• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News FA Trophy 5th Round: Southend United v York City, Saturday 11 Feb 3pm

Seems the fans are underestimating the opposition already.. Billy big bollox don’t win cups.. only wodger winner wins stuf

Not really, most are just stating the obvious which is that we have a good chance to reach the final with a lot of the top teams going out.

Not really, most are just stating the obvious which is that we have a good chance to reach the final with a lot of the top teams going out.
For example
Jeez there some crap sides left in! Southend should really get to the finals with those teams left in. Nice trip to Wembley is very much on the cards.

All teams have a chance…
Of course, but it is wrong to tell people they are wrong to think we have a great chance to make a final.

According to bet365, we are a 28.6% chance to win it, let alone make the final.

The next nearest are Barnet with 15.3% and then York/Eastleigh each with 10%. All teams have a chance but ours are much greater than everyone else's, and we are right to get enthused by it. What's the point in being a football fan if you don't?

Of course, but it is wrong to tell people they are wrong to think we have a great chance to make a final.

The next nearest are Barnet with 15.3% and then York/Eastleigh each with 10%. All teams have a chance but ours are much greater than everyone else's, and we are right to get enthused by it. What's the point in being a football fan if you don't?
Those betting odds make zero sense. Barnet are above us in the league for a reason. Yes we beat them in a one-off game but over the course of the season they have been better. For us to be predicted as having double the chance of winning it as they do is bizarre.

Those betting odds make zero sense. Barnet are above us in the league for a reason. Yes we beat them in a one-off game but over the course of the season they have been better. For us to be predicted as having double the chance of winning it as they do is bizarre.
Barnet aren't rated by the market, I understand their underlying performance stats are a lot worse than ours. I don't have access to that data but hopefully somebody does.

That's us going out to Farsley Celtic in the next round then.

Has years of watching Southend not taught you anything?
Of course but looking at the sides left in does look decent pathway to Wembley. Better to play Farsley celtic than Wrexham isn't it.

Enthusiasm tempered with respect.. f do not always see that here.. bookies arnt always right

For example
Jeez there some crap sides left in! Southend should really get to the finals with those teams left in. Nice trip to Wembley is very much on the cards.
I'm only saying what others are thinking. Clearly your not as optimistic about sufc chances of getting to Wembley.

Barnet aren't rated by the market, I understand their underlying performance stats are a lot worse than ours. I don't have access to that data but hopefully somebody does.
Fair point. I have seen a few stats-based assessments on them that aren't that complimentary, so perhaps that is the reason why. Brennan is doing a terrific job there.

I'm really looking forward to the draw, I can't remember when I last felt even a tiny bit excited about Southend in a cup competition. Not getting carried away, but may as well get enthusiastic while we can!

Enthusiasm tempered with respect.. f do not always see that here.. bookies arnt always right
As an aside ,when I was younger and courting my present wife ,I picked her up one day and it was her nexts door neighbours sons birthday ,daddy bought him a brand new car ! At the time I had a £50 Austin 8 (my first car ) what did daddy do for a living u ask ,he was a bookmaker

I think given we have had very little to be positive about in recent years, there is no harm in being optimistic about a good cup run in this competition. Yes it is the FA Trophy, however, we now have a realistic chance of winning it and a visit to Wembley thrown in.

Winning breeds winning so a good cup run so certainly do no harm in our promotion efforts. It is obvious we would rather get promotion but the two are not mutually exclusive are they?

As an aside ,when I was younger and courting my present wife ,I picked her up one day and it was her nexts door neighbours sons birthday ,daddy bought him a brand new car ! At the time I had a £50 Austin 8 (my first car ) what did daddy do for a living u ask ,he was a bookmaker
And? You dated her for a bet?

For example
All 3 of those statements would stand up though to those looking in.

I would say we have a good chance of getting to the final and SOME of the teams aren't all that great but of course nothings a given.

Think of all those small teams glued to the draw just hoping they get drawn against the big boys. SUFC at home will be their big payday this season or a chance to play at RH.....A story to tell their grandchildren, after they have finished their post round (there is always a postman in non league cup runs)

Thats the reason we are favourites. Lets not be humble, after all we are massive everywhere we go.

Back