• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 0-1 York City

Oxford City game looks like must win game. I do fear if we don't get positive result there then pressure will mount on maher which is harsh considering what he had to put up with. Forget about playing pretty football now, its all about results.

Oxford City game looks like must win game. I do fear if we don't get positive result there then pressure will mount on maher which is harsh considering what he had to put up with. Forget about playing pretty football now, its all about results.
I'm not sure it was that pretty in the recent past, just luckier and maybe more determined.
I genuinely don't think we did anything much different against York than in some of our wins, but clearly one or two are off form.

Reactions: GBJ
I'm not sure it was that pretty in the recent past, just luckier and maybe more determined.
I genuinely don't think we did anything much different against York than in some of our wins, but clearly one or two are off form.
We just need to win now however that happens.

Early days of the rut but I would see what Kev comes up with next week? If it’s the Jack Bridge show again then it proves he is bereft of any new ideas and I would swap him around in the pecking order with Currie.
Player for player except the keeper we should be matching, beating all these non League, part time outfits.
Shrimpet! Welcome back. We've missed you. I was starting to think you'd become a victim of your own taxi service and been driven somewhere grim in the Manchester outer suburbs.

A few observations on yesterday. Firstly, off the pitch, I had the role of host on behalf of the Shrimpers Trust for our colleagues at the York City Supporters Trust; this was a really important thing for us to do as a thank-you for everything they did to raise money for our Hardship Fund last year. Justin Rees and Tom Lawrence also visited the Blue Boar before the game, and Tom also popped into the box, so many thanks to them for that, another example of the club beginning to do things the right way and recognising these types of things.

It was nice to hear the round of applause from both sets of supporters when our message was read over the public address system before kick-off, and showed that, although football is very tribal, especially during the 90 minutes, there’s a lot of mutual respect and appreciation amongst lower league and non-league supporters in particular.

As a result, I was watching the match in a more sanitised position in one of the boxes at Roots Hall rather than being amongst supporters, and with members of the YCST, so I probably gained a slightly different perspective on the game. The folks from the YCST were complimentary about how played, enjoyed the match (even before their late winner) and thought we possibly shaded it overall, although a draw would’ve been a fair result. They did identify that goalscoring is our major issue.

For me, there are a couple of key aspects that have contributed to a couple of disappointing home results. One is confidence. We lost momentum after the wins over Halifax and Eastleigh with the postponements, then lost at Chesterfield, so by the time Gateshead came around, we hadn’t won in a significant period of time. You can’t just switch confidence on and off, and it’s one reason why scoring the first goal at the moment is so crucial.

Harry Cardwell is a prime example of this. The chance he had in the first half against Gateshead, if he’d had that three months ago before his injury, he’d’ve taken because he was in form, scoring goals and sharp. At the moment, he’s not sharp, he hasn’t scored for a long spell and therefore he doesn’t take that chance.

But there are too many players at the moment playing without confidence that it has an impact on performances and results. So if we don’t take the few opportunities that arrive, they are amplified because there are fewer chances created. And that is magnified because, when you lack confidence, you don’t take a risk on making a run, or playing a more incisive pass, because you are fearful that if won’t work, and as a consequence you’re more likely to play a safe pass, or hold your position.

What Kev and the coaching staff will be focussing on is making sure players are in the correct mindset when they take to the field next Saturday, so I don’t expect wholesale changes, given that many of these players have proven they can perform very well at this level, and there are still limitations in terms of squad numbers anyway. It will just take one moment where Bridge beats his man, or Gus gambles at the back post, or one goes in off Cardwell’s backside and we’ll be back in business.

The one thing they may look to change is the balance of the team. Formations are fluid, but last weekend the balance up front wasn’t quite right with Cardwell and Dackers, who are fairly similar forwards; that was addressed, but at the expense of balance in midfield, where Miley, Morton and Husin don’t complement each other enough or provide enough attacking thrust.

Miley and Morton as a double-pivot in front of the back three might work against leading sides away from home, but it’s always likely to draw criticism at home where there’s more emphasis on being creative. Ideally at home, Miley or Morton play as that pivot, Husin or Coker in front of them to provide energy and passing through the thirds, then Fonguck or Wood, or possibly Sandat, in the role behind the forwards, linking the midfield to the front line. Shifting Husin further forwards to replace Fonguck negates his attributes, and doesn’t solve the problem of two midfielders who prefer to pick the ball up from deep and build play from there; either the midfield loses control as it’s over-stretched or the player in the advanced role is forced back and the forwards are isolated.

Miley would ordinarily be the first name on my teamsheet, so if Morton is as good as we hope, that will be a tough decision for Kev moving forwards, at home at least, in order to achieve the correct balance.

As for our league position, I can understand the anxiety. The ten-point deduction cannot be ignored; we would be in a completely different position with those ten points and it would mean we’d now be concerned that we were going to miss out on the play-offs, rather than dropping to the sixth tier. It does, however, mean that there will be a focussing of minds. There is more than enough ability in the squad, and they still have something to play for this season, which is to get enough points to mean we are launching a promotion push back into the league, and not the National League, next season. That’s something our friends at York, unfortunately, know all too much about. A win next weekend against a shell-shocked Oxford City would go a long way to rebuilding confidence not just amongst the fanbase, but amongst the squad.

Cav frustrated me a few times today. There were times he got the ball, had space in front of him to drive into, but would take 2 steps forward then pass it sideways.

Last 2 games we just don't seem to be putting teams under constant pressure, which you should be doing at home.
We do lack an attacking central midfield player who is going to drive into the box and get beyond the forwards. One twos on the edge of the box to create chances. We are too pre occupied with always going to the wings for crosses, which has made us predictably. We have good enough players on the ball to mix it up a bit. Again this come back to decision making and seeing the best way to exploit the space. We still lack genuine pace to scare defenders.

Last edited:
Think we all need to take a deep breath. This isn’t a bad team. The players aren’t ****, we’ve just hit a bit of a wall and that can happen. We are probably one win away from going on a good run again. With out the -10 we’d be just outside the playoffs. This isn’t a team that has only gained 34 points. I like the three new recruits and they have fitted in well but let’s not underestimate what this group have been through this season. They must be physically and mentally knackered and need to find something. I think the the Barnet losses hit us hard and as well as we played at time against Chesterfield we never came close really scoring

Yesterday and again last week we easily could have got three points just luck has gone against us. I would like to see our pattern of play and even formation maybe change to try something different and with a full squad we should be able to do that.

So yes we are in a relegation battle but win our games in hand we will be as close to playoffs as we would to the bottom 4

As always Kev and the lads need us to do our bit. As frustrating as it is let’s not panic and now decide this squad is **** because it really isn’t

Players sign new 2 and half year contracts and the form dips!! Interesting !!
A couple of others factor. The team has lost some confidence with recent defeats, and the play offs have definitely gone now, which wasn't the case at the start of the year.

We need to refocus on getting to 52 points pronto, as once we go Sat / Tues bad runs can escalate quickly and before you know it the games start to run out on you.

Some massive overreactions on here.

A few months back, everyone involved was a hero, they all deserved statues and we said that they were probably one of the best collectives we’ve ever had.

Three losses later (two of them close, one against the runaway leaders) and suddenly the same management team are clueless, the recruitment is a waste of time and specific individuals need to be banished.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. They’re a good bunch, who haven’t performed that great recently. There’s plenty of work to be done still, and I’m sure it will be. Anyone who believed that the lifting of the embargo would turn us into world beaters overnight, simply expected too much.
The one thing I can’t wrap my head around in this thread, is the amount of contradiction from yesterdays game. There’s a mythical claim that we didn’t/can’t create anything? I recall - off the top of my head - Cardwell free header, Ralph’s deflected shot, Ralph’s tame shot, Crowther free header, Crowther’s square ball, Dackers hitting the post. All decent goal scoring opportunities. Had we taken just one or two of them, it would have been a different game.

Yes, sometimes it’s slow and ponderous. But I can think back to when we were winning games, and that still happened. Just read through some of the old PMT’s and you’ll see comments about Bridge delaying crosses, Noor not getting forward, Colin making mistakes. The only difference is, we were coming away with three points, so these instances weren’t that disastrous. Lose three games & were suddenly the worst team in the world again?

The one thing I think needs addressing/questioning, is why we have lost our high tempo press when opposing teams have possession.

We are clearly in a relegation battle now, although unlike the others in that same battle, we aren’t down here because we haven’t earned enough points. We’re down here because we had 10 points unfairly taken from us. We’re a solid midtable team. That means we’ll go on little runs where we lose 3 on the bounce. But it also means we’ll win 3-4 on the bounce too.

Minds need to be focussed, sure. Work needs to be done on and off the pitch, still. But it’s not panic time. Not yet.

We do lack an attacking central midfield player who is going to drive into the box and get beyond the forwards. One twos on the edge of the box to create chances. We are too pre occupied with always going to the wings for crosses, which has made us predictably. We have good enough players on the ball to mix it up a bit. Again this come back to decision making and seeing the best way to exploit the space. We still lack genuine pace too scare defenders.
I politely disagree with this. Jack Wood is on the bench every week and can dribble and score goals.

Some massive overreactions on here.

A few months back, everyone involved was a hero, they all deserved statues and we said that they were probably one of the best collectives we’ve ever had.

Three losses later (two of them close, one against the runaway leaders) and suddenly the same management team are clueless, the recruitment is a waste of time and specific individuals need to be banished.

The truth is somewhere in the middle. They’re a good bunch, who haven’t performed that great recently. There’s plenty of work to be done still, and I’m sure it will be. Anyone who believed that the lifting of the embargo would turn us into world beaters overnight, simply expected too much.
The one thing I can’t wrap my head around in this thread, is the amount of contradiction from yesterdays game. There’s a mythical claim that we didn’t/can’t create anything? I recall - off the top of my head - Cardwell free header, Ralph’s deflected shot, Ralph’s tame shot, Crowther free header, Crowther’s square ball, Dackers hitting the post. All decent goal scoring opportunities. Had we taken just one or two of them, it would have been a different game.

Yes, sometimes it’s slow and ponderous. But I can think back to when we were winning games, and that still happened. Just read through some of the old PMT’s and you’ll see comments about Bridge delaying crosses, Noor not getting forward, Colin making mistakes. The only difference is, we were coming away with three points, so these instances weren’t that disastrous. Lose three games & were suddenly the worst team in the world again?

The one thing I think needs addressing/questioning, is why we have lost our high tempo press when opposing teams have possession.

We are clearly in a relegation battle now, although unlike the others in that same battle, we aren’t down here because we haven’t earned enough points. We’re down here because we had 10 points unfairly taken from us. We’re a solid midtable team. That means we’ll go on little runs where we lose 3 on the bounce. But it also means we’ll win 3-4 on the bounce too.

Minds need to be focussed, sure. Work needs to be done on and off the pitch, still. But it’s not panic time. Not yet.
point 1 a lot of our fans think York came for a draw , If you look at the first two mins of the highlights, they hit the post and Colin made a good save and we were on the back foot

Point 2 Callum Powell

Good post

I politely disagree with this. Jack Wood is on the bench every week and can dribble and score goals.
Agree with you about Jack Wood, I would also add that Ollie Coker should be considered as a starter. These two seem to have goals in them. Playing them IMO would give us more chance of finding the net. It would of course mean leaving two other midfielders out but it could be worth sacrificing a bit of quality for more of a goal threat. Wood and Coker are two of our younger prospects, with improvement they could well be first choice starters next season.

EMBARRASSING. we are in a relegation battle. Everyone from players to fans need to ****ing wake up
A show of support like you protest days are obviously needed, no matter how grim it may be you have to back YOUR team guys.

Sounds like a typical National League smash and grab. Ebbsfleet did the same too us and you have to take your hats off to them when they frustrate the flow of the game.

So hard to predict results in this league.

Dave.

We need the new owners to put there hands in there pockets and sign players who will and can get us out of this awful league! Its great giving danny waldron a chance to step up but is he really going to fire us to league 2.

I think a lot of people are being harsh on Bridge, we have been playing exactly the same style of football for a good 18 months, lots of sideways passes in midfield then out to the left and expect Jack to perform miracles while marked by 2 / 3 players.

We know exactly what's going to happen so obviously every team in the league does as well and they are set up to defend in mass all the time.

It's a system that worked for a while but surely it's time to change tactics, having 40 of 50 minutes of possession in midfield doesn't win football matches.

UTB 💙

Reactions: jnl
Back