• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Gilbert & Rose West Stand

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ron's got a bit of a nerve going on the radio about this and criticising the people who are working hard to bring much-needed income into the club.

Not only does it keep the story going (It was very funny when it was OUR story but once the media has got involved it's now just very annoying to see other clubs' fans mocking us etc), it also undermines the people that have saved Ron's arse over the last 14 months.

Over the last couple of months he appears to be creeping back into the fold which is a worry. Things run much smoother without him. Stick to the stadium Ron.

Ron's got a bit of a nerve going on the radio about this and criticising the people who are working hard to bring much-needed income into the club.

Not only does it keep the story going (It was very funny when it was OUR story but once the media has got involved it's now just very annoying to see other clubs' fans mocking us etc), it also undermines the people that have saved Ron's arse over the last 14 months.

Over the last couple of months he appears to be creeping back into the fold which is a worry. Things run much smoother without him. Stick to the stadium Ron.
Very well said Jai, however there is no stopping the man's ego. I am expecting to hear any day now that he has just personally invested 2mill into the training pitches.(which of course would be added to our debt to him)

I just find it strange how know one picked up about the name at the time..... Surely someone would of look at it thought that doesn't look right we can't sign it off. Ceo has got to take his fair share of stick on this unfortunately situation we have found ourselves in. Having a stand named after serial killer is wrong on many levels.

I just find it strange how know one picked up about the name at the time..... Surely someone would of look at it thought that doesn't look right we can't sign it off. Ceo has got to take his fair share of stick in this unfortunately situation we have found ourselves in. Having a stand named after serial killer is wrong on many levels.
But it's not, is it? It's named after an Estate Agents. The rest is in the heads of those that remember Rose West.

I just find it strange how know one picked up about the name at the time..... Surely someone would of look at it thought that doesn't look right we can't sign it off. Ceo has got to take his fair share of stick on this unfortunately situation we have found ourselves in. Having a stand named after serial killer is wrong on many levels.
It's words of an estate agent with a side of the compass put together, I can guarantee nobodies first thoughts were that they were naming it after a serial killer, evidently. This has been blown so far out of proportion by people and mainly the media), it's really not that deep and is just a bit of word play, christ almighty.

Hung TL out to dry on that. Not great from Ron IMO… learnt his man management skills from Phil Brown.

Far better to say, we missed it as a club. We are changing it.
If I were in TL's position I would be the first to say I'd ****ed up. It's a genuine **** up and it happens to everyone so RM shouldn't have called him out but it is also the reality.

It's words of an estate agent with a side of the compass put together, I can guarantee nobodies first thoughts were that they were naming it after a serial killer, evidently. This has been blown so far out of proportion by people and mainly the media), it's really not that deep and is just a bit of word play, christ almighty.
I guess but surely they would of saw the rose west bit and thought "not sure about this" I do agree the media have blown it out of proportion.

I guess but surely they would of saw the rose west bit and thought "not sure about this" I do agree the media have blown it out of proportion.
I don't understand why people think it would've instantly picked up? I reckon no one would've probably realised if Napper didn't notice in the first place, it is literally just an estate agents name before 'West Stand'. It only got attention once someone from The Athletic picked it up and tweeted it.

If I were in TL's position I would be the first to say I'd ****ed up. It's a genuine **** up and it happens to everyone so RM shouldn't have called him out but it is also the reality.
Tom has probably thought, like most people, that it was just an unfortunate combination of words. It's been blown out of proportion. Ron should have said WE should have picked it up, not singled out senior management. Southend UNITED?

I don't understand why people think it would've instantly picked up? I reckon no one would've probably realised if Napper didn't notice in the first place, it is literally just an estate agents name before 'West Stand'. It only got attention once someone from The Athletic picked it up and tweeted it.

I had first heard the news a few weeks ago. It's an obvious one to spot.

I'll be honest I don't how it viral but everywhere I look online it's their. Simon jordan on talksport pretty much hammered the Chairman and the club for naming a stand which has the name rose west in it. I kind of agree with him, it should of been picked up by someone in the club before it was printed on tickets/stadium plan on the club site. All blow over next week I guess.

I'll be honest I don't how it viral but everywhere I look online it's their. Simon jordan on talksport pretty much hammered the Chairman and the club for naming a stand which has the name rose west in it. I kind of agree with him, it should of been picked up by someone in the club before it was printed on tickets/stadium plan on the club site. All blow over next week I guess.

Attachments

• Winchester.jpg
    Winchester.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 11
Most people under the age of 30 would probably not know who Fred and Rose were. If the club had been sensible they would have simply dropped the West.

Not SUFC related but this reminds me of a story Frank Skinner told about when he had a chat show and for a laugh and the outtakes he decided to introduce his next "guest" by saying "And now someone who's no stranger to controversy herself, ladies and gentlemen, Rose West!" and the audience actually applauded.

Absolute gold.

By far the most embarrassing bit of the whole episode.

It’s like that time he sacked the groundsman. It’s never Ron’s fault and there’s always someone else to blame: be it HMRC for expecting taxes are paid on time, the groundsman for the pitch being icy, whatever manager is being sacked this month.

Whose fault is it that there’s no one old enough to have a mortgage in the Commercial Department? Who’s driven out nearly everyone with any ambition or competence over the last decade by paying them peanuts/ rarely on time, by letting down the club’s reputation with their mismanagement and breaking promises to sponsors? Who has left the club so understaffed that things like this don’t get picked up?

It’s clearly not deliberate from the club’s point of view (I offer no opinion on whether the Estate Agents were lax or knowing) and everyone realises that so there’s surely no need to hang anyone out on the Phil Brown washing line. Take responsibility: you are senior management. You appointed the staff or your appointments appointed them. To the extent they are to blame you are as well.

I can accept people are human and make mistakes a lot better than I can accept people showing no class and throwing others under the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back