• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Post-Match Thread and Ratings AFC Fylde 0-2 Southend United

Have been a bit absent recently (not by choice) but I’ll be there Saturday.

We just have to show our total appreciation for what Kev, the Amigos, and the players (and ground and office staff - who deserve to join in the lap of honour IMO) have achieved this season.

To be still in with a sniff of the playoffs with only one of our fixtures to go really socks it to some on here who were far too quick to poo-poo our chances. That’s true whether we ultimately make it or not - having the chance still at this stage shows those of us who kept faith with this target were totally right to do so.

The nay-sayers also unfairly ridiculed others who were determined to look optimistically to the playoffs instead of ‘let’s just consolidate in mid-table and try properly next season’. What a load of twaddle that always was.

Still, never mind - it’s a heck of an achievement already but can you imagine if we somehow sneak in next week? We would have to be sixteen games unbeaten by then. Absolutely nobody will want to play us. Exciting times! Just need Ron to do one, and the rosy picture will be complete.

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher believes it is ‘unbelievable’ the Shrimpers can still make the play-offs.

Read more on this story

Help with Echo links

Southend United boss Kevin Maher reacts to win at AFC Fylde​

SOUTHEND United boss Kevin Maher believes it is ‘unbelievable’ the Shrimpers can still make the play-offs. Blues are a point behind the top seven following this afternoon’s 2-0 win at AFC Fylde, and Maher feels it is an incredible achievement for his side to still be in contention.

“We’ll focus on ourselves and prepare the best we can to try and win our final game but it’s unbelievable what the players have done” said the Blues boss.

“We’d be on 75 points without the 10 point deduction and be entrenched in the play-offs - that’s despite the pre-season we had, the embargo and everything that’s happened”.

“We’re still going and if anything we’re getting stronger.”

Blues made it 15 games unbeaten with victory at Fylde And Maher thought the Shrimpers’ performance fully warranted all three points.

“It was thoroughly deserved today” said Maher. “We knew they played Thursday and it might came into play but it only comes into play if you play well yourself which we had to do.”

We just have to show our total appreciation for what Kev, the Amigos, and the players (and ground and office staff - who deserve to join in the lap of honour IMO) have achieved this season.
I
To be still in with a sniff of the playoffs with only one of our fixtures to go really socks it to some on here who were far too quick to poo-poo our chances. That’s true whether we ultimately make it or not - having the chance still at this stage shows those of us who kept faith with this target were totally right to do so.

The nay-sayers also unfairly ridiculed others who were determined to look optimistically to the playoffs instead of ‘let’s just consolidate in mid-table and try properly next season’. What a load of twaddle that always was.

Still, never mind - it’s a heck of an achievement already but can you imagine if we somehow sneak in next week? We would have to be sixteen games unbeaten by then. Absolutely nobody will want to play us. Exciting times! Just need Ron to do one, and the rosy picture will be complete.
I don’t think the players will do a lap of honour on Saturday if supporters come onto the pitch like the few Dick Heads at fylde did

Crikey Spaceman, your first post for over a week and most of it is having a go at other posters. I don't think many were ridiculing your optimism - quite the reverse in fact. Several posters said they loved your optimism but thought it was very unlikely but not impossible to make the play offs. It still is, but how great that our lads have taken it into the final week. Hopefully Halifax will be too knackered to get more than a couple of points from their remaining three games.

Mind you, as another poster said, everything could fall into place and we could then fail to beat the Dale! But that won't happen. COYB!!!!

I don’t think the players will do a lap of honour on Saturday if supporters come onto the pitch like the few Dick Heads at fylde did
I think any "lap" of honour we do will be better than the Fylde one. By the time they came back out after our heroes had been roundly applauded and cheered off the pitch, there were about 40 of their supporters left!

Not a classic but still some very good plus points. If any of you walked out on a Sunday morning and took one look at the pitch and felt the wind you would say don't f*** around with it, lets use our big boys up top.

In the world of over coaching and sometimes stubbornly sticking to game plans. Common football sense is not always applied to professional players and mangers. It was yesterday and done so very effectively. If you want top 3 and chance of the title next season then these are the sort of games you have to win. Fans have to accept that oppo, ground, pitch and weather can mean forget 11 pass moves. Just win the game.

Really please for DW, finally getting his goal. His earlier misses weren't as bad as some have suggested. Just like his assists v Wood he created the chances himself. yes he could have smashed the first but he clearly didn't expect some good defending. The second I thought he did well to get the chance past the keeper. Be interesting to see when the highlights come out.

Both goals were created by early no fuss crosses. Cav didn't even look up for the second. Both DW and HC will thrive on those. Neither of them want a delayed soft 9 iron of cross. They are not good at climbing over defenders and hitting the target but they do attack good areas and can finish with bit of space.

Good to see CP back after nearly 7 months. I would like to see him stay and I'm sure he would up his goal tally with better supply (fired in early on the floor in his case).

Bizarrely with week to go we are still in with the slimmest of chances. Shame one of those lost or drawn games wasn't postponed. Imagine we we were playing York or Wealdstone at home on Tuesday. We would be far more positive and attacking.

Still moving on as Ifs and buts don't win you anything and picking up on Spacemans post. Whilst some claimed mid table coasting and give everyone a fair go was the way to end a season. I dint agree for one second. Not only were we always in with shout. This unbeaten run is great summer boost for us. For our current players, anyone looking to sign, the amigos, COSU and most of all us fans......Who on that list isn't already thinking positive thoughts and not looking forward to next season.....Whatever league we are in :Winking:

In with a sniff but unfortunately i believe those nil nil draws will be our downfall, still been a great season mostly under duress because off the ratfink. next season will be be up there im sure. Playing before sell out crowds as well in a renewed stadium. Some make up on the old girl and she will look fine .After next week you can all sit back relax and save your dough for next season, its going to be one hell of a ride.
We’ve only had three nil-nils all season.

The one I’ll be ruing was only getting a point at Halifax back in September when 1-0 up against 10 men. If only we’d been able to keep a clean sheet then…

If only, the list could be endless. In reality we definitely have a top 3 side and with a little more depth in the squad, it will take two very good sides to stop us next season.

All this provided the Takeover is completed and a realisation that there are many things to do in addition to positive results on the pitch.

The one I’ll be ruing was only getting a point at Halifax back in September when 1-0 up against 10 men. If only we’d been able to keep a clean sheet then…
And for the last half hour they were under siege but we couldn’t finish them off. Every club rues individual moments over a season but after 46 games you are where you are with lucky results and missed opportunities evened out.

It's a massive ask to get that last play off spot but depends on what Ebbsfleet and Eastleigh can do.

I'd love it to go to the last day for the excitement.

Next season will be a special year for us. I can feel it.

Hopefully we hold on to our best players. I can't see the consortium wanting to sell anybody on the cheap like Ron.

Couldn’t be there yesterday but what a superb effort by the travelling shrimpers again. Not seen an official number but looked like 450-500 which all things considered is brilliant. COLSHITE took 925 to Crawley, £2 a ticket. Didnt even sell out. For those that travelled to Fylde you were justly rewarded

Another win and 15 unbeaten the best run but any side this season in the NL. Whilst there is still hope of the PO it’s unlikely although neither Aldershot or Halifax are doing that well at the moment and still have tough games to play. Regardless of whether we do scrape in or not it shouldn’t be seen as failure. What has been achieved by this squad under the most extreme circumstances is nothing short of remarkable. Everything is in place to push on next season and with a few quality additions we should be feared by all.

Pleased for Waldron yesterday, yes he could and should have scored more but it doesn’t always work like that but crucially he kept going kept getting in the right positions and eventually got his reward. Play to his strengths and he will score plenty next season

A great weekend away in the wintery north. We really do look like a side that can overcome any opposition currently, just wish the season was not coming to an end. That is now only 6 away league defeats all season and none since the January defeat at Chesterfield. If we could sneak into the playoffs, would fancy us as the form team. I have only missed 2 away games all season, Dagenham (covid) and Solihull Moors (late rearrangement). We should have got a hatful yesterday in awkward blustery conditions. But it did not matter and we looked so much more confident and assured than some earlier season wobbles. Kev has really found a decent starting eleven and expect no changes again next week. Sentiment may lead to a full game for Callum Powell which would be harsh on Danny Waldron.

Andeng-Ndi 7
Taylor 7.5
Kensdale 7.5
Ralph 7.5
Scott-Morriss 8
Coker 7
Miley 8
Morton 7
Bridge 7.5
Waldron 8
Cardwell 8.5 MOTM

Dackers 6
Powell 6.5
Wood 6

Harry Cardwell gets my MOTM for his work rate and appears to be in beast mode to get to 20 goals. No weak links yesterday though and a very efficient team performance. Aldershot are bottling it and will Halifax do likewise with no home games. You never know. UTB

General opinion is that a team going into the play-offs has a good chance if they are on a good run of form.

All the current play-off contenders are doing okay with perhaps the exception of Solihill Moors.

Interestingly Chesterfield are 5th from bottom ........... and we know who is top of the form table at the moment.

There are several games we could look at, and I agree this is definitely one of them.

Another was the Dorking away game. We should have been out of site by HT.

Both Barnet games, how we came away with nothing is still difficult to swallow. Same goes for the Bromley games too.

One thing I truly believe, we have very rarely been outplayed or outclassed by anyone in this division.

IF the miracle happens next Saturday, we’ll go into the playoffs 16 unbeaten… how many of those others will fancy playing against us right now?

Back