• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 0-2 Southend United

Yeh in Halifax's hands. They play mid-table Eastleigh first and not sure the Spitfires will be that bothered. Ebbsfleet though are slugging it out for survival so Halifax could draw a blank against them.
No they play Eastleigh last. Both Ebbsfleet and Oldham still need points for different reasons so a couple of draws (at worst) would take it to the last game with us playing at home and both Halifax and Aldershot playing away.
This could be mighty close.

No they play Eastleigh last. Both Ebbsfleet and Oldham still need points for different reasons so a couple of draws (at worst) would take it to the last game with us playing at home and both Halifax and Aldershot playing away.
If we beat Rochdale, Oldham can't get past us on gd, but it's a great point - they'll still be battling and could take three points off Halifax.

If Ebbsfleet scrap a win off Halifax.... as you say they're motivated, then Halifax need to beat Eastleigh. It's the Spitfires being in mid table I'm worried about with a lack of motivation. But...if Halifax play them last in three very quick turnaround games then the Shaymen might just run out of steam.

I can't see Aldershot taking four points off their games against Gateshead and Daggers.

Blimey. What I'm surprised at tbh is that we'll all be glued to results right to the end. Well done Blues for keeping it exciting to the end. Very proud of them.

If we beat Rochdale, Oldham can't get past us on gd, but it's a great point - they'll still be battling and could take three points off Halifax.

If Ebbsfleet scrap a win off Halifax.... as you say they're motivated, then Halifax need to beat Eastleigh. It's the Spitfires being in mid table I'm worried about with a lack of motivation. But...if Halifax play them last in three very quick turnaround games then the Shaymen might just run out of steam.

I can't see Aldershot taking four points off their games against Gateshead and Daggers.

Blimey. What I'm surprised at tbh is that we'll all be glued to results right to the end. Well done Blues for keeping it exciting to the end. Very proud of them.

17 in the Tilly era, wasn't it?
Just had a look and we had a run of 17 unbeaten in League and Cup in 2011 but that included 5 cup games.

Just League matches the best I can find is 16 from 9th Jan 1932 to 29th August 1932. 14 games at the end of season and 2 games at the start of following season.

The same season 1931/2 we started with 15 unbeaten as well.

Just had a look and we had a run of 17 unbeaten in League and Cup in 2011 but that included 5 cup games.

Just League matches the best I can find is 16 from 9th Jan 1932 to 29th August 1932. 14 games at the end of season and 2 games at the start of following season.

The same season 1931/2 we started with 15 unbeaten as well.
You can’t include across seasons surely?

Great performance! I felt we had a lot of control, dominated for large spells and probably should’ve scored more goals.

Let’s see what the mid-week results bring, but whatever happens next week, it’s been an incredible season. 2024/25’s going to be a lot of fun!

I thought Waldron was excellent today, and I was desperate for him to get his goal in the end, which deservedly came. If he keeps getting into the right areas, the chances and goals will follow.

You can’t include across seasons surely?
I suppose it gets complicated that way.

Either way 1931/32 was a great season for us unbeaten run wise. 15 at the beginning and 14 at the end. Wouldn't be Southend without the classic wobble around when the Christmas decorations went up until Valentines day.

Great performance! I felt we had a lot of control, dominated for large spells and probably should’ve scored more goals.

Let’s see what the mid-week results bring, but whatever happens next week, it’s been an incredible season. 2024/25’s going to be a lot of fun!

I thought Waldron was excellent today, and I was desperate for him to get his goal in the end, which deservedly came. If he keeps getting into the right areas, the chances and goals will follow.
I thought Waldron looked really good today and should have had 2 in the first half but for some last ditch clearances. As others have said he's going to hopefully be a great player with a full pre-season and continued experience of a full time set up.

Him and Cardwell up front should on paper look like a good pairing. I still think we need to add 1 up front depending on the 2 loaness returning to their parent clubs. I can see Dackers signing for us if released by Salford (I'm sure he's contract is up at the end of this season)

I'm not quite sure how Waldron didn't score a hat-trick in the 1st half & a couple more in the 2nd half.

Looking forward to seeing the highlights - where there fouls on their goalie or is it now "the modern game" where you can't contest a ball with the goalie?

You can only beat the team in front of you - and Fylde were poor I thought - perhaps tired from Thursday night?

Agree with the comment above, Cardwell & Waldron works for me.

Fans gave Powell a warm welcome back. Wood looked good for the short period he was on.

As for Dackers - it's a "thank you but no" from me.

Entertainment Value: 2 stars

Fair Score: 6 -1

I'm not quite sure how Waldron didn't score a hat-trick in the 1st half & a couple more in the 2nd half.

Looking forward to seeing the highlights - where there fouls on their goalie or is it now "the modern game" where you can't contest a ball with the goalie?

You can only beat the team in front of you - and Fylde were poor I thought - perhaps tired from Thursday night?

Agree with the comment above, Cardwell & Waldron works for me.

Fans gave Powell a warm welcome back. Wood looked good for the short period he was on.

As for Dackers - it's a "thank you but no" from me.

Entertainment Value: 2 stars

Fair Score: 6 -1

First 'foul' on the goalie possibly, the one ruled out for Miley didn't look like a foul to me. And one in second half didn't look like a foul either. Hopefully highlights will enable another viewing.

Did Wood look good? Not sure he did much, but then he only had 8 mins.

Is Miley suspended next week after yellow today? Superb performance again today, but seems to get booked every game at the moment

17 rings a bell for me
We’ve had 17-match unbeaten runs in all competitions twice in the past 20 years, under Tilly leading up to the 2005 Football League Trophy final and then in autumn 2011 under Sturrock.

Longest unbeaten runs (all competitions):
17: 2004/05
17: 2011/12
16: 1931/32-1932/33
15: 1931/32
15: 2023/24
14: 1971/72
14: 2012/13

Great game to watch though a few of ours looked to be running through treacle at times such was the state of the pitch and the fatigue in those legs.

Should have been a much higher goal score for us, Waldron was a bit wasteful with some of the chances that fell his way and Fylde's defence pulled out a couple of great blocks too. Don't forget they hit the post early on too so credit to them in the 1st half. 2nd we just stepped things up a gear and took things smoothly out of their reach.

Another great game for Cav, showing him to be back to his best, with a lovely assist for Cardwell's goal and one ruled out on dodgy grounds. Lovely to see Callum back out there playing again too. He does offer something different and scares defences. Would love to see him stay. Thought Morton and Coker were both excellent too.

Good all round performance 👏

Collin - 7.5
Gus - 7.5
Taylor - 7.5
Kensdale - 7
Ralph - 7
Bridge - 7.5
Miley - 8.5, MOTM
Morton - 8
Coker - 8
Waldron - 7
Cardwell - 7.5

Subs:
Powell for Waldron - 7
Dackers for Cardwell - 7
Wood for Coker - n/a

Thought the ground was great, some fantastic facilities. We got in Bradley's - that was honestly so good. Only criticism was the leg room in the seats was poor.

In with a sniff but unfortunately i believe those nil nil draws will be our downfall, still been a great season mostly under duress because off the ratfink. next season will be be up there im sure. Playing before sell out crowds as well in a renewed stadium. Some make up on the old girl and she will look fine .After next week you can all sit back relax and save your dough for next season, its going to be one hell of a ride.

Back