• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings Southend United 2-1 Altrincham

Apologies about this.

My wife was taken ill before the game and I was not able to attend (frustratingly)! Regretfully, due to being in A and E I did not manage to get the message across to Jazzy who stepped in very kindly at the last minute with regards to the sound levels as they do seem to be higher than normal. Please accept our apologies and know that we will have it right for next week.
Thanks mate, and I hope your wife is making a good recovery. I never thought I'd reach a point in my supporting life when I would want to be able to hear my wife at a game rather than the music! It all comes to those who wait it seems.

Collin 6 good handling, not much to do
GSM 6 bit anonymous after a lay off
Crowther 8 great signing, Lopata love going on already
Demi 7 experience shows , legs coping well
Ralph 8 a fit Ralph could play higher, player of the season
Miley 4 second goal he has given away in 2 weeks, Kev won’t drop the overrated one
Husin 6 so much ability but unfortunately most of it goes left and right
Bridge 6much more direct first half, back to tying himself in knots second half, crossing poor
Wezzz 8 quality on the ball, links well with Bridge, how the manager drops him is beyond me compared to Miley….scored a decent goal as well
Cards 7 much sharper this week and scored
Dackers 7 6 foot 6 , timing for headers is lacking but great skill and ability elsewhere , should start every game imo as getting better
Can’t disagree too much with the rest of the rating or comment for Miley but I do disagree with this bit. He’s not overrated, he’s massively underperforming for some reason (hopefully just temporarily).

I found it quite an entertaining game -and for once I wasn't too concerned when we went a goal behind as we were far better then them on the night.

Poor goal for us to concede - not sure about people blaming JD on here. As far as I could see it was a poor ball from Cav and Collin will feel he should have pushed it around the post.

Dackers and Crowther were superb ( the latter - what a superb find. Not often you find a centre half so good with his feet at this level). Bridge was a danger all night and what an engine JD has.

A good night's work all round.

With Collin’s yellow, wasn’t it one of the Alty’s fans that threw the ball in beyond his reach, hence the Blues players reactions?

And the East Lino missed the most blatant foul throw ever. His heel practically touched his behind.

A very thorough performance from us, and nobody from the Alty side could have any complaints.

From start to finish we never lost control of the game. People will say we tailed off in the second half, but what we did was keep our shape and show exactly why we have the best defensive record in the division. If we’d have hit them for another on the counter attack (Cardwell’s slide ball that just drifted past the post) it would have been a masterclass.

The only real negative from the game, was the quality of of final ball at times. It’s not something that is new, we’ve struggled to beat the first man for a while. I’d like to see this worked on. Alty seemed quite a short side, and we have some big old lumps currently. We could/should have been more dangerous from dead ball situations.

Echo what others have said, Crowther top drawer, JD rolling back the years, Wes was a brilliant link, Cards & Dackers were immense up front (the latter having his best game to date).

MOTM for me was Ralph. He was everywhere down the left side, and seamlessly went from last ditch tackling to all out attack. Read the game very well last night. Even when Mooney came on, I thought he might have trouble against the fresh legs, but he made Mooney climb inside his pocket, and rumour has it, he may still be there today.

MOTM for me was Ralph. He was everywhere down the left side, and seamlessly went from last ditch tackling to all out attack. Read the game very well last night. Even when Mooney came on, I thought he might have trouble against the fresh legs, but he made Mooney climb inside his pocket, and rumour has it, he may still be there today.

I think he's doing all he can to get away from Southend.

I thought Cav had a strong game last night, won balls he had no right to and is looking more like his composed self, dont get the criticism on here. Lad's got blue running through his veins and will prove any doubters wrong real soon, probably have a starring role up at Oldham this week.
Agree with another poster on this thread, yes he gave the ball away with a misplaced pass but there was so much more to do for Alty, was suprised it crept in from that angle though i was a long way from it.
A regular top performer is Cav, i back him and we cant be giving him a rest.

I thought Cav had a strong game last night, won balls he had no right to and is looking more like his composed self, dont get the criticism on here. Lad's got blue running through his veins and will prove any doubters wrong real soon, probably have a starring role up at Oldham this week.
Agree with another poster on this thread, yes he gave the ball away with a misplaced pass but there was so much more to do for Alty, was suprised it crept in from that angle though i was a long way from it.
A regular top performer is Cav, i back him and we cant be giving him a rest.

Good post. There also seems to be a myth on here that it was Miley who gave the ball away for the Aldershot goal. It wasn't it was Morton.

Anyway they are pointless claims as team concedes goal not a player. Even if they miss a pass ask yourself what were his options?.....Especially as row Z is now frowned upon.

Another performance where we showed resilience and character to come back from a goal down. Interesting reading the comments posted previously from the Altrincham fans that they've now taken the lead and lost three times in a row; we've now had back-to-back come-from-behind wins against play-off contenders.

That said it was a big frustration to go behind as Altrincham didn't need to work for it, unlike Aldershot on Saturday. Collectively it was a poor goal to concede but, having built up some confidence and belief in the last few games, it didn't matter.

In particular, I thought Miley showed a lot of resilience last night. He played a part in that Altrincham goal, but he later made an outstanding sliding challenge to stop the goalscorer Conn-Clarke from getting in and he fully played his part in us not looking like we'd concede again after going 1-0 down.

Nice link-up by Dackers and Cardwell for the equaliser, and it's really good to see that Kev and the coaching team now have real options up front, with Waldron certainly waiting in the wings. They can now tailor our attack to the opposition we might face, with each of the three providing different attributes. It was another good close-range finish from Cardwell, who was unfortunate to drag a shot across the face of goal after the break that would've put the game to bed.

Fonguck being restored to the starting line-up gave Husin more opportunity to drive forwards and express himself in the centre of midfield; Husin had a couple of optimistic shots from distance in the first half, so it was probably a bit of a surprise that he elected to pass and over-hit it when presented with a better opportunity in the second. Fonguck also delivered the second goal on the stroke of half-time.

It always appeared that we were in control in the second period; we were content to let Altrincham have the ball in front of us and they didn't appear likely pose too many problems, until Mooney came on.

It was interesting that Maher introduced Wood again as a substitute and we switched to a 4-2-4 formation, as mentioned by @ShrimperStats after the Aldershot game. That certainly wasn't the move of a manager seeking to hold onto a 2-1 win; he was pressing for more. I felt on this occasion it did expose the centre of midfield, and JD as one of two, rather than three, centre-backs didn't fill me with as much confidence as I may have had with Crowther and Kensdale or Taylor there (which isn't to diminish another fine overall display from JD).

Three wins on the trot, unbeaten in four, and you can see the confidence has been restored ahead of a challenging fixture on Saturday, but one I'm sure the squad won't fear.

Good post. There also seems to be a myth on here that it was Miley who gave the ball away for the Aldershot goal. It wasn't it was Morton.

Anyway they are pointless claims as team concedes goal not a player. Even if they miss a pass ask yourself what were his options?.....Especially as row Z is now frowned upon.
Myth ? Did Morton even start ?

Overall we played very well. It is worrying how many chance we need to work the keeper and actually score. We hammered them 2-1. We have few players who are clinical or naturally have "goalscoring boots". That said perhaps if they did, and had there all round play, they wouldn't here. Cards, Waldron, potentially Dackers are all a goal threat, plus Crowther who was excellent.

I definitely think some players are benfitting from the ability to rotate. Wes had a rest Sat and was very good last night. Ralph was excellent and Bridge far more direct. There was a lot to be positive about.

Also seemed to me that Wood was used in exactly the same role as Wes but on the right. Maybe that's the current thinking.

Oldham a big game on Sat!

Watched on tele, no sound from the awe-inspiring NL tv, so doubled up with Radio Essex commentary, 20 seconds ahead.
Little to add to the excellent posts on here, except a call out to Hussin, who I thought had a very good game (I too wish he would shoot)

Three wins on the bounce, lovely stuff.

Thought the first 15 mins was shaping up similar to the Aldershot game. We struggled a bit in defensive transitions when Altrincham turned the ball over, and that's how they bagged their goal and then almost got another, but it wasn't happening quite as often as it happened against Aldershot, as Altrincham's front three weren't pressing us quite as relentlessly. A bit of a shame that lessons seemed not to have been learned from the weekend there, but can cut a bit of slack with a patched-up defence and I do wonder whether that counter attack would have resulted in a goal if Crowther had been on the right-hand side of our defence as opposed to JD.

Great to see us claw it back though. Thought we became utterly dominant from 15-20 mins onward though, and glad to see that we scored two good goals eventually. I do think we are lacking quality in final ball and chance creation and perhaps some shopping in the summer will help that but fortunately we created enough chances last night that at least one or two of them had to go in.

Collin 6 - little to do
JD 7 - so much admiration for him, and his experience out there is a real boost
Crowther 8 MOM - imperious. Won everything and slotted into Kendale's role well
Ralph 8 - faultless, and superb in transition from defence to attack
GSM 6 - solid but unspectacular. Would like to see him bomb forward a bit more on that side
Bridge 8 - absolute menace down their left. Understand the frustration sometimes with people wanting him to get the cross in, but he's on his weaker side out there, he gets doubled-up on, and he put in a tonne of crosses last night that nobody got on the end of
Miley 6 - generally solid and a couple of good tackles, balanced out by the sloppy loss of possession for their goal. Still vital to us, but does seem a little off-colour at the moment.
Husin 6 - does so many things well. Reads the game, intercepts, but is really lacking in some decisions-making and with the quality of his final ball
Fonguck 7 - good game, excellent finish for his goal, and worked in tandem with Bridge excellently down the left
Cardwell 8 - another goal for him, and well-deserved. Led the line well, pressed hard, won plenty of balls in the air, and even worked the channels occasionally
Dackers 7 - thought he had his best game for us yet. Lovely knock-down for Cardwell's goal, and made a menace of himself. Would like to see him time his jumps better in order to make the most of his height and win more in the air

Subs:
Wood and Waldron 6 - not really long enough for either to make an impact, and we had taken our foot well off the gas by then anyway

Back