• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Aldershot Town

That first half we were bullied, simple as that. At half time, Kev had clearly worked out that the ref was an incompetent and advised our players to do to them what we'd had done to us throughout the first half and it worked.

We gave the ball away far too cheaply far too often in the first half - Miley, Morton, Demi, Noor...all players you wouldn't normally expect to but learning that lesson and being much more physical made the second half one we could dominate particularly once they'd gone down to 10.

Although the two "incidents" may have looked very similar on paper, I thought they were very different. I don't think Kensdale was the last man for their one AND that their player made a massive meal of it, whereas Menayese was the last player for them. I'd like to see the Kensdale one again because I didn't think there was a tremendous amount in it.

Always rated Stuart O'Keefe when he was with us as a youngster, but he'd turned into a bit of a thug. Stokes was an annoying little cheat. Thought Tolaj and Glover were very good players on their side.

Delighted for all four who scored - all needed a goal for various reasons. Cardwell to end his drought and Kensdale who has been over shadowed by Crowther. Especially pleased for the two subs, who both showed what they can do given the chance. Been crying out for Wood to be given a chance playing in his natural position and he absolutely showed what he can do - he's such a lovely young lad and that cameo will have given him a great boost of confidence. Dackers has had people on here on his back, and he too, showed a great deal of composure and determination.

Defensively, I thought we were fairly solid. Collin was confident in goal and made some good saves - looked to be a bit bullied in the goalmouth for their corners and will need to bulk up a bit to stop that and to be more imposing (can't remember that happening much with Dan Bentley after he did so, for instance). Ralph coming back gave us some steel and I thought he was terrific, my MOTM. Thought Demi was quite lightweight in the first half but turned it around in the second, which is good as I thought 2 full matches in 4 days might trouble him. He also played some very intelligent through balls for players to run on to. Crowther is clearly a very astute signing!

Midfield, as already mentioned, had mistakes aplenty in the first. Miley very uncharacteristically giving the ball away several times, and Morton doing so led to Aldershot's goal. Noor the best of the three. Bridge had a decent enough game and his delivery was much better.

Waldron and Cardwell were both strong up top and this looks to be a very good partnership building. There was a lot better understanding between the two of them.

Collin - 7
Demi - 7
Crowther - 7.5
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 8 MOTM
Bridge - 7
Morton - 6.5
Miley - 6.5
Husin - 7
Waldron - 7.5
Cardwell - 7.5

Subs:
Wood - 7.5
Dackers - 7
Fonguck - n/a

Officials - well, the ref just looked as if he didn't want to be there, the game seemed to pass him by much of the first half and he just seemed to let everything go! Pretty inept really.

What great day out that was for me. Our record is poor v Aldershot so coming from one down to smash in 4 was sheer delight. From goal drought to 6 different players scoring in a week. For us that's better than one payer getting a hat-rick.

As some of us pointed out during all the nonsense in the last few weeks. We don't need more strikers on loan or a change of manager. Just some quality in and around the box. Kensdale having a touch, Jinking Jack and Dakers finally putting his laces through a shot was EFL not NLS.

When we are at RH I have theory that if dont test the keeper in the first 25 it rarely gets better. Recently we have gone over an hour but not yesterday. We actually had decent opening 15. Morton put a good cross in for Waldron who forced a save but at least they crowd were up and we had won corner early on. Husin hit the target etc.

We conceded after a sudden nervy couple of minutes. We gave the ball away 3 times in row and they finally punished us, with yet another rebound goal.....One that never falls of us.

We started the second half by losing the ball in our own half from our KO. Just when I'm thinking this could be another Aldershot day. The ref steps in and makes a game altering decision. Yes we have seen plenty not given but for me the defender has already told you....He commits the foul because he thinks its goal scoring opportunity, so can't complain that it was red.

At least JB hit the target from the free kick. Harry C would have won that race even if the defender was next to him. When the squad do the final warm up 20m sprints you will notice HC wants to win every one (Wes is happy to be last). He was in great starting point right in the keepers line of sight.....That always helps for a spill. At last we get one and we don't miss this time

The key to yesterdays win was to not let the 10 men settle. Rather than overpass it out on the left Morton delivers another god cross and we have blue shirts where it counts. Well done Olly on your 100th game. He will have a bage of honour on his face to retiming him.

In a day of strange decisions we all groaned at 9mins added. You all know what happened next. Could have stayed out for another 30 but we don't want to spoil ourselves for Tuesday. Make sure you get yourself down to the Hall......Under lights and noisy, it will be fun.

One concerning bit of news is GSM is going for a scan and it is a worry.

I couldn't make the game yesterday. Was Morton injured, or was it a tactical switch to bring ,the more attacking, Wood on ?

That first half we were bullied, simple as that. At half time, Kev had clearly worked out that the ref was an incompetent and advised our players to do to them what we'd had done to us throughout the first half and it worked.

We gave the ball away far too cheaply far too often in the first half - Miley, Morton, Demi, Noor...all players you wouldn't normally expect to but learning that lesson and being much more physical made the second half one we could dominate particularly once they'd gone down to 10.

Although the two "incidents" may have looked very similar on paper, I thought they were very different. I don't think Kensdale was the last man for their one AND that their player made a massive meal of it, whereas Menayese was the last player for them. I'd like to see the Kensdale one again because I didn't think there was a tremendous amount in it.

Always rated Stuart O'Keefe when he was with us as a youngster, but he'd turned into a bit of a thug. Stokes was an annoying little cheat. Thought Tolaj and Glover were very good players on their side.

Delighted for all four who scored - all needed a goal for various reasons. Cardwell to end his drought and Kensdale who has been over shadowed by Crowther. Especially pleased for the two subs, who both showed what they can do given the chance. Been crying out for Wood to be given a chance playing in his natural position and he absolutely showed what he can do - he's such a lovely young lad and that cameo will have given him a great boost of confidence. Dackers has had people on here on his back, and he too, showed a great deal of composure and determination.

Defensively, I thought we were fairly solid. Collin was confident in goal and made some good saves - looked to be a bit bullied in the goalmouth for their corners and will need to bulk up a bit to stop that and to be more imposing (can't remember that happening much with Dan Bentley after he did so, for instance). Ralph coming back gave us some steel and I thought he was terrific, my MOTM. Thought Demi was quite lightweight in the first half but turned it around in the second, which is good as I thought 2 full matches in 4 days might trouble him. He also played some very intelligent through balls for players to run on to. Crowther is clearly a very astute signing!

Midfield, as already mentioned, had mistakes aplenty in the first. Miley very uncharacteristically giving the ball away several times, and Morton doing so led to Aldershot's goal. Noor the best of the three. Bridge had a decent enough game and his delivery was much better.

Waldron and Cardwell were both strong up top and this looks to be a very good partnership building. There was a lot better understanding between the two of them.

Collin - 7
Demi - 7
Crowther - 7.5
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 8 MOTM
Bridge - 7
Morton - 6.5
Miley - 6.5
Husin - 7
Waldron - 7.5
Cardwell - 7.5

Subs:
Wood - 7.5
Dackers - 7
Fonguck - n/a

Officials - well, the ref just looked as if he didn't want to be there, the game seemed to pass him by much of the first half and he just seemed to let everything go! Pretty inept really.
Diversity vlog has a pretty good view of the Kensdale incident

If there was ever a game of two halves this was it. We were pretty dismal first half but found our game 2nd half and played really well.

Nice to see Harry Cardwell back to his menacing best and although it took us awhile for some reason to wake up the 3 points are massive in ensuring our safety this season. Brilliant goal from Jack Wood and he was exceptional when he came on.

Great that Ollie scored on his 100th appearance,

The ref was absolutely bizarre with some of his decisions and it was once the oddest games i have seen regarding him.

We showed we can mix it with the best of them today but lets do it for 90 minutes not 45.

Over to you guys.

May be an image of ‎2 people, people playing football, people playing American football and ‎text that says ‎FULL Time HORTON 23 ERSHOT ERSHOT TOWN اسه SOUTHEND UNITED 4-1 vanarama NATIONAL LEAGU Cardwell 51' Kensdale 55' Wood 90+2' Dackers 90+6' THE SHOTS Stokes 18' JACK THOMAS SERVCS‎‎‎' Kensdale 55' Wood 90+2' Dackers 90+6' THE SHOTS Stokes 18' JACK THOMAS SERVCS‎‎‎
Let’s do it against 11 men too!
You missed out Marcus Dackers thunderbolt.Great Shot👌🫶
Two new goal scorers , to add to Waldron and Crowther last week. COYB, UTB
Great afternoon, we are back on the horse!
Keep it up Blues 🧢💙💙💙

Last edited:
Our fan base never ceases to amaze me. I’ve seen numerous times after yesterday that we won’t get anything from Altrincham and Oldham. Alty lost to Maidenhead having lost to Aldershot, we’ve beaten both this week and Oldham are a classic hit and miss team having lost to Kiddie after drawing with York. We have 41 points but have actually achieved 51

Old P 34 W 14 D 11 L 9 F 52 A 44 pts 53
Alty P 33 W 14 D 10 L 9 F 60 A 46 pts 52
Sufc P 33 W 15 D 6 L12 F 50 A 35 pts 41 (51)

Aldershot have played 2 games more than us having won 16, Drawn 6 and lost 13. If we can get on a roll there shouldn’t be anyone to fear. We keep it tight at the back. If we start hitting the net consistently then we will be fine. Maybe too late of the play offs but defo more than good enough to finish mid table plus

A game of two halves, first half they looked quicker, stronger, were running midfield, winning the second ball and looked dangerous up front. At half time I said to others we look beaten and could see why Aldershot were in the playoffs. Second half, take a bow Mr Referee, you turned the game for us. Credit to Waldron for getting in the position to create the dismissal. What a game football is when you have the momentum and the feel good factor of all the goal scorers. Huge weights off the shoulders of Cardwell (first goal for a while), Kensdale (first goal) and subs keen too impress. Aldershot showed their other side of capitulation when faced with adversity.

Andeng-Ndi 7
Crowther 7
Kensdale 7.5
Ralph 8
Demetriou 8.5 MOTM
Husin 7
Miley 6
Morton 6.5
Bridge 7
Cardwell 7.5
Waldron 7.5

Wood 7.5
Dackers 7
Fonguck 6

What a performance from JD (MOTM), so much energy for 36 and awareness of space for others to find him. A joy to watch, closely followed by Ralph who was important to have back for his heading ability. Now onto the other Mr Phil Parkinson, who I am glad has been pulled back a peg or two by three straight defeats, really need to turn the screw on them from the off on Tuesday. UTB

You'll have noticed that all 4 goals we scored came after what looked like a very dubious sending off.
We'll never know what would've happened if they'd kept 11 on the pitch. However, how many times have we bemoaned our inability to play against 10 men. How about praise for scoring 4 against 10 men in 40 mins and several other good chances?

We'll never know what would've happened if they'd kept 11 on the pitch. However, how many times have we bemoaned our inability to play against 10 men. How about praise for scoring 4 against 10 men in 40 mins and several other good chances?
How many times have we gone a goal down and come back to smash teams at Roots kicking into the South bank ?
They had it coming, 10 men or not

Of course the sending of affected Alder****. It's naive to think otherwise but, that's football and we have not had the rub of the green with decisions of late. A timely change to our fortunes. The win over Maidenhead was helpful but, it was a dour performance and we continued that in the first half yesterday. We really need to put consistency into our game and that will come if we move the ball quicker, reduce the passing and stop knobbing around at the back.

As I said in the week, I believe we have a more than capable squad, it just needs sending out with the right approach. It will come.

Of course the sending of affected Alder****. It's naive to think otherwise but, that's football and we have not had the rub of the green with decisions of late. A timely change to our fortunes. The win over Maidenhead was helpful but, it was a dour performance and we continued that in the first half yesterday. We really need to put consistency into our game and that will come if we move the ball quicker, reduce the passing and stop knobbing around at the back.

As I said in the week, I believe we have a more than capable squad, it just needs sending out with the right approach. It will come.
I actually think scoring straight after they went down to 10 affected the game more than the sending off itself. Had it remained at 0-1 for a period of time, frustration may have set in, and if I recall, we don't have a great record playing against 10

Back