• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Aldershot Town

Really good performance yesterday.

Can’t comment much more on what had been said but a couple of observations.

Waldron was superb, running at them and essentially creating space for our midfield to move into. Was fully observable once we had Wood on who had that intent to operate in that space.

Personally I thought that the red card was fully justified but I’m not as convinced it “changed the game”. For me it was Miley getting to grips with their 10 Stokes who had run the show in the first half for them. Once he was focused on being angry rather than sniping at our midfield it took away their menace.

Great to see Dackers play like we knew he could and prove many a doubter on here that he is a good player. Personally I would love to see him as a permanent signing in the summer, still young and with loads of potential.

It was a very interesting game as it was so different from the first half to the second.

I thought Miley had one of his worst performances in a blues shirt in the first half. He got caught on the ball far too often and wasn't his usual composed self. He looked lost if I'm honest, which is strange for him. He improved in the second half though.

I, like many, have voiced the same concern over and over, that the midfield is a problem at the moment. I think Miley and Morton are too similar and Husin is reluctant to attack, although he did more of that in the second half yesterday. I'm really hoping Coker can come in soon and take that role, or maybe Wood will get an opportunity in that role on Tuesday. Either way, something has to change in that midfield to make us more productive and to link to the front two more.

I thought Waldron had his best game by far and he is looking far sharper. He was getting to 50/50 balls first and was looking a lot stronger in his hold up play. The red card was because of his movement and that should be applauded.

I thought Ralph had a good game and JD too. What a pro he is!

None of us should be moaning about the red card and that we only scored after it. We have struggled countless times against ten men but also thrown away wins against ten men in the past too. It was less about ten men and more about actually finishing chances for once. It can only be a huge positive to come away from two games this week with three strikers scoring (Waldron, Cardwell and Dackers).

Altrincham not in great form and we should be full of confidence after securing 7 points from 9. Bring them on.

Thought Ralph was awesome today our best player by a long stretch.

Crowther looks a great signing and I think there is a lot of potential in Danny Waldron.

Midfield was poor today..Nor out of form…Miley got hussled especially first half and Morton looked a little lightweight at times.

Great to see Wood play well…definitely a player there, although so much easier against a 10 man team chasing the game.

Ref was shocking…but that was exactly what we needed

Onwards and upwards :LoyalSupporter:
Yes ! Ralph is so good and I totally agree with everything you say except I’m far from convinced about Wood— good goal obviously but against a proper defence…..

No we have 51 points, our datum is -10, all the other teams have 0 as their datum.
Sorry but I’m just looking at the league table now. No room for any datum I guess . We are 15th in the table on 41 points .. the sooner everyone forgets the 10 point deduction then the sooner we start living in the real world..

You'll have noticed that all 4 goals we scored came after what looked like a very dubious sending off.
Put your fishing rod away. I swear you get kicks out of posting ‘controversial’ things 🤣

It was a red. Whether you think it was justified or not doesn’t matter.

Last edited:
The red was fully justified. A 'professional" foul......Exactly what the straight red was introduced for. Waldron could have score with his first or definitely second touch, that's why he was taken out......Thats exactly what he did on Tuesday without being centre of goal.

The fact that some refs bottle it, like Barnet at home last season, does not make it a bad or harsh decision. Think of our red cards at York etc.

Personally I would like to see straight red for any 'taking one for the team' type fouls, even if its 70 yds from goal. We are often robbed of any chance of breakaway goal down the middle of the park buy such fouls. Those are some of the most exciting goals to watch and we all get conned when player gets taken out. Surely comes under the little of no attempt to play the ball guidance for red.

Last edited:
Sorry but I’m just looking at the league table now. No room for any datum I guess . We are 15th in the table on 41 points .. the sooner everyone forgets the 10 point deduction then the sooner we start living in the real world..
It's been said before, but to repeat, it's not a case of not "living in the real world", most Shrimpers are well aware of where we are in the league table, & the fight we're in.

What is frustrating is the much repeated, 'so & so team are going to be a real challenge, look where we are in the table' when we are clearly the equal, if not better on our day, than any team in this league bar Chesterfield.

That, and I agree, is what the lost points prove, nothing more. (And the fact we've beaten a few of them).

Put your fishing rod away. I swear you get kicks out of posting ‘controversial’ things 🤣

It was a red. Whether you think it was justified or not doesn’t matter.

Absolutely. Just enjoy a great 45 minutes and 4 goals against a team who bullied us first half.
Ref could easily have bottled it but he took his time to decide on the red. He was the last man and deliberately fouled Waldron just outside the penalty area to stop a shot on goal or a penalty.

Oh, and I was about 20 yards from the incident, not whinging from a distance 😉

Our fan base never ceases to amaze me. I’ve seen numerous times after yesterday that we won’t get anything from Altrincham and Oldham. Alty lost to Maidenhead having lost to Aldershot, we’ve beaten both this week and Oldham are a classic hit and miss team having lost to Kiddie after drawing with York. We have 41 points but have actually achieved 51

Old P 34 W 14 D 11 L 9 F 52 A 44 pts 53
Alty P 33 W 14 D 10 L 9 F 60 A 46 pts 52
Sufc P 33 W 15 D 6 L12 F 50 A 35 pts 41 (51)

Aldershot have played 2 games more than us having won 16, Drawn 6 and lost 13. If we can get on a roll there shouldn’t be anyone to fear. We keep it tight at the back. If we start hitting the net consistently then we will be fine. Maybe too late of the play offs but defo more than good enough to finish mid table plus
Woulsd have thought that most of the fanbase can work that we've lost 3 of our last 5 games on the apin and won the last 2.That's hardly play off form but FWIW i think we'll end up mid table too.

It's been said before, but to repeat, it's not a case of not "living in the real world", most Shrimpers are well aware of where we are in the league table, & the fight we're in.

What is frustrating is the much repeated, 'so & so team are going to be a real challenge, look where we are in the table' when we are clearly the equal, if not better on our day, than any team in this league bar Chesterfield.

That, and I agree, is what the lost points prove, nothing more. (And the fact we've beaten a few of them).
It astounds me that people are still not getting this. Nobody is saying the 10 point deduction doesn't exist. They are saying that actually on the pitch, we are as good or close to as good as teams who have 51 or above points. The league table is irrelevant here.

Woulsd have thought that most of the fanbase can work that we've lost 3 of our last 5 games on the apin and won the last 2.That's hardly play off form but FWIW i think we'll end up mid table too.

That’s wrong.

We are currently unbeaten in 3. Back-to-back wins after our draw at Oxford.

Don’t let facts get in the way of your agenda though.

I wasn’t suggesting we’d make play offs, I’m fed up of people worrying playing the likes Aldershot, Alty, Oldham etc. pts gained we are on par. Yes we’ve had a few blips, but so have others so why should we fear anyone?

You'll have noticed that all 4 goals we scored came after what looked like a very dubious sending off.
Might have been dubious to anyone 900 miles away, but every person in the stadium could see it was a red. From the resulting free kick we scored our equaliser. If it was just a yellow instead of red would it have changed the outcome, possibly. But frankly who cares.

To score 4 against a team in the playoffs offs and leading 0-1 away from home we must have done something right in the second half. Its not uncommon for teams to "shut up shop" when winning away from home and start time wasting, especially if they go a man down.

It took Aldershot 8 or 9 minutes to make changes after the sending off, by which time we had scored our second and got our noses in front. And one of those that came on (Thomas) could easily have been sent off. He got a yellow for flailing arms on a jump with Ralph and he continued flapping with his arms a ccouple more times trying to get the ball.

Last edited:
Back