• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

England v Italy

Much better play from England.
Kane, Bellingham, Foden all would make the starting line ups for any nation and Rashford would be in majority.
Southgate's leadership may not be exciting but there is no " bus throwing".

We struggled for a long time to get results against those sorts of sides. Don’t agree with everything Southgate does but he’s doing what so many England sides have failed to do in the past!

Only one I’d have selected differently tonight is Maguire, do think Phillips would be the player who would start if he wasn’t playing for City, really hope he takes a move in January!

If we can sort the left back spot we’ll have a good shot at the Euros!

Only one I’d have selected differently tonight is Maguire, do think Phillips would be the player who would start if he wasn’t playing for City, really hope he takes a move in January!
Phillips was already in the Starting XI, he isn't a CB though (he's a midfielder) so he wouldn't be competing with Maguire. Dunk or Guehi are the natural replacements for Maguire.

To be fair to Maguire though, whilst he doesn't fit Manchester United's system at all he rarely puts a foot wrong for England so I can see why Southgate keeps faith in him despite many groaning whenever he's on the teamsheet.

I hope this is the last we see of Henderson though. I think he's been an underrated player for us but you can't sell out to a crap league and expect to keep your place in the squad, he's only going to get worse the longer he trains in Saudi. Messi and Ronaldo might be able to get away with it but Henderson has never been on their level.

Phillips was already in the Starting XI, he isn't a CB though (he's a midfielder) so he wouldn't be competing with Maguire. Dunk or Guehi are the natural replacements for Maguire.

To be fair to Maguire though, whilst he doesn't fit Manchester United's system at all he rarely puts a foot wrong for England so I can see why Southgate keeps faith in him despite many groaning whenever he's on the teamsheet.

I hope this is the last we see of Henderson though. I think he's been an underrated player for us but you can't sell out to a crap league and expect to keep your place in the squad, he's only going to get worse the longer he trains in Saudi. Messi and Ronaldo might be able to get away with it but Henderson has never been on their level.

Just to be clear I wasn’t saying Phillips was a centre back, I just meant out of the players who are up for debate he’d be one Id stick with! Agree on Maguire for England, has been solid but Guehi and Dunk have been great when they’ve played. I like Henderson in the squad but he shouldn’t start. Ideal person to have around the camp considering not all of the squad of 23 will play in a tournament anyway.

FWIW thought the first half performance was much better than Friday's.Once the pen.went in (and we'd effectively qualified) at HT I switched over to BBC! To watch Episode 4 of The Reckoning

Expected England to qualify from this group,as they should for the next World cup and Euro 28..
But also expected them to come second (Italy first).
When Italy scored first,thought the best we could get was a draw...but was wrong again
So im now on a hattrick and tip England will underperform next summer.....but TBH,dont think they will win it,just hope we get the luck of the draw and we do well,
Well done GS & England yesterday...

Expected England to qualify from this group,as they should for the next World cup and Euro 28..
But also expected them to come second (Italy first).
When Italy scored first,thought the best we could get was a draw...but was wrong again
So im now on a hattrick and tip England will underperform next summer.....but TBH,dont think they will win it,just hope we get the luck of the draw and we do well,
Well done GS & England yesterday...
FWIW;think you're on the money for your final 2 predictions Ozzie. :Winking:

Yeah but they're never going to win it, ask @Tangled up in Blue

Beating Italy home and away is nothing these days.
Hey I have been known to be wrong you know (but doubt if i will be here).Lighten up. :Winking:

ON your substantive point Clearly Italy aren't what they were since Mancini left.But that doesn't detract from the fact that England yesterday achieved a good result and a good level of performance.How far they woill be able to go in Germany remains to be seen,however.

Hey I have been known to be wrong you know (but doubt if i will be here).Lighten up. :Winking:

ON your substantive point Clearly Italy aren't what they were since Mancini left.But that doesn't detract from the fact that England yesterday achieved a good result and a good level of performance.How far they woill be able to go in Germany remains to be seen,however.
Imo there wasn't a single Italy player I would put as better than the England player for any given position among the outfield teams.

Imo there wasn't a single Italy player I would put as better than the England player for any given position among the outfield teams.
(As I said) since Mancini left Italy clearly aren't the same team.The same could be said for Spain too I suppose,who've also thrown out a lot of the old guard nsince Qatar but in their case with much better results (and already) qualification for Germany ,.

They may as well engrave England’s name on the trophy now!
If, IF, England are to finally win this competition then next year will be as good a time as there has ever been.
Germany, Spain, Belgium, Dutch, Italy are not as good as they were in the last few years and the French are hot/cold.
I would like to see what bookies think on the odds as they aren't usually too wide of the mark.
And @Tangled up in Blue who do you have as likely winners then?

Back