• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Italy

Agreed. Sven was probably the guiltiest of that era as he had a near flawless golden generation to pick from, only to mess around with tactics like playing Lampard and Gerrard together and Scholes on the left.

If GS had the luxury of G Neville, Ferdinand, Terry and Cole in his back four rather than Walker, Stones, Maguire and Shaw I’m pretty sure we’d be hot favourites in the Euros.

I mentioned Alf in the context of being the only manager with a better record at international level. Not a direct comparison.
What a player Ashley Cole was.

For all the talk of the golden generation and the midfield I felt that era’s strength was the defence.

Other central defensive options include Sol Campbell (very good international player, even if not manager) and Ledley King - all of whom would probably strengthen the current England defence.

The only fact that matters is that GS hasn't won anything as England's manager and he won't win anything in Germany either (The latter comment IS an opinion the first is a fact ,however).
The first part is actually ‘the only fact that matters’, and that too is an opinion.

Crack on though Barna, as you will anyway irrespective of feedback or others opinions.

A tenner says IM right (loser pays SZ at the end of the euros).Interested?

NB A minority opinion is not necessarily wrong . :Winking:
NB I never said it was, and I said you’re entitled to your opinion. Just don’t dress it up as fact, when it isn’t.

No thanks, I’ll leave the bet on your prediction we won’t win the Euros. I’m not really a betting person, and besides of course that may well happen. We may also win it, and despite not being a betting person I’d love it à la Kevin Keegan if we did.

NB I never said it was, and I said you’re entitled to your opinion. Just don’t dress it up as fact, when it isn’t.

No thanks, I’ll leave the bet on your prediction we won’t win the Euros. I’m not really a betting person, and besides of course that may well happen. We may also win it, and despite not being a betting person I’d love it à la Kevin Keegan if we did.
FYI I do know the difference between a fact and an opinion (as an Ex -TEFL Teacher I certainly should).

I'm not really a betting person either which is why I offered what I see as fun bet.Would also be happy to be proved wrong.

luxury of G Neville, Ferdinand, Terry and Cole in his back four rather than Walker, Stones, Maguire and Shaw I’m pretty sure we’d be hot favourites in the Euros.

I mentioned Alf in the context of being the only manager with a better record at international level. Not a direct comparison.
Rather we had defenders of the calibre of Adams, Keogh, Bould, Pearce and Powell than either those you mention or those we have now, although Stones and Walker would make most defensive squads thru England history imo.

And @Tangled up in Blue or @ozzie @Kris if not GS who to be manager?
And don't name those like the NUFC chap who have already said "No".

Rather we had defenders of the calibre of Adams, Keogh, Bould, Pearce and Powell than either those you mention or those we have now, although Stones and Walker would make most defensive squads thru England history imo.

MG already answered that one.Has to be Ernie Howe for me.Would have thought he''s nailed on to be GS 's replacement anyway

If we can’t get Howe - and as I said, I doubt he would want the job - there’s no obvious plan B. Who are the alternatives? Graham Potter would be a reluctant second choice. After him you are looking at Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney and youth coaches like Lee Carsley and Aidy Hoofroyd.

Obviously we could look abroad too but I can’t think of anyone who would quit club football for international football.

As long as GS wants to stay manager I’m fine with that for the time being. He’s done a fantastic job. We’ve gone from losing to Iceland with a squad who didn’t really care to one that has restored a connection with fans.

If there is genuinely a better candidate out there who wants the job then great but I can’t see one yet. Be careful what you wish for, etc.

Lee Carsley has already been mentioned for the job, doing well with the under 21 s etc , also wasnt GS a youth coach before he took the reigns of the senior squad . Carsley would have a very good knowledge of the young players coming through the system also .

Lee Carsley has already been mentioned for the job, doing well with the under 21 s etc , also wasnt GS a youth coach before he took the reigns of the senior squad . Carsley would have a very good knowledge of the young players coming through the system also .
Spain have certainly suceedec witha new manager who didn't have any senior club management experiece but had run the Spanish under 21 team )and been successful) It's an open question as to wheher or not that would work wih regard to the England set up I imagine,

Spain have certainly suceedec witha new manager who didn't have any senior club management experiece but had run the Spanish under 21 team )and been successful) It's an open question as to wheher or not that would work wih regard to the England set up I imagine,
I maybe wrong but i believe GS was England u21 coach before he took the senior England managers job .

Seem to remember that too.Remind me who he managed in club managrmrnt again?

Villa % Boro wasn't it?
living where i live i wouldnt know who he coached before that . i just thought he coached England u21s prior to the senior management position, i know of very few managers of English teams to be honest , Liverpool N ewcastle , Spurs ,Arenal and the two Manchester teams thats all. Dont get much premiershite news where i am .I forgot and Southends also .

living where i live i wouldnt know who he coached before that . i just thought he coached England u21s prior to the senior management position, i know of very few managers of English teams to be honest , Liverpool N ewcastle , Spurs ,Arenal and the two Manchester teams thats all. Dont get much premiershite news where i am .I forgot and Southends also .
MOTtD and Football Focus are available in Spain.

Back