• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Altrincham

From the Altrincham fans forum:

A fair outcome. They dominated the game and we never got to grips with their left winger Bridge. That's the third consecutive game in which we have scored the opening goal and then lost. We never looked like salvaging anything during that second half and merely mustered one tame shot on target from Conn-Clarke (who was our sole hope up front).

Astonishingly we took the lead then barely left our half after that in the first half. Southend just kept coming down our LHS & throwing crosses towards Cardwell & Dackers & it was inevitable they’d pick up the second pieces sooner or later. They also pressed us really well for the first hour-we couldn’t get out. The one thought was that all the crosses they put along our six yard line there might have been second thoughts with Ross fit (which he will be soon).

Second half as they naturally dropped off we had a lot more of the ball but it was largely in front of them & as long as they kept their shape & shuttled across we didn’t really open them up. Mooney looked lively when he came on tbf-if we could just pay 6000 people to boo him every game he’d be bang up for it no doubt.

From the Altrincham fans forum:

A fair outcome. They dominated the game and we never got to grips with their left winger Bridge. That's the third consecutive game in which we have scored the opening goal and then lost. We never looked like salvaging anything during that second half and merely mustered one tame shot on target from Conn-Clarke (who was our sole hope up front).

Astonishingly we took the lead then barely left our half after that in the first half. Southend just kept coming down our LHS & throwing crosses towards Cardwell & Dackers & it was inevitable they’d pick up the second pieces sooner or later. They also pressed us really well for the first hour-we couldn’t get out. The one thought was that all the crosses they put along our six yard line there might have been second thoughts with Ross fit (which he will be soon).

Second half as they naturally dropped off we had a lot more of the ball but it was largely in front of them & as long as they kept their shape & shuttled across we didn’t really open them up. Mooney looked lively when he came on tbf-if we could just pay 6000 people to boo him every game he’d be bang up for it no doubt.
that’s like our ‘balanced’ PMTs after we lose a game. Doom and gloom merchants could take note.

First half we had all of the ball. They only looked dangerous on the break. When we went in 2-1 up, I think tactics were to sit deeper and tell them to break through a block and they didn’t get close. Conn-Clarke looked a good player and we did well to get tight and physical on him.

We pressed and ran harder than we have done for a while. That’s the main difference between this win and those losses a few weeks ago.

Crowther, cards and dackers were great. Wes, even without the goal was the best I’ve seen him for a long time. But Ralph was motm - brilliant today.

Discussions about 10 point deduction and play off chances are about as futile as asking Napster to get a round in at the bar. None are happening. Get over it, we need to do enough to stay up, finalise the takeover and prepare for next season.
Napster....prove him wrong so I can continue dreaming about a play off berth!

Another 3 points in the bag, I just wish we wouldn't make it hard for ourselves by having to come from behind. A lot has been said about Cav Miley and his 'giveaways', but it's worth mentioning that you just don't have the time out that he endured, and then come back as if he'd never been away. It has taken Harry C some games to get up to his best, and so it will be for Cav.

I thought we missed Ollie Kensdale tonight. Crowther did incredibly well stepping into the breach, but Ollie adds that something else, but I'm being over critical probably. I was really pleased that Jack Bridge was throwing the crosses in early first half, it's a shame Waldron wasn't there to benefit from it all. The prospect of playing Harry and Dackers next to each other didn't impress me too much as they are too similar in their style of play. I'm guessing that Danny W was being rested ready for Oldham, likewise Morton. I was highly impressed with Noir's work rate tonight, he ran his socks off, but how I wish he would shoot at the end of it.

One plea to Kev and co, please think about changing the point of attack down the flanks sometimes. Currently all passes lead to the left and eventually we ran out of productiveness out there. Maybe it was because Gus hadn't trained before playing this week, but it would be really nice to give oppo defenders more to think about on both sides of the pitch.

So on to Oldham with bags full of confidence and probably a need to take your big coat cos it's always freezing up there. I'm really pleased we won by the way, but not as orgasmic as some post match reports on here.

Three wins in eight days. Some really good football, eight goals scored and NLS nonsense silenced at last. Football has always gone in cycles and so have seasons....

Many good things last night. Crowther takes over the Kensadle role with ease and wins my player of the month award. Dackers carried on the good work from Saturday but Ralph gets my MOM. Launched himself into tackles/lose balls, covered many yards and allows Wes and Jack a lot of luxury time.

Obviously not the start we wanted but fair play to to Conn-Clarke. Reminded me of Freddy, shift it a yard then buried a low shot with pace beyond the reach of Colin. I'm not into the who lost it last inquests because just like Saturday they still had a lot to do before it ends up in the net

After that is was mainly in their half but without really testing the keeper. Despite plenty of corners, JB's failure to get any past the near post was shockingly poor play. With Crowther already giving the NL kittens at corners plus Cardwell and Dackers we absolutely need to make more of our delivery.

Apart from all that we had a great spell 10 mins before h/t. Once again our two forwards link up to create a goal. That has been the most pleasing thing for me in the last week. Just a while ago some on here didn't allow them any time to settle and know each others game. Well goals cheer everyone up and put extra pace and work in players legs. Then it gets better because we don't settle for 1-1. Just like Saturday we take advantage of rattled team and get second. Nice play by Wes and Ralph and cool finish. How many of you missed it because you were ordering a drink ?

Second half we are always in control but I would rather us finish it than risk a late Mooney match spoiler. Felt sorry for Jack Wood as not one player even attempted to get him in the game. Yes its game management but time waste keep ball all down the left meant there was nervous "don't throw this away" feeling in the last 10.

Ref gave one of the bizarrest Yellows ever. On Colin because the ball ball threw it back wrong? 10 seconds after KO he missed an obvious corner and they did of good job of conning him into non existent fails. You could hear them scream like little girls and every time the ref bought it

Shame the ref never see any of the 15 two hand pushes on Dackers the only one he gave was when Dackers literally had his shirt pulled of his back.

Well done to the Alty 31. Not sure were their directors were. The front away row had just one woman sitting on her own. Never seen that before. Felt sorry for her so I had a nice chat (with my reputation). Turns out she was the their CEO and apparently the Chairman was hiding somewhere up the back......A bit like their team on the night.

An afterthought, can we turn down the music from the West stand speakers please? I know they've been fixed now but it would help to turn off the music before the ref blows his 'let go' whistle and I would also be able to hear the others around me. No pleasing some RHB!!
We thought that at the end - and what on earth was "Give Peace a Chance" doing blaring out?!

An afterthought, can we turn down the music from the West stand speakers please? I know they've been fixed now but it would help to turn off the music before the ref blows his 'let go' whistle and I would also be able to hear the others around me. No pleasing some RHB!!
Another vote for that from East. So loud now before and after the game. Annoying before and makes conversation difficult, but especially bad after as it drowns the atmosphere out which is a shame when we win.

I was having a Demi love-in last night so couldn't be constructive, I'm better now 🤣

Firstly, I thought it was a really good game of football. A really enjoyable watch. I thought our press (something I've said we've missed for a while) was back to it's best last night. It's imperative we have that in full flow for us to dominate and win games. It needed to be on point because you could see that if teams don't do that against Altrincham, they'll play it round you easily. We stopped them playing wonderfully well.

I'm still a little undecided on the midfield at the moment. Cav isn't himself and we still have a real lack of firepower and willingness to shoot with the current crop, despite Wes's goal. Husin, whilst a good player, refuses to shoot. I really don't know why. Hopefully, when he bangs one in, it will give him the confidence to do so again.

I'm trying not to talk about Crowther too much as we know scouts come on here for their shopping. He whispers, "What a fantastic signing! That's what you call a wow signing Mr Brown!"

Bridge was exceptional last night, as was Ralph, who was overlapping continuously. We are at our best when that happens. I felt they doubled up less on Bridge last night and I think that was due to actually having an out-ball down the right. Demi and Gus worked brilliantly together on that side, the former having another storming game out of position. This made Altrincham shuffle over, which freed up Bridge.

Cardwell looks super sharp again. When he's playing, we notice how good he is but it's when he isn't playing you notice him even more. As soon as he went off, our whole press was different. We never looked as imposing up top. He's a top player when fit.

I thought the whole team contributed to a great performance against a really good side. 10 points from 12 is amazing, especially when some fans were talking about relegation.

Bring on Oldham! Utb!

Collin 6 good handling, not much to do
GSM 6 bit anonymous after a lay off
Crowther 8 great signing, Lopata love going on already
Demi 7 experience shows , legs coping well
Ralph 8 a fit Ralph could play higher, player of the season
Miley 4 second goal he has given away in 2 weeks, Kev won’t drop the overrated one
Husin 6 so much ability but unfortunately most of it goes left and right
Bridge 6much more direct first half, back to tying himself in knots second half, crossing poor
Wezzz 8 quality on the ball, links well with Bridge, how the manager drops him is beyond me compared to Miley….scored a decent goal as well
Cards 7 much sharper this week and scored
Dackers 7 6 foot 6 , timing for headers is lacking but great skill and ability elsewhere , should start every game imo as getting better
TBF ... He hasn't been great recently and has looked very lazy

Last night he was back to his old self

We thought that at the end - and what on earth was "Give Peace a Chance" doing blaring out?!

Another vote for that from East. So loud now before and after the game. Annoying before and makes conversation difficult, but especially bad after as it drowns the atmosphere out which is a shame when we win.
Apologies about this.

My wife was taken ill before the game and I was not able to attend (frustratingly)! Regretfully, due to being in A and E I did not manage to get the message across to Jazzy, who stepped in very kindly at the last minute with regards to the sound levels as they do seem to be higher than normal. Please accept our apologies and know that we will have it right for next week.

Last edited:
Back