• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Latest Rumours January & Beyond Transfer Rumour Thread

Not seen it mentioned on here so far but Andy Hessenthaler (Head of recruitment at Gillingham) was in the boxes today. Asked about rumours of Bridge he said they aren't in the market for wingers. They are after a spine to be built around. Mentioned centre half, centre mid and centre forward.

Lopata / Hobson, Miley and possibly Cardwell.

They (Andy was chatting to a colleague) were talking about Cardwell tracking back to block a cross into the box in the first half and seemed quite impressed with him. Seemed to mention lack of game time due to injuries.

Harris was at the last game of the season back in May last year. 2 + 2 = 5 hopefully

Last edited:
Warning shot across Ron’s bow if I’ve ever seen one…
Agreed! Fair play to Kev, he knows how to handle Ron in front of the press and probably in front of Ron too, i'll imagine he's had words with the shyster over the years what with being skipper and now manager.

Not really down to KM is it.
If Ron gets a wiff of cash being mentioned, everyone is available!
I don’t think we need to worry about Ron trying to drum up cash as much as popular opinion suggests.

The minute that we can use the new training ground, the housing development can start at boots and laces. That’s a high value receivable that he can finance against. Expectations are that we can move out of boots and laces in a matter of months.

Also hearing about the interview where ron is suggesting a future owner can come in now to back the team so long as they don’t try and take a stake in the development suggests that this is the game plan

Agreed! Fair play to Kev, he knows how to handle Ron in front of the press and probably in front of Ron too, i'll imagine he's had words with the shyster over the years what with being skipper and now manager.
Probably reminding him about his overdue testimonial

After all, we are a selling club. The reason we sign these players is so we can get short term success on the pitch and sell them to keep the club afloat

This is the reason why we won't get back to the EFL with Martin (or anyone without money) incharge.

Unfortunately, every player we have that attracts a decent offer will be sold and KM and the gang will have nothing to say about it.

Right now, if 50k came in for either Hobson or Bridge, I reckon they'd be gone

After all, we are a selling club. The reason we sign these players is so we can get short term success on the pitch and sell them to keep the club afloat

This is the reason why we won't get back to the EFL with Martin (or anyone without money) incharge.

Unfortunately, every player we have that attracts a decent offer will be sold and KM and the gang will have nothing to say about it.

I agree, although I'd also say doesn't really matter if Ron is in charge. Even if we didn't have money issues, it's difficult to stand in the way of a players desire to play higher league football. If the player wants to move on, then I'd say let them as long as the fee is appropriate.

Grimsby got back to the EFL and I don’t think they were loaded.

And I don’t think £50k is a decent offer. In the context of our situation it doesn’t move the needle. It’s not going to pay off the amount due to HMRC. It’s not even going to make up the monthly shortfall.

With Hobson it might be a slightly different situation as he can walk for nothing in a few months and it may make more sense to get something now than nothing at the end of the season but that would be true for any other club in this division (other than maybe Wrexham).

If Blondy goes and we can bring in a loan goalkeeper then we should consider Ovie Ejeheri who has been excellent for Chelmsford City this season. He has been there on loan from Arsenal but the term has just ended making him available.

Not seen it mentioned on here so far but Andy Hessenthaler (Head of recruitment at Gillingham) was in the boxes today. Asked about rumours of Bridge he said they aren't in the market for wingers. They are after a spine to be built around. Mentioned centre half, centre mid and centre forward.

Lopata / Hobson, Miley and possibly Cardwell.

They (Andy was chatting to a colleague) were talking about Cardwell tracking back to block a cross into the box in the first half and seemed quite impressed with him. Seemed to mention lack of game time due to injuries.

Harris was at the last game of the season back in May last year. 2 + 2 = 5 hopefully
Interesting!

Hessenthaler and Kenny Jackett recently installed as Head of Recruitment and Director of Football at Gillingham brought in by the clubs new multi millionaire owner to bolster the recruitment structure.
I also assume a strong link continues to exist with Tom Lawrence
and First port of call for Hessenthaler is us !!
Wouldnt surprise me at all to see some transfer activity soon in that direction
If we are to follow ( as Stan implies ) , the successful Brentford type model . it only works if you can build a good young side over 2 to 3 years and MOSTLY keeping them together, The sell on is the key, to building the plan and sustaining funds but only if you have got the ready made replacements lined up and Dont disrupt the teams development to much, otherwise it is less likely to work and you dont want an Embargo substantially hindering the plan

The whole buying or selling club is a misnomer for me. Every club that isn’t the richest is a selling club if another club can make a bid they would find difficult to refuse. Those same clubs are also buying clubs if there are clubs below them in the pyramid that they could outbid or who would find it difficult to turn down an offer.

The key thing is due diligence: buying right, selling right and succession planning.

Grimsby got back to the EFL and I don’t think they were loaded.

And I don’t think £50k is a decent offer. In the context of our situation it doesn’t move the needle. It’s not going to pay off the amount due to HMRC. It’s not even going to make up the monthly shortfall.

With Hobson it might be a slightly different situation as he can walk for nothing in a few months and it may make more sense to get something now than nothing at the end of the season but that would be true for any other club in this division (other than maybe Wrexham).
Grimsby had a change of owner before they went up.

Grimsby had a change of owner before they went up.
That’s true and they definitely didn’t have the baggage we had last season (neither the financial troubles nor the club owners’ responsibility for their NL status). I don’t think the new owners are particularly showering Grimsby with cash though so the transfer and player sales related points are still valid I think.

That’s true and they definitely didn’t have the baggage we had last season (neither the financial troubles nor the club owners’ responsibility for their NL status). I don’t think the new owners are particularly showering Grimsby with cash though so the transfer and player sales related points are still valid I think.

It’s also worth noting that Grimsby used Stan’s recruitment guy that he wanted to bring in here…

You cant down double your wages no matter who it is ,least he know would get paid regularly

Back