• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Red Arrows

They were based here for air shows in Clacton and Eastbourne.

Unlike Southend City little old Clacton has an air show. šŸ¤¬
Eastbourne and Folkestone Air Shows, Clayton is Thursday and Friday Cricko

Surely you remember Clacton Air show? The Wright brothers were there for your first one werenā€™t they?

Right at the very end of the weekend, we were treated to the Lancaster flying low right over the top of our house in Thundersley yesterday early evening (around 5.15). Beautiful airplane.

Not my picture but that of someone else in the Village and very close to our view of her but ours was literally overhead...

Lancaster 2108.jpg

Right at the very end of the weekend, we were treated to the Lancaster flying low right over the top of our house in Thundersley yesterday early evening (around 5.15). Beautiful airplane.

Not my picture but that of someone else in the Village and very close to our view of her but ours was literally overhead...

View attachment 21690
Super pic, OBL šŸ‘ My dad was flight navigator on Lancasters during WW2.

Agree, makes sense on all counts to hold itā€¦. other than to those in power at SBC. The reasons they gave for ceasing it were ridiculous.
Rumour is its set for a return! Privately funded, didn't realise last one was 2012.

Agree, makes sense on all counts to hold itā€¦. other than to those in power at SBC. The reasons they gave for ceasing it were ridiculous.

What were the reasons?

It seems bonkers to me, a population of 360k, plus day trippers, you're looking at a million people who will spend money in the City.

As for SBC, I remember watching the meeting for the new ground, (Zoomed live) and couldn't help but think they reminded me of Andy from Little Britain.

Last edited:
I always thought it was cost, the monetary return wasnt worth it for the council. The red arrows dont come cheap, and I remember the stealth bomber one year and that must have cost. I seem to remember on the final years the displays were getting smaller and smaller with less impressive aircraft.

Cost was cited as Ā£130k by the time SBC pulled the plug (along with some pier funding) which according to them was unaffordable even though everyone knew the financial benefit gained by the town from such large numbers of visitors was far in excess of that figure. From the largest free airshow in Europe to nothingā€¦.way up there with the top killjoy councils of all time.

Cost was cited as Ā£130k by the time SBC pulled the plug (along with some pier funding) which according to them was unaffordable even though everyone knew the financial benefit gained by the town from such large numbers of visitors was far in excess of that figure. From the largest free airshow in Europe to nothingā€¦.way up there with the top killjoy councils of all time.

That's a drop in the ocean if you look at the larger picture.

Don't we get extra money from the Gov now we're a City, use some of that.

Battle of Britain Flight and The Typhoon display team are due back tomorrow for the Clacton Airshow

Red Arrows off to RAF Marhem due to weather conditions

A family who ran a food store told me the pitch was Ā£5,000 for the air show weekend. So i guess the council soon got the 130k back

500,000 people spending just Ā£10 eachā€¦. That serious coin for lots of local businessesā€¦. No money in it for Amazon or Tescos though, they may even take less that weekend ā€¦.. Thereā€™s your reason why it doesnā€™t happen.

A family who ran a food store told me the pitch was Ā£5,000 for the air show weekend. So i guess the council soon got the 130k back

500,000 people spending just Ā£10 eachā€¦. That serious coin for lots of local businessesā€¦. No money in it for Amazon or Tescos though, they may even take less that weekend ā€¦.. Thereā€™s your reason why it doesnā€™t happen.

I had it on very good authority from a fish and chip shop owner who had premises on the Golden Mile that his premises actually took less money on Airshow days than they did on other Bank Holidays and the comparative Bank Holiday after the Airshow was cancelled. His reasoning was that the visitors spent their time further up Western Esplanade and used the casual catering traders even though they were charging around 20-25% more than he was... So our regular traders were not necessarily making hay...

Back