• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 4-1 Aldershot Town

The defender was smart. He knew that the referee was giving nothing and that committing the foul early would introduce doubt rather than wait for Waldron to be so blatantly clear and towards goal. It was clear as day at the time that Waldron had done him and was away.

Thankfully for us, the referee gave the strongest decision he made all game, and one of the few times he got it right.

We are (still) very inconsistent.
as are they it appears. Aldershot lost 5-0 at home to Fylde a few weeks back. Altrincham have lost 3 on the bounce i think. Oldham also blow hot and cold. We are now three unbeaten without actually playing well (less said about Oxford the better). Thats actually a sign of a good team. We may well go on a run now. Win tomorrow night and we go into Saturday full of confidence

The ref could have given anyone of three penalties on Crowther. Even on the highlights you can see their man was using Jiu-jitsu rather than defending for ever corner.

Someone should point that out to Tommy Whingerinton.

Next time you're in the West I suggest you have a look at that ladder on the HW line.Follow it up to the gantry and you'll see the camera perched on top of the West stand.That's the view I get of SUFC games at Roots Hall.It's a good one-( apart fom when Bridge or Ralph take the ball up the NW corner flag kicking into the old Norht Bank)..(As I've said before) Paul Clark sitting in the BBC Essex commenary box at the back of the East stand also called out the decision as a mistake (which obviously beefitted us).
Paul Clarke did say that at the time but probably hadn't seen a replay yet. He may well have changed his opinion if he has seen it, and if he hasn't changed his opinion then let's not forget that he's old school and played at a time when perhaps that wouldn't have been a foul by the letter of the law - that's a whole different can of worms though, and irrelevant really.

I've watched it back again this morning and I'm becoming more and more convinced that the referee got this one right.

Again, the still for you:

1000049810.jpg

Absolutely all over the back Waldron, who is pretty much clean through on goal. Desperation from a defender who knew he'd been done like a kipper and that his man had got in behind him.

I sit absolutely dead level with the incident in the South Upper, pretty close to where it happened. I thought it was a red at the time, I have to say, and I haven't seen too much to change my mind. IMO the camera angle is slightly misleading. Waldron was without doubt going clean through on goal, he had got across his man and was heading inside. Mnoga wouldn't have got there in time.

A lot of their fans moaning they should have had a foul a few moments before. Possibly, but Stokes goes down extremely easily, and the referee wasn't having any of that all game for either side (check out the pull on Miley for the chance that hit the crossbar) so at least he was consistent.
Spot on Jai.

Paul Clarke did say that at the time but probably hadn't seen a replay yet. He may well have changed his opinion if he has seen it, and if he hasn't changed his opinion then let's not forget that he's old school and played at a time when perhaps that wouldn't have been a foul by the letter of the law - that's a whole different can of worms though, and irrelevant really.

I've watched it back again this morning and I'm becoming more and more convinced that the referee got this one right.

View attachment 31253

Absolutely all over the back Waldron, who is pretty much clean through on goal. Desperation from a defender who knew he'd been done like a kipper and that his man had got in behind him.

Spot on Jai.
I also don't care what Paul Clark said, I was level in the East and said at the time, Waldron would have been through on goal. No way were any of those other defenders getting across in time

Waldron got in front of his man at Maidenhead and there's only one winner when that happens. He has electric pace and then thumps it low and hard in the corner. I would have bet him on scoring in that position against Aldershot and I think their defender knew that. At the very least he would have forced the keeper to make a good save.

Au contraire RHB I think it's important. Some fans, and they know who they are, of the we lose we're crap, we win the opposition are crap mentality, have implied if not explicitly stated we were lucky as they went down to 10 men with a dodgy decision. It has now been proved beyond reasonable doubt that in this case the ref got it right.

Next time you're in the West I suggest you have a look at that ladder on the HW line.Follow it up to the gantry and you'll see the camera perched on top of the West stand.That's the view I get of SUFC games at Roots Hall.It's a good one-( apart fom when Bridge or Ralph take the ball up the NW corner flag kicking into the old Norht Bank)..(As I've said before) Paul Clark sitting in the BBC Essex commenary box at the back of the East stand also called out the decision as a mistake (which obviously beefitted us).
My view when watching on a TV or monitor (especially during Covid) was terrible. The picture was awful and pixelated and it was barely in 720p let alone HD or 4K even though I have FTTP. I guess you get the benefit of replays whilst watching whereas those watching live have to replay the moment in out head.

I sit level with Paul Clark (albeit about 7 / 8 rows further down) and saw the incident from a lower position (but still unobstructed) For me, it was a red card then, and looking at the replays and video on Youtube its still a red. He was in front of his man on a heading towards goal. Whether he was to score from that opportunity or if the keeper was to save it we'll never know.

I like Paul Clark and find his commentary second to none, but he does get the occasional thing wrong (Even goal scorers on rare occasion) Perhaps a case of Myopia and Hyperopia creeping in. It tends to happen as age starts to creep in.

I can understand why its such a hot topic on the Aldershot forum, as that was the turning point in the game. Why its such a debate on this forum amongst Southend fans is beyond me.

One thing I am grateful for though is the styling of ShrimperZone. Looking at the Aldershot forum really shows just how good a forum we have in the simple and cleanliness of the design. If the league was based on how good the forum was we would have been promoted by Christmas.

One thing I am grateful for though is the styling of ShrimperZone. Looking at the Aldershot forum really shows just how good a forum we have in the simple and cleanliness of the design. If the league was based on how good the forum was we would have been promoted by Christmas.
If you think Aldershot's site is grim, then check out our next opponents site.

View attachment 31253

Spot on Jai.

Anyone not sure it was a red should compare that still to Taylor’s red against York which was also denial of a goal scoring opportunity
It was 100% a red on Saturday

Aldershot have received Red cards in 6 matches this season and went on to lose most of those matches too, and quite heavily in most cases. Oldham beat them 5-1. Fylde beat them 5-0. And Eastleigh beat them 3-0. I think alot of that is down to their stubborn #### of a manager. I couldn't believe it took them 10 minutes after the sending off to make substitutions. And even then they were like-for-like substitutions and they didn't change their shape. Maher isn't that naive. You'd think Widdrington would learn from his mistakes. What a clown. So glad we took advantage of that and battered them after Widdringtons unecessary remarks about us pre match. Even happier that our floodlights stayed on 😉

Not had a chance to get on here and post about Saturdays game. What a different set of halves. Although we won plenty of corners in the first half, we were never really at the races and we started getting sloppy in possession of the ball and that nearly lead to us conceding and we didn’t learn from our errors and got punished. They looked decent on the break and tested us when running back towards our goal.

Second half and thankfully the number advantage paid off. Their CB who got sent off was their best defender so that was a double result and the keepers fumble was the cherry on top. After that it was one way traffic and fully deserved the W and great to see the scoring shared about.

My oldest had so far managed to see 2 1-0 losses since we ended our 27 month hiatus so to get 1 goal was great but 4 was incredible. He was literally shaking with excitement which was lovely. I dare not tell him we are playing again tomorrow. Will have to get in touch with Kay about signing him up as a JB as he is defo invested.

Won’t comment on the game too much but I do want to give Waldron a mention as feel he deserved a goal. His movement trying to get between the defenders looks class and Ralph picked him out a couple of times but we really need a midfielder to be picking him out a little more often. Once Powell is back, that may allow Bridge in an AMC role or maybe Coker could be the difference. Morton could maybe a touch more advanced and he did put in some lovely balls, as proved by the 2nd. Crowther looked class again so the 3 newbies will all add plenty to us and great to get them on board ahead of next seasons promotion push.

I don't mind posters on here being a little contrary, but advocating so forcefully for the opposition (particularly this shower of **** managed by Tommy Assclown Widdrington) is somewhat vexing.

Back