• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

The Matt Harrold WTF thread

To be honest, the only way his performances could go is up. I was impressed when he ran the ball straight past the two Gillingham CBs and ended up through on goal, although his other chances... they could have fallen to any striker.

I feel bad for Charlie McDonald, to be honest, because Leon will obviously be a starter from now on. I guess we play the waiting game until Matt either hits his pre-season form or Tilly realises he can't actually finish in a competitive match.

I can appreciate the... optimistic sentiments expressed in this thread, but... I'm still honestly not impressed. Que sera, sera, I guess. :p

I thought that Harrold was excellent today. Hope to see it continue!

Also it was great to see on match report on the Gillingham website that the hard working "Dave Harrold" got a mention?!?!? Surely he's a snooker player from Stoke?!?!?! :hilarious:

- G

I liked his reaction when he missed the second of his real chances - sat there and kept smacking the floor. First time I've seen any hint of passion from him.

Ridiculous comment! He may lack ability but he never lacks passion or commitment.

Well done Matt Harrold, for putting in consistently good performances this season, and, more incredibly, starting to win the boo-boys round.

Glad to see people are coming around to my way of thinking.

Ridiculous comment! He may lack ability but he never lacks passion or commitment.

Well done Matt Harrold, for putting in consistently good performances this season, and, more incredibly, starting to win the boo-boys round.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he hasn't got any passion (I'm assuming you need at least SOME to make it as a pro) but I'd just like to see it from him every so often.

I've always quite liked him but I my opinion, with his laid-back manner on the pitch, I was never sure if he actaully gave a toss or not. I can see that he does now!!!

He's either found his level or improved. For me there is no way he's a championship striker yet, but this season he has shown a great improvement in terms of performances. The goal i've enjoyed the most this season was his against Watford purely because of how much he wanted it, his celebration that day showed a lot of passion too. I like hi and it's nice to hear as many boos when his name is announced. Also is he our fittest player? Runs for the ninety minutes non stop and has started every game.

He's either found his level or improved. For me there is no way he's a championship striker yet, but this season he has shown a great improvement in terms of performances. The goal i've enjoyed the most this season was his against Watford purely because of how much he wanted it, his celebration that day showed a lot of passion too. I like hi and it's nice to hear as many boos when his name is announced. Also is he our fittest player? Runs for the ninety minutes non stop and has started every game.

i've always said harrold was never a championship striker. his level is league 1.

I am one of the biggest doubters of Matthew Harrold's ability to play in general. I have slagged him off left right and centre week in week out. I even got to the point when his name was called I didn't cheer, I didn't get excited by when he had the ball near the goal.

Yesterday was an amazing experience for me, he really showed he has got the ability and was very very unlucky to not have a goal or two. I could see him doing a Peter Crouch taking his time to score but when he does he wont stop!

The performence yesterday like most have said has been his best in a Southend United shirt and I hope to see more if not better from the bloke espeically the end product. But my hate of Harrold has turned into a new found likening of the bloke.

Well Done Harrold.

Actually, I find all the fact that his finishing during matches is still off. Because if you watch him closely when Tilly does his shooting warm-ups with the strikers, his finishing is incredible, even from distance. Makes me think that the fact he can't do it in the match is all in his head, rather than anything to do with natural ability (admittedly I haven't seen any of the said shooting warm-ups this season, but it was certainly the case last season!)

Thought his passion and comitment was first class and well deserving of the standing ovation he got from all the East stand when he was subed. He was under tremendous presure to do well with so many waiting in the wings but after his display I have no doubt Tilly will keep faith with him. He should take comfort from Heskeys display for England too as they are both simular type of players. Neither are prolific goal scorers but prefere the ball into feet and waiting for the midfield to support. I think when results are not going our way its easey to put the blame on the guy whos not scoring enough goals, but now hopefully with a player with the tallent to shoulder that burden in Clarke, this may take a bit of presure off Harold to get on and play his natural game.

Harold has worked his nuts off so far this season and I felt sorry for him yesterday. You could see how disappointed he was and he deserved a goal. Not sure that him and Clarke would be a good partnership though. Both targetmen who hold the ball up well. Clarke woluld be good with MacDonald I think.

Harold has worked his nuts off so far this season and I felt sorry for him yesterday. You could see how disappointed he was and he deserved a goal. Not sure that him and Clarke would be a good partnership though. Both targetmen who hold the ball up well. Clarke woluld be good with MacDonald I think.

Clarke has come out and said his the exact opposite of a targetman though...

Matty Harrold is an example to anyone of the benefits of hard work and refusing to buckle in the face of criticism. He was outstanding yesterday against Gillingham. He led the line intelligently, linked well with Clarke and the midfield and hardly missed a header. He always gives 100% and deserves to win support from us fans. Whether or not he is a Championship striker is totally immaterial at the moment- we are in league 1, after all, and need to get out of this league before the debate becomes meaningful. Nevertheless, we looked dangerous in attack yesterday and it could just be that the pairing of Harrold and Clarke could be the one to fire us up the league. Here's hoping!!

He's done well in the past few games and he holds the ball up well. He'll grow in confidence once he gets a few goals in the league. He got 9 goals last time he played in League One, and I think he's capable of getting around 10 goals for us this season.

Totally agree, but saying Matt Harrolds played well seems to be banned on this MB...

Its good to see Matt winning a few people over, he seems to be first choice at the moment and I think he is benefiting from a run in the team.

@ BrettieAngel - love the picture on your sig - where was that taken?

Don't get why people continually have a pop at Harrold. He deserves his place in the starting XI

Heh heh like it!

Anyway, back to the point...the only thing Harrold hasn't done is score, which he'll need to do soon with the amount of strikers we have on the books.

Harrold has been kept on the pich at times this season simply cause he is taller than most in our team and hence useful when we are under pressure from set pieces as the pressure piles on the defence towards the game - a ploy which obviously has not worked.

Tilly needs to focus on Harrold as a striker - give him the shooting and forward heading practice he needs and see if he is up to it. I don't think he has much natural ability (s evidenced v a poor Gills defence when he still couldn't score) but you can't fault his effort.

Personally though I'd prefer to see MacDonald up there with Knight, or even Black.

Back