• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Italy

I've been critical of Southgate on here when it comes to big games in major tournaments but you certainly can't fault his record in qualifying. Thought we were a bit slow to get going last night and Italy were well organised. Lots of the usual passing it around the defence, but once we moved through the gears we were unstoppable at times. Kane led the line superbly, Bellingham just gets better and better and Rashford was impressive too given he's been in poor form for his club. That line-up's probably not far off the first-choice XI at the moment, although I think Maguire and Phillips need to get January moves if they're going to stay in the team.

I think France deserve to be the Favourites at present, they have a big match temperament,all being well and injuries dont impede ,i think a France v England final could very well be on the cards next year
As for players in the world class bracket ,i would definitely add Foden, GS gets the defence andleft back position sorted and who knows how far England can go .

I've been critical of Southgate on here when it comes to big games in major tournaments but you certainly can't fault his record in qualifying. Thought we were a bit slow to get going last night and Italy were well organised. Lots of the usual passing it around the defence, but once we moved through the gears we were unstoppable at times. Kane led the line superbly, Bellingham just gets better and better and Rashford was impressive too given he's been in poor form for his club. That line-up's probably not far off the first-choice XI at the moment, although I think Maguire and Phillips need to get January moves if they're going to stay in the team.
Unfortunately you can fault his record in terms of actually winning a tournament.

Nothing wrong with Southgate's tactics, we were just very unlucky at the penalties stage. It's so fashionable to slag off Southgate, so maybe judge him next time round on how we do in Germany, as that is where it will count. I can't take Barna's opinions too seriously as he's lived aboard for so long that he's gone native.

Nothing wrong with Southgate's tactics, we were just very unlucky at the penalties stage. It's so fashionable to slag off Southgate, so maybe judge him next time round on how we do in Germany, as that is where it will count. I can't take Barna's opinions too seriously as he's lived aboard for so long that he's gone native.
🤣🤣 light hearted and funny, more of this across the zone folks.👍

It’s funny how these days everything is all or nothing. As in.. ‘Southgate is rubbish’ or ‘Southgate is great’, no in between. It’s like you’re not able to level any criticism whatsoever. I don’t think he’s rubbish or great, as is my right.

Italy final I think having been 1-0 up so early, we should’ve won. But that’s just my personal opinion. England have always qualified comfortably for major tournaments under GS but haven’t quite delivered when it really mattered. Hopefully they will next time. He’ll be gone after that regardless I reckon.

It’s funny how these days everything is all or nothing. As in.. ‘Southgate is rubbish’ or ‘Southgate is great’, no in between. It’s like you’re not able to level any criticism whatsoever. I don’t think he’s rubbish or great, as is my right.

Italy final I think having been 1-0 up so early, we should’ve won. But that’s just my personal opinion. England have always qualified comfortably for major tournaments under GS but haven’t quite delivered when it really mattered. Hopefully they will next time. He’ll be gone after that regardless I reckon.
I'm not a great fan of Southgate and I wish he would make better use of the attacking flair that we have available, but I can't really argue with the results. Capello and Hodgson had plenty of decent players available to them and both ****ed up royally.

But we weren’t favourites entering that tournament. We were definitely one of 3/4 teams that were being spoken of as potential winners, but to say he should have won it is revisionist.
Feel free to disagree but you're wrong. :Winking: (Think you asked me to name a tournament that GS should have won .I did).

Last edited:

Someone on here last week compared GS to Sir Alf.At least Sir Alf won something.

The day you see me taking Catalan independene seriously is the day you can say I've gone native .Not before, :Smile:

Last edited:
I'm not a great fan of Southgate and I wish he would make better use of the attacking flair that we have available, but I can't really argue with the results. Capello and Hodgson had plenty of decent players available to them and both ****ed up royally.
Agreed. Sven was probably the guiltiest of that era as he had a near flawless golden generation to pick from, only to mess around with tactics like playing Lampard and Gerrard together and Scholes on the left.

If GS had the luxury of G Neville, Ferdinand, Terry and Cole in his back four rather than Walker, Stones, Maguire and Shaw I’m pretty sure we’d be hot favourites in the Euros.
Someone on here last week compared GS to Sir Alf.At least Sir Alf won something.
I mentioned Alf in the context of being the only manager with a better record at international level. Not a direct comparison.

Remember the NAT:LEAGUE finals, when England were favourites, first game (S/F) v Holland,went one up, then the same old story lost 3-1.
Then the same old thing...Holland are a good up and coming team ?,we dont care about the Nat lge,etc,... But GS said he said/wrote he wanted to win it and its(NL) is better than friendlies .
I hope and pray England will win next years Euros,but IMO we wont .Then the usual excuses will come out...injuries,bad luck,ref etc...or the best two...we will learn from this OR in TWO years time we WILL win it...the same old stuff since 1970.
When GS goes in the summer as expected,we will know better how good/bad he was/is,two years later with Englands new manager.
Also when GS gets a league job,different from being Englands manager but we will see what he does and i wish him well

In your opinion Barna, one that doesn’t appear to be widely shared (or borne out by anything factual that’s been mentioned so far). It’s just your opinion. Fair enough, you’re equally entitled to it as EastStandBlue and everyone else.
The only fact that matters is that GS hasn't won anything as England's manager and he won't win anything in Germany either (The latter comment IS an opinion the first is a fact ,however).

Thought France showed why they're most people's favourites (including mine) to win the Euros earlier.

Like him or not (personally I'm indifferent) it seems you can't keep Ronaldo down.Don't expect Portugal to remain top of the group too much longer though. :Winking:

FWIW I'd agree with YB that Italy are the best team in the tournament However I've got a sneaking suspicion after last night's excellent game that England will beat them.First time I've felt this way since 1966.Credit to you spotting that England had the easier route to the final if they beat Germany.

So France were your own pre- and mid-tournament favourites, and Italy were the best team at the tournament, but Southgate should have won it?

What chance does the man have.

Back