• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Supporters Group Statement and Q&A meeting with Ron Martin and Tom Lawrence. 28/03/2023

Serious question here -

If you are a Southend supporter, and the club is going through a hard financial time with the owner saying that they need the money to come out of the embargo, then why on earth would you NOT buy your season ticket (assuming that you were someone who would buy one usually)?

Now that Ron has come to the table and has put the club up for sale, what good does anyone think a continuing season ticket boycott will do?

Serious question here -

If you are a Southend supporter, and the club is going through a hard financial time with the owner saying that they need the money to come out of the embargo, then why on earth would you NOT buy your season ticket (assuming that you were someone who would buy one usually)?

Now that Ron has come to the table and has put the club up for sale, what good does anyone think a continuing season ticket boycott will do?

Because:

A. The club is now putting the onus on the fans to rescue the club financially, which is tantamount to blackmail.

B. We have all been supporting the club with season card sales for the last few seasons and still find ourselves embargoed anyway.

C. Ron told us directly that the bridging loan would stabilise the club and yet people still aren't paid and we remain under an embargo. It's clear he got nowhere near the amount he actually wanted.

I won't buy a season card with him in charge. I have no faith at all that even with season cards selling well, we would not find ourselves infront of the court again facing winding up charges.

If a new owner comes in, I'll be at the front of the queue to buy a new increased price season card.

This is exactly what I have been saying for years. We had about 6 home games in a month and yet nothing got paid? Where does it all go?
That's exactly it, where does it all go? Most likely towards Fossets and his other companies that are in massive debt.

Can't help feeling like we are being conned again and if the increase had been a realistic 10% I doubt this discussion would be taking place but 15% if you all cough up in 3 weeks or else it's 30% 😱

This is at a time when so many are struggling to pay essential bills like mortgages, rent, heating etc. Once again we are being taken for granted and taken the p!$$ out of 😡

Serious question here -

If I knew for sure that it would go to paying the staff and players I would consider it, sorry but heard too many lies over the years and once again no
Because:

A. The club is now putting the onus on the fans to rescue the club financially, which is tantamount to blackmail.

B. We have all been supporting the club with season card sales for the last few seasons and still find ourselves embargoed anyway.

C. Ron told us directly that the bridging loan would stabilise the club and yet people still aren't paid and we remain under an embargo. It's clear he got nowhere near the amount he actually wanted.

I won't buy a season card with him in charge. I have no faith at all that even with season cards selling well, we would not find ourselves infront of the court again facing winding up charges.

If a new owner comes in, I'll be at the front of the queue to buy a new increased price season card.
Completely agree and me too 👍

Serious question here -

Sorry, just to be clear, he can’t afford staff wages but he can afford to build over 1000 flats ?

Sorry, just to be clear, he can’t afford staff wages but he can afford to build over 1000 flats ?

He isn't paying though is he.

I also understood that that the initial 3 sides of the stadium is being built for free by the construction partners. So why on earth is he going to charge the club 300-400k per year?

I really don't see any positives from that meeting. He is basically saying it's down to the fans to fund the club (buy a season card). TL says that Ron will fund the club until a buyer comes in but how, when Ron has no funds to speak of? The man has had to get a bridging loan out, which he hasn't paid for yet. Then TL says, we need supporters to buy season cards as that money pays off certain debts and helps us in off-season. You literally just said Ron would fund the club. How? The current bridging loan will run out very soon, if it hasn't already. So what are we going to do in the meantime? Season card sales probably do help see the club over line during off season but that's in normal circumstances. Not when you're being hounded for past debts and past wages, as well as current bills and wages. They also have current HMRC debt to pay and probable further historic debt too. Furthermore, they always say that the safety certificate costs around £400k. How on earth are they going to find that sort of money? Especially when we know it won't even pass it without major repairs. Further money to find.

If they had received the full £5m bridging loan and there was a time frame of how that money was to be used and the things it would pay off, which then leads into finance being released from the stadium, people may be more inclined to understand the process and be a little more secure. The fact they only got £2m, and that's probably all gone, there is little hope of anything positive unless he finds a buyer, which doesn't look likely at present.

I feel for the supporters groups a little bit because if they tell people to not buy a ST, there will literally be no money whatsoever. Which is awful for the club and Kev. However, even if 3 thousand supporters bought a ST, that would never be enough to cover what needs covering. We'd have no team, still under an embargo and a stadium not fit for purpose. Oh, and 3 thousand fans out of pocket. Awful situation for all of us.

I also understood that that the initial 3 sides of the stadium is being built for free by the construction partners. So why on earth is he going to charge the club 300-400k per year?
Who’s the construction partners?
And what have they been offered in return??

Although the Trust do a good job and great fans give up their time freely I do think they made a huge mistake in lending Ron £40k. Surprise, surprise he hasn't paid it back on the due date. Anyone who does dealings with this dodgy businessman needs think far more carefully.

Because:

In fairness all Ron and Tom have done is state the bleeding obvious. The club is desperate for the season ticket money. They were asked a question and they answered it honestly. Would you have expected them to say they're not desperate and they can go months without the money?

He's not paying and they're not being built yet. That's also through another company, not SUFC. It's irrelevant to the issue.

Because he's the landlord?

The stadium will need maintaining, plus who built it and how much it cost isn't really relevant. If you inherited a house (ie it cost you nothing), would you rent it out for free?

I think the nonsense about Fossets Farm and the flying pigs has to stop ...

RM is broke and unable to function.

If he cant pay the bar staff he cant build a stadium.
He cant pay back the trust.
He is finished.

Not sure why the trust wanted to speak to him ..

Unless we get new owners very soon we will be in administration. Which is great opportunity for the fans to buy the club. For which we are unprepared.

Depressing .. isn't it.

Its always made sense that the season ticket money pays for the costs in the close season, and then daily tickets / corporate bookings for boxes etc then helps to pay for the costs on a monthly basis.

Even with my basic guestimate of the numbers in each category its not in the millions and only helps the club to cover costs for a couple of months (3-4 at most)

I've also assumed that everyone buys at the early bird price, so the figures could be more if people purchase after the early bird. I have probably been a little generous in the number sold in each category but not knowing past purchase history its hard to guestimate.

1680080717209.png

I know that in previous seasons Tom has alluded to the fact that the credit card companies have drip fed monies paid via credit card to them on a game by game basis (mostly during Covid, but I believe it happened in the 21/22 season and thus the request last year for the 22/23 season to make payment by bank transfer or cash.

I assume that the club have struck an agreement with their card merchant provider that allows them to access the monies as required, rather than the club being fed up to £14.78 per game by the merchant provider as and when the games are played.

Anyone in doubt can make a payment by credit card and your covered by Section 75.

Section 75 means that if you pay for something costing over £100 and less than £30,000 on credit, the lender's equally liable (along with the retailer) if something goes wrong. The law's clear on this – you get the protection for the whole cost of an item or service, even if you only pay for a part of it on credit. As long as the items costs over £100 or less than £30,000, you'll be covered for the full amount, even if you only pay 1p of it on your credit card.

Anyone buying a Young Person or above card would be fine and if the club did fold, you would be able to obtain a refund from the card provider if the club do not refund. Note that its on an item basis, not the total value of the payment. So a junior season ticket would not be covered as its under £100 (even though the total payment may have come to more if other season tickets where purchased)

I was holding off until the club came to the table and answered the questions put to them. Now they have engaged and had a meeting I'll be purchasing mine in the coming days.

The stadium will need maintaining, plus who built it and how much it cost isn't really relevant. If you inherited a house (ie it cost you nothing), would you rent it out for free?

He has got no money ....

if anyone ever develops that site it will be someone with money not RM.

Its always made sense that the season ticket money pays for the costs in the close season, and then daily tickets / corporate bookings for boxes etc then helps to pay for the costs on a monthly basis.

Even with my basic guestimate of the numbers in each category its not in the millions and only helps the club to cover costs for a couple of months (3-4 at most)

I've also assumed that everyone buys at the early bird price, so the figures could be more if people purchase after the early bird. I have probably been a little generous in the number sold in each category but not knowing past purchase history its hard to guestimate.

View attachment 25780

I know that in previous seasons Tom has alluded to the fact that the credit card companies have drip fed monies paid via credit card to them on a game by game basis (mostly during Covid, but I believe it happened in the 21/22 season and thus the request last year for the 22/23 season to make payment by bank transfer or cash.

I assume that the club have struck an agreement with their card merchant provider that allows them to access the monies as required, rather than the club being fed up to £14.78 per game by the merchant provider as and when the games are played.

Anyone in doubt can make a payment by credit card and your covered by Section 75.

Section 75 means that if you pay for something costing over £100 and less than £30,000 on credit, the lender's equally liable (along with the retailer) if something goes wrong. The law's clear on this – you get the protection for the whole cost of an item or service, even if you only pay for a part of it on credit. As long as the items costs over £100 or less than £30,000, you'll be covered for the full amount, even if you only pay 1p of it on your credit card.

Anyone buying a Young Person or above card would be fine and if the club did fold, you would be able to obtain a refund from the card provider if the club do not refund. Note that its on an item basis, not the total value of the payment. So a junior season ticket would not be covered as its under £100 (even though the total payment may have come to more if other season tickets where purchased)

I was holding off until the club came to the table and answered the questions put to them. Now they have engaged and had a meeting I'll be purchasing mine in the coming days.

of course this income indicates a company with a functioning revenue stream - which is significant for banks etc.

And it also starts the commercial process of re-booking the advertisers and sponsors for next season which is also a substantial revenue source.

Why break the habit of a lifetime,

• Haha
Reactions: fbm
I've said it before and I'll say it again, this is death by a thousand papercuts.

Ron can say whatever he wants; the vast majority of fans (rightly) won't believe a word that he says. More than ever, we need to see action. Saying he'll sell the club means nothing until ownership has fully changed hands. Saying he'll build the stadium means nothing until Fossetts is ready to host our first game. Anything said about building a team for the future is irrelevant until we're out of the embargo and Kev and company can manage a club that runs with a degree of normalcy.

He's a charlatan. A "property developer" who has never developed anything other than hatred amongst the fanbase of the club he owns and purports to f*****g love.

Back