• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Aldershot Town

I think it’s quite hard to read too much into the game, such was the manner in which it turned on Menayese’s red card early in the second half. Waldron did brilliantly to get in behind him, and the Aldershot defender prevented an obvious goalscoring opportunity given no-one else was going to get across to avert the shot.

In the first half, I know it will appear that we were ponderous in possession, but I thought that was down to the intensity with which Aldershot pressed us. Their front three were as good as any we’ve come across this season, and players who are usually comfortable on the ball like Kensdale, Miley and Husin coughed it up to their opponents.

The goal came when Morton gave the ball away in midfield, Tolaj’s shot was blocked and Stokes turned in the rebound. Stokes should probably had a second when Tolaj’s effort bounced back to him off the crossbar and he sliced wide.

And I don’t think we should downplay the role Collin played in this win. He made two crucial saves, one when Miley was robbed of the ball and he pushed Tolaj’s low shot away from goal and then when he tipped Daly’s shot over. If we’d been 3-0 down at half-time, I don’t think even the red card would’ve enabled us to get back on top.

We did have some good moments in the opening period and Waldron managed to get a couple of headers in that tested the Aldershot goalkeeper, one a glancing effort from Morton’s delivery and another from Demetriou’s right-wing cross. Together with his pace and finishing, he’s looking to be a decent package as a forward. I’d suggest he was our man of the match today. Noor also drew a good save from the goalkeeper, albeit he pulled out a dive for the cameras.

Aldershot started the second period well and they claimed for a penalty for handball quite vociferously before a potential foul on the edge of the penalty area went unpunished. Like Tuesday, the luck was with us because, when play switched to the other end, the referee made a big decision and, after the red card, Bridge’s fairly innocuous free-kick was spilled and Cardwell turned in the rebound. Aside from the obvious morale-boost for Cardwell, it was great to see three or four Blues players following up before opposition players, even accounting for the slight numerical advantage.

So often you see sides frustrate their opponents once they go down to ten men, but that instant goal didn’t allow Aldershot time to adjust. That Kensdale quickly added a second from close-range (consecutive games with a defender hitting the target another positive) provided another decisive moment.

Wood for Morton was a positive substitution - albeit Morton was probably unfortunate he was the player to make way - and we created more opportunities. Kensdale could’ve had another but hit the woodwork, Ralph had a powerful header turned away and Waldron was denied by the goalkeeper after running in behind again. And Waldron should've been awarded a penalty for a blatant shove.

More positives in stoppage time as Wood scored a superb solo goal, dribbling past three defenders before coolly slotting home, and then he played an intelligent pass for Dackers to smash in via the underside of the crossbar. I think the frame of the goal is still shaking.

It’s hard to know if we’d’ve worked out a way past Aldershot without the dismissal because we were certainly struggling. I’m not convinced they could’ve kept up that intensity and maintained the high press, but they might’ve extended their advantage before we could get back on terms, or they could’ve frustrated us. Thankfully we don’t have to worry about it and there should be plenty of confidence in the camp moving onto Tuesday now.

Interesting comment from Paul Clarke on BBC Essex when he said that he thought Sir Marcus of Dackers played with an "anger". I agree. Something had lit a fire and, I'll be honest, I hope that the player who I have had little faith in, thus far, has crossed through a barrier and can crack on to be an effective part of the team.

As always much informed observations already made.

For me the learnings:

Danny Waldron is a fantastic signing. Not just his goal threat but overall game. Talk about the two incidents. The reason Aldershot did not get a free kick is the two players were leaning all over each other and the refs clear approach to life was to let everything go- maybe no decision verses a bad decision- not sure that works but that was consistent with all he did prior.

Although Waldron initially looked like he was going wide he ducked back in and when pulled down - literally - he had straightened up and was entering the penalty from the front of the box. Without doubt the foul stopped a goalscoring opportunity and the covering defender was a way away and level at best.

These two decisions may actually have been the only two he got right! Which I guess makes us lucky..

Wood scored one, made one for Dackers and sent Waldron through 1 on 1. Ran at defenders and caused more goal threat and created more than our midfield three in the last three games put together (and in the space of less than a half). In a midfield 3 he should be the attacking MF (if there is one talent in this squad who I predict will go for a lot of money it’s him- Stokes? 200k?). I would like to see him start Tues. I fear it might wrongly be regarded still as a too “exciting” a selection…

Demi? He is an example to every young pro (and older pros). He has looked after himself and sets a great example. Player coach is perfect for him at the moment and my prediction is he will grace RH more than once next season as well.

Dackers- the guy wants to succeed and knows, I think, he needs a home for next season. His reaction to his goal reflected that. Sandat won’t be here next year, so it will be two new strikers or Dackers plus one. The jury is out but he clearly likes being here and I wish him well- sometimes it suddenly clicks- yes there seemed to a bit of anger (actually aggression is a better word) today and it served him well.

Last edited:
For me today, the difference was, we was running at and towards the goal, running at defenders instead of wing crabing.

When we ran at their defence, their seemed to break down,
And hey Presto, 4-1 against a good Aldershot side.

But we were better.

Let’s do the same on Tuesday night.

Come on you blues.

Pretty much agree with your ratings, though I don't think Miley deserves a 6 🙂; thought he was very poor and could have cost us a second. Said pre-match I would have left him out and think he should be dropped on Tuesday. We all want the old Miley back, so maybe a couple of sub appearances will do him good.

Was pleasantly surprised by Dackers today; won headers, put himself about - hopefully a sign of things to come.

Dakkers was shoved over in an off the ball incident within seconds of coming on. Whilst not quite a Devon Malcolm "You guys are history" moment it clearly annoyed him and Aldershot paid the price.

Lovely moment in 2nd half in front of West stand when an intended ball to Jack Wood was going straight to the opposition, bit of a weak pass. Jack quickly realising he was the wrong side stuck and shoulder into the fella and turned that ball over. I thought thats a will to win right there.
Later on he's bursting into the box and shooting the ball high wide and glorious, clearing the South stand, awful shooting. Next thing i know, he's picked it up outside the box, jinked a couple and facing the keeper, nonchantly passing the ball past the keeper.
Well done Jack.
I love the fact he wants to get in the box and isn’t afraid to have a dig. After that wild shot over the bar he kept his cool and slotted in just when we needed a 3rd to settle the nerves.

Really weird game today. I've been moaning all season that we've dominated games and failed to kill teams off. Today, we were playing a side that looked head and shoulders above us at times and we've come away with a 4-1 win.

Aldershot were totally in control of the game. We weren't hurting them, they were winning the midfield battle and their front three looked like they would score every time they came forward. Miley was up against Stokes and I think it's only the second ever time I've seen him come out second best. Stokes looks quality (but he's an embarrassingly gobby, whingey sod).

The sending off, combined with some generous goalkeeping, turned the game on its head in an instant. We looked a different side from then on.

We took full advantage of the extra space afforded to us, but I do think if it was 11vs11, it would have been a very tight contest. I thought the subs were good - Wood took full advantage of the space afforded to him by the gaps left by a 10-man side having to chase the game. Lovely work for the third, but I advise their defenders not to watch it back.

Over the years, Aldershot have taken so many undeserved points off us I have lost count, so it's nice to turn the tables for a change. I do think though that the final score was not a true reflection of the respective sides' abilities.

As always much informed observations already made.

For me the learnings:

Danny Waldron is a fantastic signing. Not just his goal threat but overall game. Talk about the two incidents. The reason Aldershot did not get a free kick is the two players were leaning all over each other and the refs clear approach to life was to let everything go- maybe no decision verses a bad decision- not sure that works but that was consistent with all he did prior.

Although Waldron initially looked like he was going wide he ducked back in and when pulled down - literally - he had straightened up and was entering the penalty from the front of the box. Without doubt the foul stopped a goalscoring opportunity and the covering defender was a way away and level at best.

These two decisions may actually have been the only two he got right! Which I guess makes us lucky..

Wood scored one, made one for Dackers and sent Waldron through 1 on 1. Ran at defenders and caused more goal threat and created more than our midfield three in the last three games put together (and in the space of less than a half). In a midfield 3 he should be the attacking MF (if there is one talent in this squad who I predict will go for a lot of money it’s him- Stokes? 200k?). I would like to see him start Tues. I fear it might wrongly be regarded still as a too “exciting” a selection…

Demi? He is an example to every young pro (and older pros). He has looked after himself and sets a great example. Player coach is perfect for him at the moment and my prediction is he will grace RH more than once next season as well.

Dackers- the guy wants to succeed and knows, I think, he needs a home for next season. His reaction to his goal reflected that. Sandat won’t be here next year, so it will be two new strikers or Dackers plus one. The jury is out but he clearly likes being here and I wish him well- sometimes it suddenly clicks- yes there seemed to a bit of anger (actually aggression is a better word) today and it served him well.
Without wishing to take anything away from Wood (he was excellent), there's a very big difference between coming on wide against 10-men chasing the game, and playing in a 10 role trying to break down a low block. I think it's worth a try, but I don't think you can compare the situations. He's also more of a winger than a 10.

Great result today and I feel totally deserved. Not really understanding the negativity surrounding the first half performance. Understand we went in at 1-0 down but we gave the goal away rather than were taken apart. We need to be careful about giving the players grief for making mistakes. Maher told the lads in front of East in no uncertain terms to calm down when they did. We don’t want to add to the nerves as we try to recover our confidence. Personally, just the final ball was lacking in the opening 45. Went we went in at half time I knew it would end 4-1…… 😉

Well, I didn’t really expect the turnaround we saw but second half was exactly what we needed. The sending off did change the game, and I had a great view of it. Whilst Waldron was getting away, he wasn’t heading directly for goal BUT that defender was the last man and therefore ref didn’t have a choice. Didn’t the ref milk the moment though? Waving the players away, taking an age, walking over towards the stand, the slow reach into pocket. Someone wanted to be the star of the show!!

After that we did exactly what we had to do. Made great use of the space and scored four good goals for the three points.

Thought Cardwell was excellent today, he won everything in the air and got a number of key flick on’s and really put himself about. It was a real poacher goal too for the rebound from Bridge’s free kick. Waldron looked sharp and his fitness is improving for sure, good to see him make 90+ minutes. He made some lovely runs with and without the ball. Husin was everywhere and I know he can overplay sometimes but he is such a good outlet. Demi was amazing again down the right and hoping he keeps his place on Tuesday. Brilliant to see Kensdale get his goal on 100th appearance. Very much deserved. Oh and finally, Wood’s goal was sublime. Literally danced his way past three defenders before calmly, almost cheekily, passed it into the net. Dackers with his run and shot, crashing in off the underside of the bar was the icing on the cake.

Our heroes, once again.

Colin 7
Demi 8
Crowther 8
Kensdale 8
Ralph 7
Bridge 7
Morton 7
Miley 6
Husin 8
Waldron 7.5
Cardwell 8

I did notice a big difference between the two teams in the first half.

We did our usual slow, pass from the keeper to Ollie K who then passed both sideways and forward , all short passes,-- all giving the oppos every chance to plan their defence and try to intercept our passes.
Aldershot often played the long ball from their dynamic keeper up to their three or four forwards putting us under intense pressure instantly. Using this method they were causing problems for our defence.

It just seems to me that playing 10-12 passes to try and get forward gives the oppos lots of chance to break down attack, especially if our passes put team-mates under extreme pressure.

Back