• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Oxford City 0-0 Southend United

Is this our lowest league position ever?

Worrying times indeed.

No. We went bottom when we had ten points deducted.

No denying Kev's blue blood However, as a football coach, one should accept that wanting to play in a Premiership style at this level doesn't work. Simply , cut out the fancy footwork and try a bit of shooting practice at training. Goals are the name of the game and that is what the Fans thrive on. Looks lovely but no end product at this time or all season for that matter.

Playing in a Premiership style fashion seemed to work ok for Notts County when they got over 100 points last season.

The season before that they had a little wobble end of Jan/start of February and then a further wobble in March after they lost to Chesterfield and went 4 matches without a win. They stuck with it (both the style and the manager) and were promoted the following season (and without stocking up on experienced FL players - their team had similar FL experience to our current squad).

Another day Sandat’s keeps his shot down and we go onto win 3-0 like we did v Halifax. There are thin margins in football - the width of the crossbar that Crowther smacked. Sometimes it’s the shot at the end which just needs the slightest of touches to divert it in and then the match reports from those that focus on the result rather than the process read very differently.

We need a bit of luck and we’ll be fine. I just hope the players believe in themselves more than some of you do.

Just noticed ebbsfleet v Woking on Tuesday night so unless we get something at Maidenhead our mighty blue boys will be in the bottom four and a tough game v aldershot on Saturday COYB
Talking of Aldershot, following their 5-0 loss, they pressed the life out of Altrincham beating them 2 nothing, and That's the kind of reaction you want from a Blues Team not one that's going through the motions like they're safe mid table and playing out the end of season games.

The amount of times in recent games we’ve been screaming at players just to ****ing shoot!

They seem to go for the pass in the hope the incoming player will side foot it in. Just take a ****ing shot! It’s so frustrating to watch, it’s almost like the players have been told not to do it.
Never stopped Powell getting a shot off, although it could go anywhere ! But oh for the excitement of a shoot on site of a goalie wearing pink or not!

Never stopped Powell getting a shot off, although it could go anywhere ! But oh for the excitement of a shoot on site of a goalie wearing pink or not!
I normally tended to shield my face whenever Powell looked like he was going to shoot. For context I’m in the South Upper.

Agree with all you’ve said. Just pondering the highlighted part, have any of our CB’s even scored a goal this season? I certainly can’t remember one and that’s really poor… The midfield trio haven’t scored for donkeys either.

Our set up for corners/free kicks definitely hasn’t been great, the only goal I can remember we’ve scored directly from a set piece was Powell v Oldham.

We were overly reliant on Cardwell for goals early on, Kanu then helped to paper over the cracks, since he went we’ve been lacking any real threat. Hopefully Cardwell can find his mojo again, but he has been very out of sorts since return. You can’t just rely on one man for goals though.
I wonder if they are instructed to look for the strikers and none of them tend to shoot at all, even when the opportunity arises.

Crowther when he was clean through the other day looked like he suddenly remembered and tried that awful cut back to Cards when a shot would of been easier.

I sent an email to Oxford City complaining about the toilet facilities and this was their reply IMG_3362.png

Last edited by a moderator:
No. We went bottom when we had ten points deducted.

Playing in a Premiership style fashion seemed to work ok for Notts County when they got over 100 points last season.

The season before that they had a little wobble end of Jan/start of February and then a further wobble in March after they lost to Chesterfield and went 4 matches without a win. They stuck with it (both the style and the manager) and were promoted the following season (and without stocking up on experienced FL players - their team had similar FL experience to our current squad).

Another day Sandat’s keeps his shot down and we go onto win 3-0 like we did v Halifax. There are thin margins in football - the width of the crossbar that Crowther smacked. Sometimes it’s the shot at the end which just needs the slightest of touches to divert it in and then the match reports from those that focus on the result rather than the process read very differently.

We need a bit of luck and we’ll be fine. I just hope the players believe in themselves more than some of you do.
And Notts scored 117 goals.

Unfortunately that is the way football is being played at the moment. I give you two examples.
1) on tv onFriday - West Brom v Southampton - exactly the same in slowly slowly building from the back
2) Yesterday I went to Gosport Borough v Salisbury (Southern Premier League 2 down from us). Exactly the same slow slow build up with loads of sideways passing with both teams trying to walk the ball into the net.

I do not wish for the return of Route 1 football but there are times when both styles of play produce successful outcomes.

Being more direct does not necessarily mean route 1 football, although it doesn't hurt to mix up the style of play sometimes.

Alan Shearer said on Match of the Day last night that Brighton create a lot of chances because the wide players get forward and get balls into the box as soon as they can, so other team players can get forward anticipating this also.
Also that fans get frustrated when the wide players going forward twist and turn and check back (which sounds familiar).

I never thought that one day I would complimenting Brighton.

But so many others came from midfield players and defenders who can score from set pieces. We don't have many of this type of player.
I didn’t expect to spend so much time looking up stats from Notts 2022-23 campaign today!

When they scored 117 goals Notts County only had four players score than 5 more league goals that season.

Two were strikers signed from NLN, one from abroad and the fourth was a defender.

I sent an email to Oxford City complaining about the toilet facilities and this was their reply View attachment 31156
Great job on the email! Well done. I think you should send this to the national league as I don’t feel the answer is correct. Why should we have to leave the stadium boundary to go for a wizz? It was completely unsafe as if there was a fire you wouldn’t be getting out of there easily.

If you paid by CC you could get it refunded that way as goods/services no received. That’s I will do. Awful!

I got this after complaining about my view. She, Louise Merritt Managing Director Ignite Sport UK L.Lloyd@ignitesportuk.com, effectively blames us for not getting in the ground earlier. I pointed out in my reply that while they may have met their spectator requirements the overall customer experience was poor.

“I have been passed your email and am writing to respond to your feedback.

Thank you for your kind feedback on our staff, we aim to create a welcoming atmosphere and are pleased you experienced it.

Regarding your feedback on spectating, we opened the gates at 12:30pm to allow additional time for spectators to make their way to seats and preferred viewing areas. This is an additional 30 minutes to our usual gate opening time. We also ensured we had an efficient leave and return system in place for those who wished to secure seats/standing with their party and exit into the bar/café area / toilets and return through to seats/standing.

Our ground and spectator areas were fit for purpose for the game and away ticket capacity, and we are sorry that your personal experience was a negative one. It is always advisable to make your way through to select seats/standing areas ahead of ten minutes before kick-off.”

Well I had to have a **** behind the stand on the way out, and I was not the only one. Shocking facilities, at least Dorking spend a bit of cash on a few more Portaloos before the Shrimpers arrived!

Last edited:
I got this after complaining about my view. She, Louise Merritt Managing Director Ignite Sport UK L.Lloyd@ignitesportuk.com, effectively blames us for not getting in the ground earlier. I pointed out in my reply that while they may have met their spectator requirements the overall customer experience was poor.

“I have been passed your email and am writing to respond to your feedback.

Thank you for your kind feedback on our staff, we aim to create a welcoming atmosphere and are pleased you experienced it.

Regarding your feedback on spectating, we opened the gates at 12:30pm to allow additional time for spectators to make their way to seats and preferred viewing areas. This is an additional 30 minutes to our usual gate opening time. We also ensured we had an efficient leave and return system in place for those who wished to secure seats/standing with their party and exit into the bar/café area / toilets and return through to seats/standing.

Our ground and spectator areas were fit for purpose for the game and away ticket capacity, and we are sorry that your personal experience was a negative one. It is always advisable to make your way through to select seats/standing areas ahead of ten minutes before kick-off.”
unbelievable reply so the terrible conditions lack of toilets and unable to watch the game is all the fault of the southend supporters . my wife also sent email to the club and had similar response from this louise woman , she has also complained to the national league ,but will probably receive similar response , how a ground with no toilets inside and only one exit for 1200 people passed a health & safety certificate is amazing

My final thought on last Saturday is that I hope we never see that pink monstrosity again.

We all know we'd have won if we were wearing yellow.

My final thought on last Saturday is that I hope we never see that pink monstrosity again.

We all know we'd have won if we were wearing yellow.
Yep, us in pink or opposition keepers in pink, none of them are very helpful.

Back