• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Echo News Southend United facing fight to keep striker Henry Sandat

It's just so depressing at the moment and just gets worse. Anyone who bought a season ticket must be wondering just what will be left of the club if the worst happens or we are left in embargo land for long period
We could at this rate be in Non League a very long time.
Just praying that behind the scenes someone can save us from the blight inflicted by the poison dwarf

Further correction

Ron doesn't own the player so the club will get the money, but it may mean Ron has to put less in

if the money goes into a SUFC bank account I think the chairman might take this opportunity to pay himself some expenses - or to pay off some "debt" (down to 38,900,000) or extract funds from the club as he has being doing for years while mugging off supporters with fairy tales ....

I mean there is no chance that honest Ron took a penny of the fees from Hopper, Hutchinson or Yearwood ... if he was ver offered a cash sweetener he always turned it down and funneled the money into his beloved SUFC and all the money from Bentley and Eastwood was spent renovatoing the toilets and buying onions for the burgers ....

I think I have run out of patience with the naive dreamers ....

We are in the national league with crowds of 8k - wakey wakey

if the money goes into a SUFC bank account I think the chairman might take this opportunity to pay himself some expenses - or to pay off some "debt" (down to 38,900,000) or extract funds from the club as he has being doing for years while mugging off supporters with fairy tales ....

I mean there is no chance that honest Ron took a penny of the fees from Hopper, Hutchinson or Yearwood ... if he was ver offered a cash sweetener he always turned it down and funneled the money into his beloved SUFC and all the money from Bentley and Eastwood was spent renovatoing the toilets and buying onions for the burgers ....

I think I have run out of patience with the naive dreamers ....

We are in the national league with crowds of 8k - wakey wakey
Look, I'm not one of those that is of the opinion that Ron hasn't taken anything out, so cut it with the "naïve dreamers" comment please.

The bloke is allowed to live. Over the years, he has certainly had some wages, remuneration, expenses, call it what you will. That is undeniable and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He was once the Chairman of a Championship club and that sort of status and responsibility doesn't come on a minimum wage deal. Do you expect him to work for the club for nothing? Serious question.

What is also undeniable is that the club owes him a lot of money. This is only the case because, over the years, he has put an awful lot of money (leveraged from his own once debt free assets like land, etc.) into the club to keep us afloat. Even if he hadn't - and I'll humour your viewpoint for the purpose of this part of the discussion - he is our landlord and has never received any rent. 25 years at average £350k per year (I have no idea - that's a guess) equates to nearly £9m. That is money that he has never received, so he is owed. The club has rarely made a profit and pretty much every year there is a shortfall, which he has had to put in. This is one of the reasons why, for years, we had Martin Dawn as sponsors as he took the view that he may as well get advertising for his brand out of the deal as he was spending so much keeping us afloat.

If you then look at the position before he took over, he would look at what he had then as to what he has now. Back then he had several pieces of land, probably all unencumbered (I don't know but presume they were as he mortgaged them later) and if he still had all of those then he would be worth considerably more than he is now.

None of that indicates he has bled the club dry as you seem to intimate.

Football is a grubby game with incidences of backhanders, sweeteners, bribery etc. right from the top to the bottom. To know more, read Barry Fry's autobiography, "The Big Fry" and a book called "Downfall of the House of FIFA". It doesn't mention Ron once and to my knowledge these are not charges or accusations that he has had to defend. I have no idea as to whether or not he has personally benefitted from a deal - it's a very dangerous accusation to make by the way, so be careful - but that is absolutely irrelevant to the argument in question.

So, if the club has this fantastic cashflow to the degree that there is sufficient surplus for Ron to milk it for all it's worth, how do you explain the fact that he currently has no money or mortgageable assets?

A

That would show a shocking lack of self belief.
Moving to an EFL club that are now very wealthy, could more than double what he’s earning here, guarantee getting paid on time each month and he won’t have to move home .

Plus with how much Gillingham are worth now, they could well be challenging for promotion next season.

Not sure that’s a lack of self belief in my eyes

Look, I'm not one of those that is of the opinion that Ron hasn't taken anything out, so cut it with the "naïve dreamers" comment please.

The bloke is allowed to live. Over the years, he has certainly had some wages, remuneration, expenses, call it what you will. That is undeniable and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that. He was once the Chairman of a Championship club and that sort of status and responsibility doesn't come on a minimum wage deal. Do you expect him to work for the club for nothing? Serious question.

What is also undeniable is that the club owes him a lot of money. This is only the case because, over the years, he has put an awful lot of money (leveraged from his own once debt free assets like land, etc.) into the club to keep us afloat. Even if he hadn't - and I'll humour your viewpoint for the purpose of this part of the discussion - he is our landlord and has never received any rent. 25 years at average £350k per year (I have no idea - that's a guess) equates to nearly £9m. That is money that he has never received, so he is owed. The club has rarely made a profit and pretty much every year there is a shortfall, which he has had to put in. This is one of the reasons why, for years, we had Martin Dawn as sponsors as he took the view that he may as well get advertising for his brand out of the deal as he was spending so much keeping us afloat.

If you then look at the position before he took over, he would look at what he had then as to what he has now. Back then he had several pieces of land, probably all unencumbered (I don't know but presume they were as he mortgaged them later) and if he still had all of those then he would be worth considerably more than he is now.

Football is a grubby game with incidences of backhanders, sweeteners, bribery etc. right from the top to the bottom. To know more, read Barry Fry's autobiography, "The Big Fry" and a book called "Downfall of the House of FIFA". It doesn't mention Ron once and to my knowledge these are not charges or accusations that he has had to defend. I have no idea as to whether or not he has personally benefitted from a deal - it's a very dangerous accusation to make by the way, so be careful - but that is absolutely irrelevant to the argument in question.

So, if the club has this fantastic cashflow to the degree that there is sufficient surplus for Ron to milk it for all it's worth, how do you explain the fact that he currently has no money or mortgageable assets?
A good, balanced viewpoint and well made. However, all those well considered words will be wasted on people like Rayleigh Boy, who have extremely blinkered views and refuse to listen to reason and even ignore facts.

What is also undeniable is that the club owes him a lot of money. This is only the case because, over the years, he has put an awful lot of money (leveraged from his own once debt free assets like land, etc.) into the club to keep us afloat. .

Really ??

I don't agree at all - I think SUFC and Tilsonsfantastic ability subsidised a man out of his depth ..

Really ??

Some land bought on credit.. ummm..

We are in the land of the Dorking Wanderers ... average gates 6 k -
2019 accounts 7 million turnover .. what else has he done ???

Ft's a very dangerous accusation to make by the way, so be careful -

Hahahahaaha - true - look at what happened to the documentary BUT at the same time this board hosted a lot of defamatory comments (legal term) about a former manager and somehow got away with it ... the stuff posted then could easily have cost the owner of this board his house.. .. yes I did warn him.

He is crap at business and moving 300 k pa out of the club to support his family and lifestyle is not enough to make a business out of ..

As you say I don't resent him taking a good wage - 300-400k pa when you are paying players/managers good money seems reasonable - I don't resent him trying to build FF and bring off a substantial development

what I do resent is the lies and smoke screens and manipulating the supporters and slaughtering playing budgets because he needed the cash ...

and because his failures have got us in the National League playing Boreham Wood - average gate 910 - on a good day.

Its a results game - players get dropped, managers get sacked - Ron Martin is an utter failure - the sooner he is gone the better.

By the way I am owed 76 million

Really ??

I don't agree at all - I think SUFC and Tilsonsfantastic ability subsidised a man out of his depth ..

Really ??

Some land bought on credit.. ummm..

Hahahahaaha - true - look at what happened to the documentary BUT at the same time this board hosted a lot of defamatory comments (legal term) about a former manager and somehow got away with it ... the stuff posted then could easily have cost the owner of this board his house.. .. yes I did warn him.

He is crap at business and moving 300 k pa out of the club to support his family and lifestyle is not enough to make a business out of ..

As you say I don't resent him taking a good wage - 300-400k pa when you are paying players/managers good money seems reasonable - I don't resent him trying to build FF and bring off a substantial development

what I do resent is the lies and smoke screens and manipulating the supporters and slaughtering playing budgets because he needed the cash ...

and because his failures have got us in the National League playing Boreham Wood - average gate 910 - on a good day.

Its a results game - players get dropped, managers get sacked - Ron Martin is an utter failure - the sooner he is gone the better.

By the way I am owed 76 million
:ROFL: :Headbang:

Well, for one thing (which gets us nicely back on topic) he invested heavily into the academy, which has been the mechanism to produce the youngsters like Sandat who hopefully we will make some money from.

The last 3/4 seasons have been the worst in our history, granted. But there were some fantastic seasons earlier on (you mentioned Tilson who did brilliantly with us but dreadfully at Lincoln) and you can't just airbrush those achievements out of the history books.

If Ron is to blame for everything that is going wrong now, then he must also be given credit for all the good things that have happened over the last 25 years. Blimey, there have even been some good things that have happened in the last season and a half (the appointment of TL, the management team, training ground being built). If you say he has nothing to do with the good and everything to do with the bad, you are pretty much defeated by the hypocrisy of your own argument.

Fear not, I’m still around
Pleased, cos now i'm like a father of a vet's player, instead of being able to play vet's 😄
Put me in a static central role, "floating" around the hole behind the strikers and i'm sure i could still get more goals than Miley in a season 😉 roll on the bus pass

Back