• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Has anyone actually put there heating on yet, even for half hour in the morning to take the chill off? Looking at the forcast for the next 10 days, it's looking very mild for this time of year. Lets hope that continues :)
Nope. I haven't moved my home work space yet either - that'll be first - moving from a downstairs north facing room to an upstairs south facing room

Has anyone actually put there heating on yet, even for half hour in the morning to take the chill off? Looking at the forcast for the next 10 days, it's looking very mild for this time of year. Lets hope that continues :)
No. Hardly been penguin weather, has it?

My heating has technically been on all year round. Its not come into action yet as i've still got the thermostat on "summer mode" where i have programmed it to be various temperatures at various times throughout the day. Basically during summer its a flat 16°c and only during the winter months do i change it.

My thermostat is quite smart in that its not the usual "dial on the wall" Mine is a moveable thermostat that i can move to any part of the house. It has allows for 5 settings per day and you can choose the times and the desired temperatures. Every radiator has a thermostatic valve which sets the temperature in that room. The rooms with the moveable thermostat are open to the max to ensure that the room heat to the moveable thermostat rather than the radiator thermostat.

I think i gave it a quick blast for an hour last week when it was a little cold outside. I think it dropped to 19°c in our house and I was torn between shorts or jeans and my son is currently undertaking potty training which involves going naked from the bottom half. Heating on for an hour and it brought the house up to 23°c

My heating has technically been on all year round. Its not come into action yet as i've still got the thermostat on "summer mode" where i have programmed it to be various temperatures at various times throughout the day. Basically during summer its a flat 16°c and only during the winter months do i change it.

My thermostat is quite smart in that its not the usual "dial on the wall" Mine is a moveable thermostat that i can move to any part of the house. It has allows for 5 settings per day and you can choose the times and the desired temperatures. Every radiator has a thermostatic valve which sets the temperature in that room. The rooms with the moveable thermostat are open to the max to ensure that the room heat to the moveable thermostat rather than the radiator thermostat.

I think i gave it a quick blast for an hour last week when it was a little cold outside. I think it dropped to 19°c in our house and I was torn between shorts or jeans and my son is currently undertaking potty training which involves going naked from the bottom half. Heating on for an hour and it brought the house up to 23°c
19c is the default thermostat setting in my house.

23c is like a sauna.

Just been told by shell my new rates from oct 1st. My estimated yearly bill will be 3885 a year. So my monthly payments will be around 316 a month. Something to look forward to.

Just been told by shell my new rates from oct 1st. My estimated yearly bill will be 3885 a year. So my monthly payments will be around 316 a month. Something to look forward to.
Also with Shell. My current tariff (Flexible 7 Direct Debit eBill is £1,497) and the new tariff is expected to be £1,900.

You must have a mansion or a very power hungry house to use double whet i'm using.

We have warm air heating that has been falling apart for a few years and an immersion heater

For the princely sum of £4200, we are having a Gas combi boiler fitted along with 2 downstairs radiators along with a bar shower. The immersion heater is going along with the warm air heating.

All that along with no longer using the electric shower should reduce our electricity bill.
Appreciate the gas bill will go up but it seems to be a lower kwh. What i don't know is how much Gas is needed to power hot water compared to Electricity. The heating will be controlled by thermostat so will use less Gas than the warm air heating system

Bank of England has increased interest rates by 0.5%

Market now expects interest rates to be 3.6% by year end and peak around 4.8% next summer.

Recent increase in expectations driven by the new government's fiscal policies. Seems to me the policies will be trying to increase demand, driven up inflation, whilst the Bk of England is trying to reduce demand and inflation. So the bank will increase rates more to offset the impact of the govts policies.

Just got this from British Gas

British Gas 1.png
British Gas 2.png
Holly crap! Note: the new unit rates includes the Government's Energy Price Guarantee discount. Unit rates include the Government’s Energy Price Guarantee discount of 16.999 pence per kWh (excl VAT) for electricity and 4.217 pence per kWh (excl VAT) for gas.

One of my friends who is with EON has had a notification today informing they have reduced her DD by £30 each month due to the government intervention.

I'm not sure what you're trying to get at Rob... I would suggest people who don't have a smart meter to give readings every month.
I do for my electricity with E-On, & before the increase in April my monthly bill averaged £28-£30. Since the April increase it's been between £38-£41.
Obviously it will soar again from next month, but nothing like some of the examples given.

It was the result of a recent meter reading (do not have and do not want a smart meter) I pay by direct debt which comes with a 7% discount, I do a meter reading when they e-mail me and fill figures online, normally every 3 months.

Back