• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Supporters Group News Supporters Group Statement and Q&A meeting with Ron Martin and Tom Lawrence. 28/03/2023

Serious question here -

If you are a Southend supporter, and the club is going through a hard financial time with the owner saying that they need the money to come out of the embargo, then why on earth would you NOT buy your season ticket (assuming that you were someone who would buy one usually)?

Now that Ron has come to the table and has put the club up for sale, what good does anyone think a continuing season ticket boycott will do?
Nothing serious about these questions at all.

"Ron has come to the table" - Jesus Christ

To me Ron owns and needs to take ownership of this mess. In the end the buck stops with him. No debate there. He owns it.

But starving a cash strapped club of cashflow has consequences whether we like it or not. And although it's very very uncomfortable to accept this, it will likely have a knock on effect regarding our ability to pay bills including wages. And we know Ron likely hasn't got the money at this point to make up the difference.

So, and I know this won't be popular, we have to also own the fact that a consequence of this action will likely affect both management team and staff (who we least want to impact). No amount of wanting it to be otherwise will make it true.

If the supporters groups want to continue the approach then at least do it being honest about the likely consequences. Just repeating its all Ron's fault don't blame us might make some feel better. But it wont make those impacted feel better. Regrettably...

None of this forgives Ron getting us to where we are. But given the club is for sale, and the Q&A whilst as always leaving some questions unanswered (on him..), and others unasked (on the questioners..) what more realistically can happen at this point to make the withholding of season ticket money worth the cost?

I wonder how much longer John Still and his scouting team will stick with us. Unless a new buyer and removal of RM involvement in the club is achieved within the next month or so how are going to persuade any players (who have other options) that coming to Southend would be their best option ? The white board may be full of names of players with ability and ambition and I imagine negotiations with the most in demand would normally start very soon if not already started.
I’m guessing that John Still gets some sort of payment / bonus related to players signing so if we we can’t persuade players to sign for us what’s the point of him and his team scouting for us , might as well go somewhere that can act on the recommendations.

if we achieved the dream of new owners say in June or July will that be too late to save next season because prime targets will already have been snapped up ?

Could all the season ticket money be paid to the trust and released on guarentees cast in blood for every action taken, like 1. Pay the staff'2. Pay st Johns Ambulance etc, 3. Communicate honestly every other day, 4 demonstrate progress on sale, 5 write a legal document confirming giving up debt to club
add to the list as you wish folks Im sure there are many more guarantees we would expect to pay up for?

To me Ron owns and needs to take ownership of this mess. In the end the buck stops with him. No debate there. He owns it.

But starving a cash strapped club of cashflow has consequences whether we like it or not. And although it's very very uncomfortable to accept this, it will likely have a knock on effect regarding our ability to pay bills including wages. And we know Ron likely hasn't got the money at this point to make up the difference.

So, and I know this won't be popular, we have to also own the fact that a consequence of this action will likely affect both management team and staff (who we least want to impact). No amount of wanting it to be otherwise will make it true.

If the supporters groups want to continue the approach then at least do it being honest about the likely consequences. Just repeating its all Ron's fault don't blame us might make some feel better. But it wont make those impacted feel better. Regrettably...

None of this forgives Ron getting us to where we are. But given the club is for sale, and the Q&A whilst as always leaving some questions unanswered (on him..), and others unasked (on the questioners..) what more realistically can happen at this point to make the withholding of season ticket money worth the cost?
I don't see anything in the statement where the Supporters groups are suggesting fans continue the delay in purchase of their season card?

They have rightly said, here is the info we have squeezed out of Ron (& Tom), now it's down to the individual to decide whether they want to purchase a season card, based on this info, their own thoughts and personal circumstances. As for consequences, well Ron has made that quite clear in the first question hasn't he....those pesky fans not buying season cards...

All the fans and groups have done a great job in recent weeks (including those that have marched and protested) for putting the heat on and getting Ron to talk, let alone get him answering some decent questions for 2hrs. This has provided some good info for fans to digest and then perhaps make a decision regards season card purchase on the back of it.

It's my question, I should know whether it's a serious one or not. I'm curious as to what good fans think it will do.

Would you care to give answering it a go?

I personally wouldn't get my season ticket yet if I was going to get one, I stopped after 17 years of having one post Covid and having three young kids to look after, therefore not being able to go to every single game these days.

That aside, if I were going to get a ST, the reason's why I wouldn't the prospect of still being in embargo for at least another 4 weeks, no communication from the club, no confidence Ron will pay the staff, no guarantee Ron will pay the players, no confidence Ron will pay the next tax bill, the prediction we'll be under an embargo again soon after coming out of it, no confidence we'll have a squad of players next season who will even be capable of even staying in the league, the list just goes on and on. I've supported through thick and thin and everyone has a line where they think they've been stood on more times than they can take now.

Ron and Tom had a meeting with fan groups for one reason only and that's because they need our money and have now put it on our shoulders that if we don't buy one the club will be in trouble. I remember Ron saying many many many times season ticket and on the day ticket money barely helps out at all, now he's saying how important it is. That's the only reason they've engaged with fans, anyone who thinks otherwise is in cookoo land. The fact they said they use ST money to survive the summer just proves how incapable Ron is in running any type of business, robbing Peter to pay Paul like he has done for years upon years.

Hitting Ron where it hurts financially isn't ideal for the club that's obvious but on the flip side he's got himself into this mess through years of pathetic management and he can't put this on the fans. Not to mention we're in a cost of living crisis and it wouldn't be surprising or not understandable that not everyone will be able to afford the luxury of a ST next season.

If Ron disrespects the fans day after day after day, don't be surprised that they're not willing to give you near enough £400 or whetever it is.

Could Ron write a legal guarantee that would stand up 100% to PG Site services confirming their ownership of ex number of Housing properties at the new stadium to the value of £750k, if PG were interested in yet more club saving?

I don't see anything in the statement where the Supporters groups are suggesting fans continue the delay in purchase of their season card?

They have rightly said, here is the info we have squeezed out of Ron (& Tom), now it's down to the individual to decide whether they want to purchase a season card, based on this info, their own thoughts and personal circumstances. As for consequences, well Ron has made that quite clear in the first question hasn't he....those pesky fans not buying season cards...

All the fans and groups have done a great job in recent weeks (including those that have marched and protested) for putting the heat on and getting Ron to talk, let alone get him answering some decent questions for 2hrs. This has provided some good info for fans to digest and then perhaps make a decision regards season card purchase on the back of it.
Agree - so lets hope people renew. I suspect it would create too much inner turmoil to actually now encourage fans to renew, irrespective of how much the funds are needed...? As you say the groups have done a good job of getting the further information from Ron. So not sure further delaying renewal will drive any positive outcomes, only negative ones...

The club's pathetic attempt to put this on the supporters is a disgrace.

The same supporters who have carried the club with their support while Ron continually runs SUFC into the ground.

I don't particularly care if someone goes ahead and buys their ST anyway, but I definitely won't be now.

Agree - so lets hope people renew. I suspect it would create too much inner turmoil to actually now encourage fans to renew, irrespective of how much the funds are needed...? As you say the groups have done a good job of getting the further information from Ron. So not sure further delaying renewal will drive any positive outcomes, only negative ones...
Supporters' groups are in a bit of a catch-22 situation. The aim of the recommendation to delay the purchase of a season ticket, and the silent threat of a longer boycott, was to get some answers and some clarity. Regardless of whether anybody likes or believes the answers on a personal level, we got what we asked for. Some people will laugh at this considering RM's track record, but we can only really take much of what he says at face value.

On the other hand, I don't think it's unreasonable to stay neutral. What we heard might not have been enough for us to suddenly as a collective give an unreserved and glowing recommendation to buy a season ticket, but we could certainly present the questions and answers from the meeting and leave people to make their own decisions. Based on those answers, I would not surprised if some people double down on their reluctance to buy one, and neither would I be surprised if some feel guilty of depriving the club of the money and so decide to go ahead and buy one. Each to their own, there's no right or wrong answer. Judging by the majority of responses on here and on Twitter, I'd say that was the right call and most people seem to be doing just that - making up their own minds based on what we presented.

Supporters' groups are not the club's mouthpiece. If season card sales decrease next season then, for several different reasons, that is on the club and nobody else.

Serious question here -

If you are a Southend supporter, and the club is going through a hard financial time with the owner saying that they need the money to come out of the embargo, then why on earth would you NOT buy your season ticket (assuming that you were someone who would buy one usually)?

Now that Ron has come to the table and has put the club up for sale, what good does anyone think a continuing season ticket boycott will do?
Not suggesting boycotting but paying before the game. In essence the club gains in the long run as I pay more over the season. If the people who run the club blow the season ticket budget before its begun as proven time and time again they will be worse off.

The club's pathetic attempt to put this on the supporters is a disgrace.

The same supporters who have carried the club with their support while Ron continually runs SUFC into the ground.

I don't particularly care if someone goes ahead and buys their ST anyway, but I definitely won't be now.
I think the Supporter groups are trying to chart a very narrow course here. If they recommend a boycott and it doesn't bite, they might lose some of their mandate. But if they don't recommend a boycott, there is still every chance that you will be in an even deeper hole by the summer and some of you will be at risk of losing money. Giving you chapter and verse on the conversation, and telling you that they remain sceptical, seems a sensible middle course. I bet they all hate it though.

As I said last night, it is shameful that you are being put in this position by the club, who know exactly what they are doing. These problems are not of your making and in my view the club has forfeited any right it might have had to lean on your loyalty.

That said, I'm sure some of you will reluctantly cough up because you are scared of what might happen if you don't, and I for one would never blame anyone who did. Where you are now is not that much different from being a partner in an abusive relationship. You shouldn't be there, it is not your fault that you are, and it is high time that the National League did something to protect your interests.

Last edited:
Back