• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Darlington F.A Trophy

Must be very rare in any game to hit the post 4 times, I wonder whether we have ever done that before and what the UK or our record might be. I know Liverpool hit the post 27 times during season 2013-14 . Couple of years ago Evesham United lost 2 -1 to Yate Town but hit the post SIX times
Yet again on another day we could have had 5. Someone is going to take a hammering from us before the season is out ?

To list the last 16:-

Aldershot
Altrincham
Bracknell Town
Maidenhead
Dorking
Eastleigh
Farsley Celtic
Gateshead
Hungerford
Barnet
York City
Southend United
Banbury/Coalville
Harrow/FC Halifax
Torquay/ Taunton
Notts County/Maidstone United

A deserved win albeit made hard work of it. Possibly the worst error by a lino I’ve ever seen at a game.
The lino on our side(in front of the blue and yellow seats) was equally shocking. Hardly ever kept up with play.

Cardwell is now showing his true potential. He hasn't got the greatest scoring record, but the games I've seen him, you could see he should be scoring more goals. Perhaps one of those late developers in footballing terms. Lets hope he's injury free and the goals keep coming.

Last season he was starved of crosses at RH. In the last 3 home games the supply has increased each game. If the delivery is good he gets something on it. The whole squad should be looking for early balls in for Harry C

Well done Blondie. Sharp hands, dealt with the header outside the box and great game saving block at the strikers feet. The was late on and they would have been 2-1 up.

Aldershot
Altrincham
Bracknell Town
Maidenhead
Dorking
Eastleigh
Farsley Celtic
Gateshead
Hungerford
Barnet
York City
Southend United
Banbury/Coalville
Harrow/FC Halifax
Torquay/ Taunton
Hungerford, Farsley, Bracknell, Banbury/Coaville hopefully

I would like to add a honourable mention from this game for Harry Taylor. He got some serious kickings from the Darlington players but he got up from them all, dusted himself down and proceeded to win most of his battles in the midfield. A middle line of Husin, Taylor and Miley is starting to look very solid.

Did I miss something by the way, I thought that Jake Hyde was well off the starting gate according to Maher before the game?

And finally a word about Darlington. I was expecting more of an attacking force than we witnessed, and they were nowhere near our skill levels, but they kept fighting and did their supporters proud. And for that matter their supporters did their club proud, although there was a moment of pure karma after they scored, they were jumping up and down in joy and along comes Cardwell to tuck in a very sweet glacing header which shut them up within a couple of minutes of them taking the lead. Ain't life a bitch when that happens and your very sweet moment is over in a couple of minutes.

I would like to add a honourable mention from this game for Harry Taylor. He got some serious kickings from the Darlington players but he got up from them all, dusted himself down and proceeded to win most of his battles in the midfield. A middle line of Husin, Taylor and Miley is starting to look very solid.

Did I miss something by the way, I thought that Jake Hyde was well off the starting gate according to Maher before the game?

And finally a word about Darlington. I was expecting more of an attacking force than we witnessed, and they were nowhere near our skill levels, but they kept fighting and did their supporters proud. And for that matter their supporters did their club proud, although there was a moment of pure karma after they scored, they were jumping up and down in joy and along comes Cardwell to tuck in a very sweet glacing header which shut them up within a couple of minutes of them taking the lead. Ain't life a bitch when that happens and your very sweet moment is over in a couple of minutes.

Naturally there were mistakes on that heavy pitch. One slipped under Cav's foot first half and he made two great tackles to win it back. Second half we got a bad bounce in their half and Cav sprinted 70 yds to win a goal kick by forcing their lad off the pitch in front of his own fans.

As you say Taylor took his whacks and got on with his work and Husin loves to pick pockets. Its a nice blend and one that says we wont be bullied. Something our midfield has lacked and cost us dearly in the last 4 seasons.

Cardwell is now showing his true potential. He hasn't got the greatest scoring record, but the games I've seen him, you could see he should be scoring more goals. Perhaps one of those late developers in footballing terms. Lets hope he's injury free and the goals keep coming.
I guess one of the challenges for Southend will be holding on to Harry Cardwell during this transfer window...

Naturally there were mistakes on that heavy pitch. One slipped under Cav's foot first half and he made two great tackles to win it back. Second half we got a bad bounce in their half and Cav sprinted 70 yds to win a goal kick by forcing their lad off the pitch in front of his own fans.

As you say Taylor took his whacks and got on with his work and Husin loves to pick pockets. Its a nice blend and one that says we wont be bullied. Something our midfield has lacked and cost us dearly in the last 4 seasons.
Another other thing that was good to see was when we got clattered the players got in the ref's face straight away, something we have been guilty of avoiding previously. And when Darlington went for the 'in your face' intimidation, we didn't shirk from giving them some back.

Another other thing that was good to see was when we got clattered the players got in the ref's face straight away, something we have been guilty of avoiding previously. And when Darlington went for the 'in your face' intimidation, we didn't shirk from giving them some back.
Yes it was better and good at the facing and shoving but we were a bit slow to use our 'Wrexham' card on the lino after their goal. Plus the foul on Bridge was clearly a second yellow but we weren't outraged quick enough so the ref bottled the clearest yellow of the day.

Aldershot
Altrincham
Bracknell Town
Maidenhead
Dorking
Eastleigh
Farsley Celtic
Gateshead
Hungerford
Barnet
York City
Southend United
Banbury/Coalville
Harrow/FC Halifax
Torquay/ Taunton
Bet we draw Dorking away (who we'd of been playing on 11 Feb in the NL if not successful today)!

Great to see Cardwell notch two, Blondie had a decent game too. Kept pressing right to end too. How their goal wasn’t offside is beyond me. East stand was a tight squeeze and a decent away following. Four forward back to fitness too is massive for us now.
The lino was a buffoon, that's why.
We were sat in line with the player and he was at least 5 yards off when the ball was played

Back