• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Red Arrows

Beautiful, beautiful machines. We were at the viewing gallery on top of the bowling alley on the pier for that Concord flyby. I remember seeing the Vulcan fly at air shows too - incredibly skilled pilots.

There was one year that Concord visited but didn't do that kind of flyby, I think she was on a scheduled journey and instead she flew low up the Thames and dipped her wings at the crowds. Magical to watch.

I wonder if we might see and hear some activity at Roots Hall today as they leave the airport - the BBMF never fails to strike a chord within me.

I miss the air shows.

The last flying in the world Avro Vulcan V Bomber last flight was on the 28th Oct 2015.

The aircraft will still be maintained in flying condition and will be able to taxi for air shows, but it will remain at its home in Doncaster in the North East of England.

(TURN THE SOUND UP!)

Avro Vulcan V Bomber Last ever Flight 28th Oct 2015

Avro Vulcan V Bomber at the Southend Airshow May 1990

Concord at the Southend Airshow 30th May 1988 (Watch on Youtube)

Southend Airshow Open Days 30th and 31st May 1999

The Vulcan is being moved from Doncaster but as yet they don't know where it's going

imho the Harrier has to be one of our best post WW2
Harrier one of my all time favourites, so far ahead of it's time. When you read how it accounted for itself in the south Atlantic, truly amazing. The Argentine air crews at stanley saying how they came in so low that they were the same height as they second floor building windows, and seeing some of the air show footage you can see how.

Nicked from a Google search:

According to an RAF press release, the Arrows will fly in a "seven-aircraft formation, rather than nine" this year because two members of the crew have moved to other positions in the air force.

The seven-aircraft display isn't unheard of and is used "when a situation dictates, such as illness or aircraft availability".

Cheap and nasty.

Like Queen with Adam Lambert.

Beautiful, beautiful machines. We were at the viewing gallery on top of the bowling alley on the pier for that Concord flyby. I remember seeing the Vulcan fly at air shows too - incredibly skilled pilots.

There was one year that Concord visited but didn't do that kind of flyby, I think she was on a scheduled journey and instead she flew low up the Thames and dipped her wings at the crowds. Magical to watch.

I wonder if we might see and hear some activity at Roots Hall today as they leave the airport - the BBMF never fails to strike a chord within me.

I miss the air shows.
Saw the Typhoon twice, the Lancaster and a couple of Red Arrows individually.

Anyone in the East Stand today would have seen the Arrows taking off just like SUFC's season

Reactions: GBJ
Harrier one of my all time favourites, so far ahead of it's time. When you read how it accounted for itself in the south Atlantic, truly amazing. The Argentine air crews at stanley saying how they came in so low that they were the same height as they second floor building windows, and seeing some of the air show footage you can see how.
flying backwards gets me

The last flying in the world Avro Vulcan V Bomber last flight was on the 28th Oct 2015.

The aircraft will still be maintained in flying condition and will be able to taxi for air shows, but it will remain at its home in Doncaster in the North East of England.

(TURN THE SOUND UP!)

Avro Vulcan V Bomber Last ever Flight 28th Oct 2015

Avro Vulcan V Bomber at the Southend Airshow May 1990

Concord at the Southend Airshow 30th May 1988 (Watch on Youtube)

Southend Airshow Open Days 30th and 31st May 1999

Saw the Vulcan twice during its final tour. Absolutely nothing and I mean nothing can beat a Vulcan coming in for a low slow pass and then go all guns blazing as steep as it can.

It’s quite sad actually, it’s totally air worthy but to get a certificate it’s needs to have a parts supplier. The support {BAE?- I can’t recall and can’t be read to Google) won’t do it anymore in case the Vulcan crashes and it gets bad publicity.
The guys who look after it say that t will go on for years

I played golf at Belfairs yesterday and saw the same Lancaster fly over as I was having a drink after my round!
Twice in two days(Clacton air show).
As others have said really miss the air show, went to first one 85 Iirc and paid to get in!

Saw the Vulcan twice during its final tour. Absolutely nothing and I mean nothing can beat a Vulcan coming in for a low slow pass and then go all guns blazing as steep as it can.

Going to the other end of the scale, seeing Concorde's first public display in the UK at Farnborough 1970 was jaw dropping.... Did a couple of runs beating up the runway at 2-300 feet - just, wow...

Did we ever have a Lightening at the air show? I don’t remember but that and the Vulcan are the best post WW2 planes Britain developed.

I'd chuck the Canberra into the mix - world's first jet bomber along with altitude and endurance records, an amazing piece of kit.

Back