• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Oh wow, that photo, coming back from the England game after a few beers! Can't recall Mick, but had dealings with all the rest at various stages of my Shrimpers life, didn't even know Roger had gone! Knocked on his door once asking him to join me to hitch hike to a game, Port Vale I think, late on a Friday night, wasn't up to it, but gave me 50p, very helpful back then, and wished me luck. Gee, that's put a downer on quite a happy evening. No, bugger, great memories, used that 50p well, though we lost 2-0 if I recall!

Oh wow, that photo, coming back from the England game after a few beers! Can't recall Mick, but had dealings with all the rest at various stages of my Shrimpers life, didn't even know Roger had gone! Knocked on his door once asking him to join me to hitch hike to a game, Port Vale I think, late on a Friday night, wasn't up to it, but gave me 50p, very helpful back then, and wished me luck. Gee, that's put a downer on quite a happy evening. No, bugger, great memories, used that 50p well, though we lost 2-0 if I recall!

Roger as I said used to write articles for the fanzine "What's The Story, Southend Glory", here are some of the stories as he faced his fight with throat cancer.

Issue 87 Aug99Page1.jpg

Issue 87 Aug99Page2.jpg

Issue 89 Aug99 Page1.jpg

Issue 89 Aug99 Page2.jpg

Issue 89 Aug99 Page3.jpg

Issue 90 Sep99 Page1.jpg

Issue 91 Sep99 Page1.jpg

Issue 91 Sep99 Page2.jpg

Apart from Dave Barnett, did any of those go on to play in the first starting Eleven?
Dave Barnett made 57 + 9 sub. appearances in League & Cup.
Peter Hunt made 54 + 8 sub. appearances in League & Cup scoring 1 goal at Roots Hall against Oldham Athletic Easter 1971.(won 3-0)
Paul Vickery made 1 sub. appearance at Roots Hall on Boxing Day 1969 against Lincoln City in a 2-2 draw he replaced Phil O'Connor not in picture who I believe was Mick O'Connor's brother? and is in this picture. Phil O'Connor moved down under and became an Australian International making 20 appearances scoring 5 goals. Sadly Phil died in Sept. 1985 when the van he was driving left the road and hit a tree killing him instantly.💙

Back