• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Altrincham

Bridge 8 - absolute menace down their left. Understand the frustration sometimes with people wanting him to get the cross in, but he's on his weaker side out there, he gets doubled-up on, and he put in a tonne of crosses last night that nobody got on the end of
I agree. I'm surprised we don't flip him over to the over wing, once they start doubling up on him, though ?

Collin 6 good handling, not much to do
GSM 6 bit anonymous after a lay off
Crowther 8 great signing, Lopata love going on already
Demi 7 experience shows , legs coping well
Ralph 8 a fit Ralph could play higher, player of the season
Miley 4 second goal he has given away in 2 weeks, Kev won’t drop the overrated one
Husin 6 so much ability but unfortunately most of it goes left and right
Bridge 6much more direct first half, back to tying himself in knots second half, crossing poor
Wezzz 8 quality on the ball, links well with Bridge, how the manager drops him is beyond me compared to Miley….scored a decent goal as well
Cards 7 much sharper this week and scored
Dackers 7 6 foot 6 , timing for headers is lacking but great skill and ability elsewhere , should start every game imo as getting better
Im sorry, youve written plenty of nonsense over the years but this is right up there. Admittedly he has been off his game a bit recently and has been guilty of giving the ball away a few times including last night. However he offers so much more to the team with his passing probably being his weak point. But his break up play including twice last night second half with Alty on the counter attack is worth his place alone. Anyone who thinks he is overrated knows zero about football or has never watched him play. Appreciate its all about opinions but you have this one massively wrong. for the record is JD had put a proper tackle in last night then they wouldnt have broken away but youve ignored that

Watched on tele, no sound from the awe-inspiring NL tv, so doubled up with Radio Essex commentary, 20 seconds ahead.
Little to add to the excellent posts on here, except a call out to Hussin, who I thought had a very good game (I too wish he would shoot)

Top left of screen there’s a button “Unmute” that needs clicking every time - then you get BBCEssex with the stream!

Im sorry, youve written plenty of nonsense over the years but this is right up there. Admittedly he has been off his game a bit recently and has been guilty of giving the ball away a few times including last night. However he offers so much more to the team with his passing probably being his weak point. But his break up play including twice last night second half with Alty on the counter attack is worth his place alone. Anyone who thinks he is overrated knows zero about football or has never watched him play. Appreciate its all about opinions but you have this one massively wrong. for the record is JD had put a proper tackle in last night then they wouldnt have broken away but youve ignored that
Unfortunately Wiggy, to draw attention and responses, is incapable of criticising without being disrespectful. Some do think that maybe Miley should be dropped but suggest it in a more measured way. Every post of Wiggy’s will have at least one incendiary comment that I’m afraid gets us biting.

Just find it sad that someone feels the need to consistently do it.

Given two goals away in the last two games.....never going to rectify that by scoring is he as only goes backwards and sideways?

I agree. I'm surprised we don't flip him over to the over wing, once they start doubling up on him, though ?

It’s unlikely to change much.

People have this misconception that when Bridge gets doubled or even tripled up, the oppo have out tactic’d us and that we need to retaliate by changing our own tactics, which isn’t the case. Instead, them overloading our left side plays directly into our hands, as it leaves space for Fonguck, Noor and Miley to exploit.

It’s similar to playing out from the back, you draw players in to create that playable space behind. Sadly, through lack of movement/confidence or simply good opponents that doesn’t always happen, When it works, it not only looks good but carves the opposition open. It happened time and again last night.

Once it does happen though, Noor, Wes & Miley need to attack that space more often rather than passing back/across the line and hoping for someone else to do it. That’s what lets us down from this position the most. Noor and Wes especially have shown what they are capabale of when they drive forward purposefully, you have to wonder why it’s not done more often. If they are on their game, we punish teams. When they’re not, we look disjointed & repetitive with it.

Given two goals away in the last two games.....never going to rectify that by scoring is he as only goes backwards and sideways?
if that is your honest opinion then you are clueless and dont understand football. Saturday it was Morton that gave the ball away for the Aldershot goal not Miley, but we have a defence who have not prevented them scoring either and Colin arguably should have saved that one last night. But Cav also brings so much to the team. if you cant see that then i dont know what to say anymore. We are a worse side without Miley in it for sure.

Mistakes happen. He hasn’t been on his best form recently, and personally I think he has looked a yard off the pace, which is understandable after a lengthy lay off. I mentioned in the pre-match thread that I’d consider resting him and once he gave the ball away and they scored, I felt fully justified in my comments.

However, after a shaky 20 minutes, in which he gave the ball away a few more times, he came roaring back into the game and broke their play up just like the old Cav. I certainly felt like he proved me wrong when I walked out last night.

if that is your honest opinion then you are clueless and dont understand football. Saturday it was Morton that gave the ball away for the Aldershot goal not Miley, but we have a defence who have not prevented them scoring either and Colin arguably should have saved that one last night. But Cav also brings so much to the team. if you cant see that then i dont know what to say anymore. We are a worse side without Miley in it for sure.

Spot on shrimperjon. Just over a week ago the likes of free flowing Aldershot and Altrincham had scored 15 more goals than us. Then we get posts like Colin had nothing to do but Miley needs to be dropped.

So either Colin is the best in the NL or our team set up and possession game works defensively. Most of us fans know that if we had had a Cav in our last season in L2 we would still be a EFL club.

For those that don't understand the game you are just going to have to suffer the odd bad pass because the benefits far our way the loss.

Spot on shrimperjon. Just over a week ago the likes of free flowing Aldershot and Altrincham had scored 15 more goals than us. Then we get posts like Colin had nothing to do but Miley needs to be dropped.

So either Colin is the best in the NL or our team set up and possession game works defensively. Most of us fans know that if we had had a Cav in our last season in L2 we would still be a EFL club.

For those that don't understand the game you are just going to have to suffer the odd bad pass because the benefits far our way the loss.
Says the only man standing that said Rat Martin was a good guy!

It's been said many times that as a side we are very easy to work out the way we play.With players like Bridge and Miley they can be pressured in losing the ball.Unfortunatly last 2 games Miley has been caught and we have been lucky not to have punished more.We can't afford for this to continue so hopefully Kev and staff will rectifier this problem,we definitely don't want this to happen on Saturday

Why is it that if someone has a different opinion to you they are abused as being clueless and don't understand football ? Or is it the person rather than the comment you have personal issues with ? For weeks I've heard people around me screaming at Maher to take Miley off, call him slow, call him lazy, criticise his passing, criticise his decision making, his lack of creativity. There were some very angry people in the Hall last night. He clearly hasn't been at the races for sometime now and it's an exaggeration to say whether we are better with or without him in the side. Only stats will go some way to proving that. But he is replaceable like any other player not performing to the standards we require. People are entitled to their opinions. You judging them and claiming they know less than you about football is arrogant and embarrassing to be honest and stops many zoners from posting what they really want to say on here.

It's been said many times that as a side we are very easy to work out the way we play.With players like Bridge and Miley they can be pressured in losing the ball.Unfortunatly last 2 games Miley has been caught and we have been lucky not to have punished more.We can't afford for this to continue so hopefully Kev and staff will rectifier this problem,we definitely don't want this to happen on Saturday
youve picked out Miley and Bridge. Add to that Husin, JD, Morton, defo Kensdale etc. Weve been caught out recently being put under pressure, which ironically is one of our strengths against opposition. The good thing is the last two games weve been good enough to win the games. But agree we need to stop these errors but its unfair to single out individuals when others have also been guilty

Which goal did he give away last night @wiggy? If you mean their goal then it was Demi that lost the tussle in the middle of the park from where they launched their goal scoring attack.

Which goal did he give away last night @wiggy? If you mean their goal then it was Demi that lost the tussle in the middle of the park from where they launched their goal scoring attack.
Miley slipped a mis pass 60/40 to Demi when he could have passed it to feet, doing it all the time at the moment but the Miley SZ gang are out in force so get on with it!

Think you're right , could have been more aggressive but can't afford losing him at the moment to a dodgy red from refs that seem so random with decisions. To be fair JD isn't one to pull out of a tough tackle so I think he was probably being careful. Plus, looking at those highlights, it was a much worse pass than I thought last night at the game. It was a 50\50 hospital ball -5yds adrift from close range when it should have been to feet. (Although I may be a tad biased,) I think cav was the culprit there. Pleased cav went on to have a good game though.

Back