• Welcome to the ShrimperZone forums.
    You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which only gives you limited access.

Existing Users:.
    Please log-in using your existing username and password. If you have any problems, please see below.

New Users:
    Join our free community now and gain access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and free. Click here to join.

Fans from other clubs
    We welcome and appreciate supporters from other clubs who wish to engage in sensible discussion. Please feel free to join as above but understand that this is a moderated site and those who cannot play nicely will be quickly removed.

Assistance Required
    For help with the registration process or accessing your account, please send a note using the Contact us link in the footer, please include your account name. We can then provide you with a new password and verification to get you on the site.

Breaking News Southend United sign Paul Furlong

Furlong is as good as any. Would be happy to have a striker pool of Barnard, Revell, Furlong + A.N.Other though... young, quick guy - maybe get a Premier League youngster in on loan for the season?

young, quick & formerly on the books of a premier club?

hmmm

I've heard of a bloke called James Walker...

:whistling:

if you think you know more about the managerial side to football and what it takes to build a strong and sucsessful team then submit you're CV to the club and apply for a vacant position.

I hear MK Donuts are looking for a manager, hopefully one that will put them in the Bucks & Beds Combination League.

don't believe in spending the limited budget on has beens ..... its money spent without any chance of a return

but Tilson must have some sort of use for him -

dissappointing tho

tbf, Im sure there is a deal being thrashed behind the scenes and after being so successful here, i would be very surprised if he chose Swindon over sunny Southend

Last edited:
tbf, Im sure there is a deal being thrashed behind the scenes and after being so successful here, i ould be very surprised if he chose Swindon over sunny Southend

so you could be very surprised, or you would be very surprised or even should be very surprised

Ooh its a poser .. what did Bial mean ??:unsure:

so you could be very surprised, or you would be very surprised or even should be very surprised

Ooh its a poser .. what did Bial mean ??:unsure:

DOnt know what you are on about.....
icon12.gif

don't believe in spending the limited budget on has beens ..... its money spent without any chance of a return

but Tilson must have some sort of use for him -

dissappointing tho

Optimistic then.

No Chance of return? If he helps bring on our younger strikers, and they start banging in goals then it's not no return. And that's if he doesn't score a few himself which did - 12 times - last season in a team on its way to relegation.

Very happy with this signing. According to my Luton mate, Furlong was one of their best players last season even though that wasn't hard apparently.

Fits the "Goater Role" better than anybody else that was suggested the other day. 12 goals for a **** side is a cracking return, and the guy I think he will help the most is Walker. Walker has the attributes to be a decent striker and having someone like Furlong who has been their, done that and got the t-shirt can only be a good thing.

I'd delighted with our 4 signings so far. Now if we can get Grant and Mulgrew in plus a few others, I'd be buzzing.

I think this is a great signing. Anyone who is approaching 40 and still playing at this level must have a fantastic attitude to the game, and that is hopefully going to get passed on to the rest of the squad.

always gave 110% when ive have seen him play....

I have always liked him and looking forward to seeing him in Southend Colours

club like ours needs an old head sometimes.... just maybe this could turn out to be our signing of the season ??

Last edited:
think personally this is a shocking signing, a 40 year old from a team that got relegated is not a good move, are we really a team that has ambitions to be in the championship?? Its not like a goater, where the player had an awesome cv, this guy has been a jobbing footballer most of his life

If free transfers for 40 year olds are the extent of our ambition, then boy we must be in some sort of financial trouble

I think this is a great signing. Anyone who is approaching 40 and still playing at this level must have a fantastic attitude to the game, and that is hopefully going to get passed on to the rest of the squad.

either that , or got some gambling debts to pay off.....

think personally this is a shocking signing, a 40 year old from a team that got relegated is not a good move, are we really a team that has ambitions to be in the championship?? Its not like a goater, where the player had an awesome cv, this guy has been a jobbing footballer most of his life

If free transfers for 40 year olds are the extent of our ambition, then boy we must be in some sort of financial trouble

Our other signings this summer have been two young players from a championship club and a rival's first choice keeper, so Furlong clearly isn't the limit of our ambition.

Furlong's CV is actually pretty similar to Goater's. Goater only had a season or two in the top flight, most of his goals were with Man City in the championship or league one. Goater had been playing reserve team football the previous season, whilst Furlong was actually playing first team football.

But then I can't say I'm surprised that you've found it to be a negative move. What was the last move Southend made that you actually found to be a positive one - Dave Webb signing Brett Angell? Or was he too unproven at division three for you?

Lets get some perpective here.

Firstly the bloke is a free transfer (ie) no money has changed hands.
I very much doubt that he is on big wages. We have and are in the process of getting rid of Harrold Hooper and Foran aswell as charlie mac (mistake IMHO) so that free's up or will free up 4 x strikers wages.
I dont for one minute think the Furlong is looking at a first team spot.
He is here to coach the youngster (we have lot of them) and pass on his knowledge of the game (20 years worth) and do a job when required.

If this doesnt not work out then what have we really lost?
I personally think its a very good signing and i would like to see chrissy powell come and in work with our defence in the same way.

I firmly beleive that we will sign another striker anyway hopefully Robson Kanu or if not another loanee from a premier side for the season.

I think we are about 5 signing from being a top 4 side and furlong is another piece of that. From all accounts the man is a total pro and is still in good shape scoring goals and wants to coach and help tilly and brushy.

Whats negative about that????

its a tricky one my northern friend, one mans meat is another mans poison
there has been numerous good signings over the 40 years or so I ahve been following the shrimpers, but you are happy with a 40 year old, thats fine, I am happy for you personally I would rather have ayounger player, with something to prove, and hungry for success, I cant see furlong going that extra mile, it just seems to me, that if we are reduced to signing 40 year olds on frees, then thats the extent of our ambition but hey enjoy

Ask a Col U supporter, did Sherringham help thier players? I'm certain they would all say YES (irrespective of relegation).
Did Goater help our players?..stupid question!
If Furlong does half the job the Goat did, it will be a good job, well done.
Now, what if he's better???...oh my.
Maybe we are seeing our new Manager being born.....?

Back