• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Some Club Staff Salaries Late/Embargo Chat - now resolved (for now)

Was this meeting with the club?

Or was it a bunch of local businessmen criticising how someone else is running their business?

Have you thought of arranging a consortium to make Ron an offer?
When it comes to meetings with the club the fans have their representatives in the form of the Shrimpers Trust . In fact as I understand it they are meeting sometime this week . No doubt we will hear from them what the official line from the club is .We prefer action rather than words .
On your second point I think you need to realise that our names are linked with the clubs name so image and reputation are important factors. Embargo is a word we don't like to hear and don't want to associate with .
Your third point is a very good one . Whilst it is not ourselves involved we do believe there is someone that has got the necessary cash to buy out Ron . We just need to wait and see what develops in the months ahead.

So you'll withdraw sponsorship? Doesn't that just make the problem worse?
Don't worry, Napster, the first penalty is only a mild one . Its only if we don't see the progress we want in resolving the issue that things ratchet up . These staff members have got to get their money. Full Stop. If someone had taken strong action last time the problem arose it would have not have happened this time .

So to be clear there wasn't a club representative at the meeting?
No. Shrimpers Trust have this well in hand and can deal with the club and hopefully in the near future a statement will appear . But what they can never say is that all staff have been paid
in full and on time . But other football clubs in the National League can say that . You seem a reasonable sort of guy Matt - do you think club staff should be paid on time? . Are you paid on time yourself ? Would you be upset if you were not paid on time ? Would you be happy if new staff were being taken on that will be paid on time ? I think you would be a very unhappy person Matt and secretly feel a little bit upset with your employer. But perhaps I am wrong on that . Am I ?

I've just read and reread the notes. There is nothing about speaking to the club when the employees made the complaints. I really find this strange. As I've previously said Tom Lawrence is very approachable. Makes me suspicious that the "sponsors" whoever they are did not want this problem resolved. I really do smell a rat and it's rather unpleasant.
We very much want the matter resolved . But there was felt to be no good reason why it had arisen in the first place . What were we supposed to do ? Pretend their was no problem and that the right course of action was to sign Josh Kelly . If you are looking for rats I don't think you will find them on this thread.

We very much want the matter resolved . But there was felt to be no good reason why it had arisen in the first place . What were we supposed to do ? Pretend their was no problem and that the right course of action was to sign Josh Kelly . If you are looking for rats I don't think you will find them on this thread.
Why didn’t you speak to the club when you received the complaints? Why choose an anonymous Internet forum instead?

No. Shrimpers Trust have this well in hand and can deal with the club and hopefully in the near future a statement will appear . But what they can never say is that all staff have been paid
in full and on time . But other football clubs in the National League can say that . You seem a reasonable sort of guy Matt - do you think club staff should be paid on time? . Are you paid on time yourself ? Would you be upset if you were not paid on time ? Would you be happy if new staff were being taken on that will be paid on time ? I think you would be a very unhappy person Matt and secretly feel a little bit upset with your employer. But perhaps I am wrong on that . Am I ?

do you think club staff should be paid on time? Yes
Are you paid on time yourself ? Late once this year - out of control of the company and no real impact on me, so wasn't too bothered as one-off
Would you be upset if you were not paid on time ? Depends - personal circumstances / frequency / communication from mgmt would probably dictate
Would you be happy if new staff were being taken on that will be paid on time ? Depends - if they're replacing more expensive staff that have been let go - it may improve my chances of being paid on time in future

The information in the public domain is, imho, not sufficient to get a full understanding. In principle all staff should be paid in full and on time. If they're not then the reasons why need to be understood - and I don't just mean Ron hasn't coughed up, e.g., was it forecast that we'd run out of cash and nothing was done about it or was there some kind of issue that meant funds were not available as forecast. If some staff are being cherry picked to be paid / not paid - then why is that, is that logical, could it be done better/fairer?

Without both sides of the story it's very difficult to make a fair judgement - I find things are rarely black and white.

When it comes to meetings with the club the fans have their representatives in the form of the Shrimpers Trust . In fact as I understand it they are meeting sometime this week . No doubt we will hear from them what the official line from the club is .We prefer action rather than words .
On your second point I think you need to realise that our names are linked with the clubs name so image and reputation are important factors. Embargo is a word we don't like to hear and don't want to associate with .
Your third point is a very good one . Whilst it is not ourselves involved we do believe there is someone that has got the necessary cash to buy out Ron . We just need to wait and see what develops in the months ahead.
Can you clarify on the third point? Are you aware of someone interested or hoping someone is interested?

Why didn’t you speak to the club when you received the complaints? Why choose an anonymous Internet forum instead?
For a very good reason - the complaint was against the club and the complainants were fed up about the way they were being messed about by the club. In truth I do think you love Southend United Football Club and you are a very loyal fan as well . But in absolutely everything you take the side of the club and believe they never ever do anything wrong . You may not like our business style but when sponsors see unfairness we feel action should be taken to deal with it rather than try and divert the issue and place it in the hands of the Shrimpers Trust who you knew were unlikely to be able to sort it out .- you want everyone to talk but never do .

For a very good reason - the complaint was against the club and the complainants were fed up about the way they were being messed about by the club. In truth I do think you love Southend United Football Club and you are a very loyal fan as well . But in absolutely everything you take the side of the club and believe they never ever do anything wrong . You may not like our business style but when sponsors see unfairness we feel action should be taken to deal with it rather than try and divert the issue and place it in the hands of the Shrimpers Trust who you knew were unlikely to be able to sort it out .- you want everyone to talk but never do .
That’s not patronising at all. Almost as much as it’s incorrect on so many of the things you claim to know about me. We all know how things are have been for years at the club. For all the absence of basic ethics at Roots Hall, I don’t think how you‘ve behaved is ethical either. If you were concerned you should have grown a pair and raised it directly with Tom Lawrence and threatened to withdraw your sponsorship if it wasn’t immediately dealt with.

do you think club staff should be paid on time? Yes
Are you paid on time yourself ? Late once this year - out of control of the company and no real impact on me, so wasn't too bothered as one-off
Would you be upset if you were not paid on time ? Depends - personal circumstances / frequency / communication from mgmt would probably dictate
Would you be happy if new staff were being taken on that will be paid on time ? Depends - if they're replacing more expensive staff that have been let go - it may improve my chances of being paid on time in future

The information in the public domain is, imho, not sufficient to get a full understanding. In principle all staff should be paid in full and on time. If they're not then the reasons why need to be understood - and I don't just mean Ron hasn't coughed up, e.g., was it forecast that we'd run out of cash and nothing was done about it or was there some kind of issue that meant funds were not available as forecast. If some staff are being cherry picked to be paid / not paid - then why is that, is that logical, could it be done better/fairer?

Without both sides of the story it's very difficult to make a fair judgement - I find things are rarely black and white.
Thanks for answering my questions - I will post tomorrow on what improvements we would like to see to try and stop this happening again. I agree that it is a complicated matter but we cant just ignore it and walk away .

That’s not patronising at all. Almost as much as it’s incorrect on so many of the things you claim to know about me. We all know how things are have been for years at the club. For all the absence of basic ethics at Roots Hall, I don’t think how you‘ve behaved is ethical either. If you were concerned you should have grown a pair and raised it directly with Tom Lawrence and threatened to withdraw your sponsorship if it wasn’t immediately dealt with.
We are going to get this sorted and not just talk about getting it sorted - we are taking Shrimperzone to a whole new level. Dont forget we are very pleased with what SZ has contributed to the debate - you are helping in your own way to get these people paid . The Shrimpers Trust are raising the matter with Tom Lawrence so don't worry about that .

Sorry, but I don’t believe a word of it. I think you’ve just piggybacked off the posts Jim90 has been making since last December (around the time you joined the zone) about the pay issues and you don’t actually know any more than has been gleaned off this site. How you say you’ve behaved is so far from professional, so wrong-headed and inefficient in terms of its chances and potential speed for success compared to how any normal business would approach such an issue, that I can’t see any possible good reason to believe a word you say.

Sorry, but I don’t believe a word of it. I think you’ve just piggybacked off the posts Jim90 has been making since last December (around the time you joined the zone) about the pay issues and you don’t actually know any more than has been gleaned off this site. How you say you’ve behaved is so far from professional, so wrong-headed and inefficient in terms of its chances and potential speed for success compared to how any normal business would approach such an issue, that I can’t see any possible good reason to believe a word you say.
Thanks for the kind thoughts Spaceman .- Last time I was on you accused me of seeking a financial advantage - how true did that turn out to be.

Thanks for the kind thoughts Spaceman .- Last time I was on you accused me of seeking a financial advantage - how true did that turn out to be.
You tell me. If you’d tried the honourable straight forward professional approach, on this specific issue, first and withdrawn your sponsorship when not satisfied - and then come on here I might have had some sympathy for your story. That you freely admit you didn’t and haven’t has nothing to do with kind thoughts, it’s a commentary on your own stated position - which doesn’t stack up at all.

You tell me. If you’d tried the honourable straight forward professional approach, on this specific issue, first and withdrawn your sponsorship when not satisfied - and then come on here I might have had some sympathy for your story. That you freely admit you didn’t and haven’t has nothing to do with kind thoughts, it’s a commentary on your own stated position - which doesn’t stack up at all.
Sorry pressed the wrong button . I am not withdrawing my sponsorship because we all want the club to succeed but for that to happen we need to be united and everyone wants that , But it is difficult to be united when people are not being paid for the work they do whilst others, like the players, are being paid . Everyone at the club says they want openness and transparency but when it happens people seem to object for some reason I am unable to explain.

The guy I know has paid his sponsorship in full and paid for the signage etc……Good luck to anyone who withdraws there sponsorship. You will be a long way down the list for payment 😎

As the Shrimpers Trust now seem to have taken over responsibility for sorting out the late pay issues at the club we would like them to answer the following 4 questions for us

1. Who cancelled the planned liaison meeting for last week between themselves and the club?
Was it the club or the Trust.
2. Has the club paid all non-playing staff in full and on time in recent months.
3. On what date was June salaries paid to the non-playing staff.
4 . If there has been late pay to staff what exactly do you propose to do about it .

Thank You

As the Shrimpers Trust now seem to have taken over responsibility for sorting out the late pay issues at the club we would like them to answer the following 4 questions for us

1. Who cancelled the planned liaison meeting for last week between themselves and the club?
Was it the club or the Trust.
2. Has the club paid all non-playing staff in full and on time in recent months.
3. On what date was June salaries paid to the non-playing staff.
4 . If there has been late pay to staff what exactly do you propose to do about it .

Thank You
Curiouser and curiouser

Is there no way in which the sponsors group and the Shrimper Trust can work together on this?

It would be disappointing if differences between them detracted from the end goal of ensuring that employees receive their pay on time and in full as a matter of monthly routine.

Back