• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Italy

If, IF, England are to finally win this competition then next year will be as good a time as there has ever been.
Germany, Spain, Belgium, Dutch, Italy are not as good as they were in the last few years and the French are hot/cold.
I would like to see what bookies think on the odds as they aren't usually too wide of the mark.
And @Tangled up in Blue who do you have as likely winners then?
....any team but England I would imagine.

Nah, I'm pre-empting Tangled's answer.
And again you surprise me, I am thinking an answer will not be forthcoming once he starts saying up the options.
Usually the Euros are stronger than the WCup but at this moment I don't think that is the case.
And, as France found out in the egg chasing, the luck of the draw plays a big role.

The biggest problem there is CB,that come the end of that season,England will have players injured,worn out as we normally do.
Maybe Bellingham & Kane wont be coz they play in leagues where normally players are not so worn out/knackered.
Winter break, less games could help us, but the Prem league is ONLY about money and the FA are to weak /gutless to take them on

Thought this was the best England performance in a long time. Played with a good pace. Still some room for improvement, and France are the team to beat, but definitely a promising performance. Italy on the other hand look absolutely abject apart from a bright start, and no wonder they're struggling to qualify.

Bellingham is absolutely incredible, for just 20 years old. What a player.

If, IF, England are to finally win this competition then next year will be as good a time as there has ever been.
Germany, Spain, Belgium, Dutch, Italy are not as good as they were in the last few years and the French are hot/cold.
I would like to see what bookies think on the odds as they aren't usually too wide of the mark.

And @[B]Tangled up in Blue who do you have as likely winners then?[/B]

3 of the teamds you mention,srarting with Germany & France and as an outside bet (though I think they'll have a better chance in the next WC) Spain.

Agree with you about the bookies FWIW.

Last edited:
Betfair have England as favourites

England
France
Germany
Spain
Portugal
Italy

Last match v other favourites

v France - lost
v Germany - draw
v Spain - Eng win
v Portugal - Eng win
v Italy - Eng win

So England are one missed penalty away from being unbeaten v all the other favourites last time out.

It's between England and France with Germany as a decent outside chance purely from home advantage. Any team that loses to the Jocks (Spain) disqualifies themselves from serious consideration.

Betfair have England as favourites

England
France
Germany
Spain
Portugal
Italy

Last match v other favourites

v France - lost
v Germany - draw
v Spain - Eng win
v Portugal - Eng win
v Italy - Eng win

So England are one missed penalty away from being unbeaten v all the other favourites last time out.
Thought France won their last match a 4-1 victory over Sotland last night.

Saying a team won't win a tournament just isn't the clever take some people think it is.

Euro 2024 is the first tournament England are favourites for in a long time (ever?), and it's still an 80% chance that they will not win it.

I think we as England fans have been conditioned to underestimate our team as a result of a 'British' media that glorifies the minor achievements of the other 'home' nations (and the Republic of Ireland for some bizarre reason) and which seems to be gleeful whenever the nation that represents the vast majority of its consumers stumbles. We have also been through our share of disappointments, and as with Southend, we condition ourselves to fear the worst. That said, most reasonable people can see that England have a deep group of very good players and a few genuine world beaters - probably more than any other team in the world at the moment. It takes a particular brand of contrarianism and contempt for one's own nation for any Englishman not to see that.

If England go to Germany next summer with anything like an injury-free squad, I can certainly understand why we’d be favoured ahead of France given Bellingham’s emergence. On current form/stature, he gives the side a dynamism and a spark going forward that they lacked last winter, and something to build the rest of the attacking quartet around. There seemed much more balance last night within that 4 - Bellingham stole the show, but Foden was exceptional in operating between lines and keeping possession there.

If England go to Germany next summer with anything like an injury-free squad, I can certainly understand why we’d be favoured ahead of France given Bellingham’s emergence. On current form/stature, he gives the side a dynamism and a spark going forward that they lacked last winter, and something to build the rest of the attacking quartet around. There seemed much more balance last night within that 4 - Bellingham stole the show, but Foden was exceptional in operating between lines and keeping possession there.
Absolutely this. I was impressed with Foden too - especially that lovely threaded ball that set off Bellingham ahead of his great work for the second goal. I was pleased for Rashford to finish the way he did for that goal. Kane seems to have a new lease of life since his move (and playing with Bellingham and Foden) too.

Back