mercedes and the technical aspects of their cars for a few seasons and much more so than Wolf has with RB. Horner gives the appearance of having a permanent chip on his shoulder.

Horner saying that he'd rather have a fast but unreliable car, than a slow but reliable car. Well at the moment the RB might have some qualifying pace but it's a step behind the Ferrari on a Sunday. Also on race pace, the Mercedes looks quite a bit better this weekend (and carrying significant weight in additional sensors) so maybe the Mercedes are starting to improve things, which gives a real headache to Red Bull as they appear to have multiple reliability issues. The Ferrari shows incredible stability in the corners/under braking even with quite a lot of porpoising. Definitely a more positive weekend with Mercedes even if Verstappen had finished. Mercedes will probably be targeting Barcelona for a significant upgrade, and if they can keep picking up decent points then the season doesn't have to be a write off.

Horner saying that he'd rather have a fast but unreliable car, than a slow but reliable car.
Yeah, I heard that and what a typical Horner comment! It’s no good having a fast car that has to retire from every few races! Agree that Mercedes will improve and they’re handily placed, but Ferrari are in danger of - literally - racing out of sight..

I'm not sure if Mercedes had improved or if the Red Bull's race pace dropped off. Verstappen was quite a way behind Leclerc and couldn't get close, even on the safety car restarts. Red Bull clearly have more straight line speed than both the Ferrari and Mercedes (see Perez overtaking Hamilton without DRS), but they seemed slower in the corners. Hamilton was close to overtaking Perez before the safety car came out, which helped Russell secure 3rd.

Feel a bit sorry for Sainz. He was unlucky with qualifying having red flags and then not having enough time to get a couple of warm-up laps in. His start was so odd, whether it was his fault, the car or the hard tyres not getting the heat but it looked like he lagged!

Much improved race for both Norris and Ricciardo and McClaren ,5th and 6 th ,hope it can continue and not just a one timer .

Much improved race for both Norris and Ricciardo and McClaren ,5th and 6 th ,hope it can continue and not just a one timer .
By far the most likeable driver pairing on the grid. I really hope they start to pick up and start fighting for podiums and wins. Would love nothing more than either one to be crowned World Champion.

Thought qualifying was a bit boring. Q1 was interesting as it went right up until the end with a potential double elimination for Mercedes. Feel sorry for Gasly as the Alphas look poor this season and he deserves better.

Q2 finished with 5 minutes remaining. After the red flag and the rain, no-one was going to improve.

Q3 could have finished with a final lap showdown until Norris slowly slid into the wall without damaging his car. Conspiracy theorists will be having a field day as that ended the session with him 3rd and his mate on pole position.

Five red flags in the session was the most ever during a qualifying session.

Back