• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Darlington F.A Trophy

Another other thing that was good to see was when we got clattered the players got in the ref's face straight away, something we have been guilty of avoiding previously. And when Darlington went for the 'in your face' intimidation, we didn't shirk from giving them some back.
One of their players even wanted to fight the fans. Came over when their player was being treated for an injury, had a pop at the camerman then offered out a fab. Couldn't make it up

Blondy - 7 - some fantastic saves and brave moments today. Kicking still pretty poor but a much improved performance!

Demetriou - 7 - solid enough game
Kensdale - 7 - played well, some nice runs forwards. Couple of wayward long balls.
Lopata - 7 - similar comments to Kensdale, played well.
Ralph - 6 - thought he was a little weaker today. Would have liked to see a little more going forward from him.

Husin - 6 - plenty of energy, would have liked him to be a little more positive in possession.
Miley - 6 - done pretty well, similar to Husin - I’d like our midfield to create more chances in general.
Bridge - 9 - our main attacking threat as always. Looks like creating something everytime he has the ball. We need to get the ball to him quicker!
Taylor - 6 - done okay, got stuck in and played some good balls.

Powell - 4 - Mr. Invisible. Looked disinterested, didn’t have his usual energy and missed another decent chance. Not sure he’s what we need up there to be honest.
Cardwell - 8 - put himself about, had some great chances with two goals… can’t ask much more from a forward.

Subs - nothing massive to mention aside from being good to see Murphy and Hyde getting some minutes. Thought Murphy looked sharp.

Ref - 2 - some atrocious decisions for both teams. Blatant throw ins given the wrong way all afternoon and had zero control of the game.

Did he not make the assist for the winning goal.....??

Controversial viewpoint alert...

From my view, their guy was miles ONside when the ball was played over the top for their goal. The forward ahead of him was offside, but the scorer ran through and I thought was easily onside. No-one appealed either, until after the goal had been given.

Felt for Powell. The heavy pitch really does affect him. It takes the pace off the ball and gives defenders extra time to react against him. No coincidence that he the goals have dried up for him.

Good display today, was impressed with the keeper in particular and Husin.

One of their players even wanted to fight the fans. Came over when their player was being treated for an injury, had a pop at the camerman then offered out a fab. Couldn't make it up
Offered up half the stand in front of the 4th official and the lino and didn't even get booked. Luckily he was **** and missed a sitter to give them the win.

Controversial viewpoint alert...

From my view, their guy was miles ONside when the ball was played over the top for their goal. The forward ahead of him was offside, but the scorer ran through and I thought was easily onside. No-one appealed either, until after the goal had been given.
I was level with the darlington forward and I also thought he was onside when the pass was made.

A good cup game, good atmosphere with the East Stand packed and an impressive away support. The better team won but could have lost thanks to our failure to convert some decent chances. I would have said thanks to an inept linesman but as happens so many times when we see the highlights it may not be the case, as a couple of posters have suggested their goalscorer was onside.. Cardwell and Blondie joint MoM's for me. Darlo were no mugs though, better than some in our league and after what they've been through I hope they end up with promotion. There were some strange goings on when their player was quite seriously injured and play was halted for some time. Did someone with a phone try to get to the ref with a photo to prove the ball had gone over the line, probably from Powell's shot cleared off the line? Something clearly annoyed some Darlington players.

After the game an ambulance arrived with blue flashing lights which I'm assuming was for the Quakers player who went off injured. Hope he's OK. Main points, we won and we don't seem to have picked up any more injuries.

He looked to be really struggling. Couldn't understand why a stretcher wasn't used for him instead of the groggy trudge around the pitch.

Offered up half the stand in front of the 4th official and the lino and didn't even get booked. Luckily he was **** and missed a sitter to give them the win.
The fact not a single one of their players was booked for that debacle says it all about the officiating.

I guess one of the challenges for Southend will be holding on to Harry Cardwell during this transfer window...
Do you really think teams will take the risk. Yes he’s come back and hit a bit of form but he hasn’t proved he can stay fit yet. I’d genuinely be surprised if we had any bids come in for him this transfer window.

Back