• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Cost of living increases

Shell Energy want to up my Monthly Payment from £130 to £178 a month.

I've worked out that based on my energy usage of 1,980kWh of Electricity and 10,181kWh of Gas I am predicted to use £1964.71 (which a month is £163) My current projection which was the old tariff the yearly projection was £1,539.38. A difference of roughly £400.

Guess who hasn't factored the governments £400 into the Monthly Direct Debit calculations.

They are assuming that the government aren't paying this and are therefore asking me to pay what they think i should be paying (£163 but i guess they hope its cold and i'll use more energy which is why they want £178 a month.) Shell Energy are predicting i'll be overdrawn by £544.31 but i'll actually be in credit (except the money will be in their bank accounts rather than mine. Won't let me reduce it past the £163 either

Not on my watch Shell. Phone call incoming.....

With the possibility of power outages this winter I decided to see how much Powercores are now (they're the blocks you power up and they then can be used to charge phones etc when power is off). My one is 18 months old and cost £22, the same item now is £44 on Amazon. FFS

It's crazy to think we're in 2022 and we'll face the possibility of electricity outages. Crazy.
I remember the blackouts in the 70's. Power cut around 5 o'clock at night for a couple of hours and candles dotted around the house. One always at the bottom of the stairs to light the way otherwise you stood a good chance of going arse over head in the dark.

Shell Energy want to up my Monthly Payment from £130 to £178 a month.

I've worked out that based on my energy usage of 1,980kWh of Electricity and 10,181kWh of Gas I am predicted to use £1964.71 (which a month is £163) My current projection which was the old tariff the yearly projection was £1,539.38. A difference of roughly £400.

Guess who hasn't factored the governments £400 into the Monthly Direct Debit calculations.

They are assuming that the government aren't paying this and are therefore asking me to pay what they think i should be paying (£163 but i guess they hope its cold and i'll use more energy which is why they want £178 a month.) Shell Energy are predicting i'll be overdrawn by £544.31 but i'll actually be in credit (except the money will be in their bank accounts rather than mine. Won't let me reduce it past the £163 either

Not on my watch Shell. Phone call incoming.....
the 'government' isn't paying it. the taxpayer is.

OVO (who I am with) have just put £66 back into my account. It would seem rather than deducting the £66 off my DD they are keeping the DD the same and just giving back the £66 each month.
Not fussed either way as long as they give back to me

Quick question for those who know a lot more than myself, with the Gov grant of £66 a month, does that cover daily standing charges also, or just energy?

Quick question for those who know a lot more than myself, with the Gov grant of £66 a month, does that cover daily standing charges also, or just energy?
It's just a payment (either directly to your bank account or as credit in your account), if for some unlikely reason your bills were less than £66 this month you'd still get paid the full amount.

EDF just dropped £66 into my bank account. Assume this is the way most companies are doing it. I think I’d prefer it into my EDF account rather than bank account.

Doesn't matter in the long term. You still get the credit.

Of course it does, it depends how you get it and if you're in credit or not.

This month I'm looking at a zero payment if that includes the Daily Standing charge , hence my question, is it for just energy or the whole bill.

I just want to get my facts right before I have my normal monthly argument with my provider.

OVO (who I am with) have just put £66 back into my account. It would seem rather than deducting the £66 off my DD they are keeping the DD the same and just giving back the £66 each month.
Not fussed either way as long as they give back to me
I'm with E-on. Dont do D'D's, pay monthly after submitting meter reading to them. Sept bill was £32.40p ( we were away for 5 days, it's usually around £40 ), so with the £66 from the Govt i'm £33.60p in credit!.
So even with the massive price increase from 1st Oct, i est i will only be paying a few quid extra some months, after my initial £33.60p credit has been absorbed into my future monthly bills.

Of course it does, it depends how you get it and if you're in credit or not.

This month I'm looking at a zero payment if that includes the Daily Standing charge , hence my question, is it for just energy or the whole bill.

I just want to get my facts right before I have my normal monthly argument with my provider.
On the whole bill, energy + standing charge.

Local window cleaner just quoted me £25 to clean our windows front and back.

We have a 4 bed semi, is this expensive or am I out of touch.

Back