• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Alleged Racism at Woking game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Most fans of a certain age will have used the term "who rattled your cage" without out it ever being considered racist.
When this gentleman was carted off by the officials from where I was standing he was actually given a standing ovation šŸ‘

Now was that because people were happy and supported the gentlemanā€™s behaviour

Or were they supporting the actions of the officials ejecting him.

šŸ¤” just a matter of interpretation at that moment in time.

bloody hell how much abuse do the officials get each game rightly or wrongly and yet anything aimed at a snowflake player and they are in the police box having a moan and then seeing their therapist for 6 weeks as they are mentally scared

Jesus we would be seeing officials jumping off bridges every weekend
That's why the standard of refereeing is so poor. Many of them have had enough of the abuse, which they get whether they have had a good game or bad, and have no intention of climbing the ladder

I think one of the players (Their 8 Daly??) who took offence to the comments was the one that was the cause of the bust up just before the final whistle. I think he was the one that took the throw in that was clearly given to us.

To me he looked like he had too much adrenaline pumping around him to fully understand the full context of what may have been said.

As has been said before the English language can be used in so many different ways. After witnessing a throw in given as Southends but taken to purely waste time by the Woking player which then created a coming together between both sets of players and the Woking players also getting involved with the crowd, describing the resulting woking players as behaving like animals and telling them to get back in their cages is clearly being used a as metaphor for what had gone on not 10 minutes before.

Shouting out "You behaved in an appalling manner for footballers who some may see as idols or role models, now please make you way back to the changing rooms and embark you coach forthwith" doesn't quite have the same punch to it.

Well i'm going to be honest, I am absolutely fed up with individual fans constantly abusing opposition players, the officials and even our own players for what seems to be the whole 90 minutes. No matter where I choose to sit at Roots Hall there are always one or two. I just want to enjoy the game and watch a game of football no matter if we win or lose and it makes me not want to attend anymore.

Their sub with a slightly larger than usual nose took far more insulting grief from our 'fan's' in the east than a 'get back in your cage' comment. The insults were directly at him and unpleasant. (A fair bit from one of our own players friends\relatives!)
To be fair he responded to it making it worse and initiated it with his actions during the game. But it was directly at him.
Had the 'get back in your cage' ended ' you xXxXk xxx' and directly been at 1 individual id think of it as racism. But not based on what I'm reading on here. My first thought when this cropped up on here was about animals. They were!
I'm starting to feel the racist people are the ones who seem to think it's good to deliberately go out of they're way to look for racism in absolutely everything, until they manage to associate something, somehow, regardless of the consequences and grief it will cause. Why can't we stick to routing out proper racism which is far more important than 'latched on' stuff like this .

That's why the standard of refereeing is so poor. Many of them have had enough of the abuse, which they get whether they have had a good game or bad, and have no intention of climbing the ladder
This is a good point. A refereeing career often starts at a young age officiating at boys and girls games which unfortunately means they get abuse from parents and carers. This carries on through to adults football where they will get abuse from managers and coaching staff who think every decision should go their way. At senior level there will be abuse from spectators at every game, usually coming from people who don't always understand the laws of the game. Added to this is the constant cheating by players. No wonder not so many people want to take up refereeing football matches which in turn can cause a lowering of standards.

No, lot of us would not. The only thing the ref got right last night was yellow cards after the 30 man handbags bundle.

Same should be for off the pitch. look up the vlog that Lenny mentioned. You can see exactly what their players were like. Fully goading the home fans even early on after they scored.
Don't dish it out if you cant take it.

Unfortunately that should also be the case to the fans, more than once this season I have seen on here people moaning because players have been giving it large to the fans after receiving 90 minutes of abuse from them.

I would be described as on the woke side of such debates, and struggle to see how that can be interpreted as a racist slur against a single player when shouted at a group of players.

Woking statement on Twitter has some front about it too, given every disturbing scene up to that point was instigated by their players.
Any looking at this by the league will review the lead up to the incident as well. If, for example. the police decided that the phrase used and context does not meet the threshold for action (lets leave that to them) then we are just left with the Woking players proximity to, and engagement with, the crowd.

From our side it seems that Stan, as a club representative, handled the situation very well and is to be commended.

If 'Get back in your cage' was said, it's a very old and common saying and was never meant or said in a racist context. It was mostly used white on white, especially in the workplace. If an actual racist comment was said, then that's totally different.
Indeed I have had the above, and the likes of 'pipe down' and 'put a sock in it' aimed at me in the distant past. I suspect, and sincerely hope, that this comment did not have any racist intentions.

Everything is racist these days. The only way to stop racism is to stop talking about racism.

If the comment was directed at two Woking players of different ethnicity I canā€™t see how that can be classed as racist?

Anyway, this is not a pleasant thing to read first thing in the morning, and maybe there is a bubbling anger under the surface of our supporter base due to the ongoing off field saga with the new stadium and embargoā€™s, financial mismanagement etc.

Not excusing it, but we really are getting close to the final straw again as a club.
what the actual ****?!

When this gentleman was carted off by the officials from where I was standing he was actually given a standing ovation šŸ‘

Now was that because people were happy and supported the gentlemanā€™s behaviour

Or were they supporting the actions of the officials ejecting him.

šŸ¤” just a matter of interpretation at that moment in time.

You might be alluding to a different incident.

The alleged racism was by someone in the reds. An old boy in his 70's with bobble hat and scarf. Im told by a member of staff he looked totally bewildered as he was arrested and led to a police room etc.

I know a lot happened in those last few minutes but don't get your East Green Ultras muddled with Red Racists.

The assault on one of their players sounds problematic to say the leastā€¦ or is that another ā€˜allegedā€™ incident.? What happensā€¦ a fine ? Games behind closed doors ? After the ā€˜assaultā€™ on the Solihull gk this is really not good however much goading has gone on.
Woking have not raised this and, based on the other situation, you would have thought they would have. May well be because it didn't happen. Or, of course, it might be asked why Woking players were, instead of going straight down the tunnel, so closely "engaging" with home fans in the East stand. The capacity for cool heads to think ahead is quite useful in these situations.

I'm not sure this is racist if what's been said on here was what was actually said, however I can see how it can be perceived as racist. If the bloke meant it in a racist way then yeah ban him for life, we don't want or need you. If it was meant in another way, really we won't ever know. I'm just not sure it's enough to ban someone over.

Last edited:
With all due respect, I don't think it is the place of white people to proclaim what is or isn't racist. (These forums being anonymous, which for the most part a good thing, means it is hard to know whether that is going on here, but I would take a very good guess that it is.)

That is not to say that intent is not relevant, and I am sure the police will take that into consideration as part of their investigation, but regardless of whether it was 'meant to be racist' the fact of the matter is that a number of black players and officials who were within earshot immediately took it to be a racially charged sentiment, as did others. If we are to rid football of discrimination, as hopefully we are all committed to, then it is their experience we have to understand, not ours.

Some have said this 'isn't a racist phrase, because white people use it against white people'. But this isn't how it works: words mean different things to different people, and in different contexts. A phrase that is fine to use against a white person can have a different connotation when used against a black person, and unless you're really determined to close your eyes and put your fingers in your ears, it's not hard to see how that can be true here. This country has a history going back centuries of putting black people in cages. Racism still endures. A black player hearing a white person angrily shouting at them, in a noisy environment, about being put in a cage is going to hear it in that context. A white player having it said about them obviously wouldn't.

Everyone will have their opinions, and for now it's down to the police. But my mother taught me to put myself in the other person's shoes before opening my mouth, and perhaps we'd be in a better place if everyone did.

Well i'm going to be honest, I am absolutely fed up with individual fans constantly abusing opposition players, the officials and even our own players for what seems to be the whole 90 minutes. No matter where I choose to sit at Roots Hall there are always one or two. I just want to enjoy the game and watch a game of football no matter if we win or lose and it makes me not want to attend anymore.
It isn't just opposition players. I sit in front of a so called supporter, who constantly berates our players and management. To be honest I have no idea why he goes to a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back