• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oxford City 0-0 Southend United

I note from highlights, Wes had a golden chance to score, but side-footed rather than put laces through it. Dackers did the same.
They don't trust their own technique, do they?
In fact, correct me Zoners, but can anyone remember a full-blooded on-target drive from Mr F?

I note from highlights, Wes had a golden chance to score, but side-footed rather than put laces through it. Dackers did the same.
In fact, correct me Zoners, but can anyone remember a full-blooded on-target drive from Mr F?
We watched the warm up pre game, Dackers side footed every shot and mostly at the keeper. Cardwell was the best and hit bottom corners but of course it’s very different than playing in a match under pressure. I’m staggered Dackers is a pro footballer. Offers next to nothing, hardly wins a header and his shots are prouder puff at best. Husin, Mikey, Cardwell, Bridge to name a few have a good shot in them they simply don’t use it

We watched the warm up pre game, Dackers side footed every shot and mostly at the keeper. Cardwell was the best and hit bottom corners but of course it’s very different than playing in a match under pressure. I’m staggered Dackers is a pro footballer. Offers next to nothing, hardly wins a header and his shots are prouder puff at best. Husin, Mikey, Cardwell, Bridge to name a few have a good shot in them they simply don’t use it
The amount of times in recent games we’ve been screaming at players just to ****ing shoot!

They seem to go for the pass in the hope the incoming player will side foot it in. Just take a ****ing shot! It’s so frustrating to watch, it’s almost like the players have been told not to do it.

I’d love to know the management team’s thinking behind getting Dackers back (genuine question). He may be a nice lad and was available .. but he’s not appearing to be what we need. Also, I didn’t think Waldron did that bad vs York just didn’t get the service. One goal might spark him off and he’ll need at least 5/6 games to adjust.

Edit - I see there were concerns with Waldron’s fitness yesterday which is fair enough…but he’s got to be the long term no 1 choice to partner Cardwell. Our real issues lie away from the front 2.

Last edited:
Just to change the Kev bashing theme on here. What did people think of their ground?.

Due to one of our Taxis turning up late the last 4 of us ended up going in the home end. Our tickets were accepted ok on the scan. At least we could see the game and several others including dads with lads who couldn't see came and joined us. Decent club house and decent fans.
We arrived early, at that time things were fine, it was a welcome change to see curry available to buy, which Kev had, while I enjoyed my pasty.

Going into the ground, that uncovered seating stand was not ideal, you should be having that covered if you have any serious plans. Lads were getting through underneath and scrambling up the back to stand on the scaffolding it was attached to until security came and chucked them off.

Why some thought they could come and stand in front of the seats, I have no idea. They were moved on or allowed to sit on the steps. I only saw two stewards in the away end, IMHO that was not enough for 1200 fans.

Toilets were totally inadequate. One functioning toilet for women in that quantity of support was shocking. Men were openly going for a **** behind the stand at the end because trying to get out then having to queue for ages was not practical.

I believe Oxford over sold. We outnumbered their fans two to one and they should have given up one of the side stands to us. Can't blame them for seeing the £ signs but don't then treat travelling fans so badly.

The amount of times in recent games we’ve been screaming at players just to ****ing shoot!

They seem to go for the pass in the hope the incoming player will side foot it in. Just take a ****ing shot! It’s so frustrating to watch, it’s almost like the players have been told not to do it.
Exactly that as I mentioned before the same frustrations again.
Some on here complain about the player's we have on the pitch but for me it's more about the tactics being used we are easy to play against clearly in the last 3 games alone the opposition know how we are set up and play but we continue in the same way.If we are to get out of this predicament this has got to change we dont have bad players it's the tactics are the issue

Wes has 16 goals in 200 games. He has many attributes but expecting him to bring goals and clinical finishing is a triumph of hope over expectation.

For lady fans the facilities were bad. We had one cubicle that only flushed after three or four of us. The other cubicle out of order. No portaloo facilities for the ladies. We were seated in away end and didn’t find out until we had been in there half an hour that we had to walk out of stadium to find toilets. Will not visit this ground again. Understand that they are not use to catering for big away crowds but they knew we were coming and could have made better arrangements.
Sounds like awful facilities. Sure you weren't at Roots Hall ? :Think:

Exactly that as I mentioned before the same frustrations again.
Some on here complain about the player's we have on the pitch but for me it's more about the tactics being used we are easy to play against clearly in the last 3 games alone the opposition know how we are set up and play but we continue in the same way.If we are to get out of this predicament this has got to change we dont have bad players it's the tactics are the issue
I would not say we have bad players. We have players - Dackers, Sandat, Powell, perhaps even Cardwell - who are simply not good enough to get us out of this league. Or possibly keep us in it. Those who describe our forwards as prolific are delusional. I don’t subscribe to the view that we don’t score because of lack of service. The forwards are not running off the ball, not running with the ball, not seeking space, don’t shoot, and when they get the occasional chance or half chance, **** it up.

I'd also add in that we were very nervy towards the end trying not to lose in the dying minutes as we have done recently. Another justification for bringing Demi on.

There has been a lot of criticism of the management team for the lack of a goal scoring midfielder. I believe Kev and Co recognised the need for such a player, and made what at the time was seen as a statement signing, based on stats and previous form. I refer of course to Mooney. It’s a great shame that things didn’t work out for him (and us) at RH.
It’s a coincidence I’m sure, but our loss of form started when Mooney returned to Altrincham.

Wes has 16 goals in 200 games. He has many attributes but expecting him to bring goals and clinical finishing is a triumph of hope over expectation.

So if you discount penalties scored, that must make him our most prolific goal scoring midfield player.?

There has been a lot of criticism of the management team for the lack of a goal scoring midfielder. I believe Kev and Co recognised the need for such a player, and made what at the time was seen as a statement signing, based on stats and previous form. I refer of course to Mooney. It’s a great shame that things didn’t work out for him (and us) at RH.
It’s a coincidence I’m sure, but our loss of form started when Mooney returned to Altrincham.
Nah. He hardly ever played ! Don't see that would have made much difference

Agreed, we’re missing him badly. I believe he’s already scored 4 goals and is our one midfielder who isn’t scared to have a shot from range.
The others are shooting from range, but the shots get blocked. As well as being better at shooting by a distance, Coker plans on getting a shot away before the ball comes to him so he finds that bit of space to do it. The others get the ball with an oppo player a yard in front and there is no opportunity to shoot

Have a look at the highlights from Gateshead's win at Wealdstone.
Sharp, slick one-touch, two-touch at most in and around the box, and four goals as a result. It wasn't just a one-off against us.
Zoners labelled a team on a minuscule budget as bang average.
What does that make us?

Have a look at the highlights from Gateshead's win at Wealdstone.
Sharp, slick one-touch, two-touch at most in and around the box, and four goals as a result. It wasn't just a one-off against us.
Zoners labelled a team on a minuscule budget as bang average.
What does that make us?
Pass and move applies in the final third too. Unfortunately for us we pass and move until we get to the final third. Then we put crosses in for Cardwell, and that's is. We need some pace and quality up front. We also need to be able to transition from defence to attack quicker. Tuesday is huge now. We desperately need a win, as the following 3 games are against sides in the top 7 who are chasing promotion. Worrying times.

Back