• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Gary Hooper

Mercenary? Seems a clever financial last move to me, he doesnt owe anything to the sport. What should he do, take a good honest low paying job in am l2 team? Id argue you would do the same in his position.

Mercenary? Seems a clever financial last move to me, he doesnt owe anything to the sport. What should he do, take a good honest low paying job in am l2 team? Id argue you would do the same in his position.

Totally agree with this. I wonder what world some people must live in for not understanding this kind of move.

He’s still only 32, a season or two out there and he could come back and still do a job in England. The lad has played and scored in all of the top English leagues, competitions and Scotland and the Europa League and Champions League. I don’t fault the guy for wanting to set up his family for life! Football is a short career and if he doesn’t have a smart head and have a plan after then he will need as much money as possible.

He’s still only 32, a season or two out there and he could come back and still do a job in England. The lad has played and scored in all of the top English leagues, competitions and Scotland and the Europa League and Champions League. I don’t fault the guy for wanting to set up his family for life! Football is a short career and if he doesn’t have a smart head and have a plan after then he will need as much money as possible.
Resigned for Wellington Phoenix

Being a bored and unemployed sub editor, I actually checked to see whether resigned (the latter version you mention) remains hyphenated in all cases because the Office English dictionary is gradually removing hyphens. Seems not at the moment...

Being a bored and unemployed sub editor, I actually checked to see whether resigned (the latter version you mention) remains hyphenated in all cases because the Office English dictionary is gradually removing hyphens. Seems not at the moment...
I’d still quite like to know whether Gary Hooper has left or agreed to go back to (or agreed to stay longer at ) Wellington Phoenix.

Jesus! That’s a statement, will either be an excellent signing or a massive flop

Jesus! That’s a statement, will either be an excellent signing or a massive flop
Thanks Phil.

He played for us nearly 20 years ago and has just been playing in NZ and Cyprus. He might get a few goals off the bench and be good depth but i wouldn’t expect him to be a mainstay.

Barnet are collecting quite the stable of former Shrimpers: Hooper from the 2000s, Ben Coker from the mid 2010s, Sam Barrett from the late 2010s, Zac Brunt from the early 2020s. I think they now outnumber the number of ex-Barnet players we have.

Back